Windows 7 Need Help installing VFAPI Codec

Zeos

Link Removed due to 404 Error

The Vfapi Codec is an old Frameserver that is used in video encoding. It hasn't been updated for years but under older OS's has served its purposes flawlessly. Now with Win7 I can open and run the program with compatibility mode and make Vfapi files. However, I cannot install the CODEC that allows for the _vfapi.avi files to be opened in video editing programs.

Here is a link to the program (474KB) Download VFAPI Reader Codec v1.05 (freeware)

The install has always been run the .bat file and enjoy. I tried that under admin and even tried copying the DLL and INF to the system32 folder manually to no avail.

Please help me install the codec. With force in necessary.

EDIT: Here is the one line from the .bat file.

Code:
rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection vifp.inf,DefaultInstall

Last edited:
XP Mode as an alternative for now

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

While not exactly the ideal solution to your problem, XP Mode in this instance may be justified. This can probably be used until a definate solution is found for this problem. Also whether or not you are using Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit may play an important factor in the codec compatibility.

Download Windows XP Mode

Some interesting information was also found here, which could be of relevance to you in solving your problem:

VFAPI and Windows 7 Problems - Doom9's Forum

It appears there may be some ways to bypass this codec, or to use a codec add-on for another piece of software to accomplish your objective.

Some more information can be found here which you may already have seen:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

It looks like someone may need to re-write the codec for Windows 7 at this point in time, but unsure.

Thank you for the helpful reply. I have seen the pages you linked before and want to post on the doom9 forums but they have required a 5 day wait after registering to post.

I may give the WinXP mode a try.

Back
Top Bottom