Windows 7 Need help repairing Windows 7 partition

zardoz

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone can give me some help on this problem I'm having. I'm doing a favor for a friend and fixing her computer. The problem is that as soon as windows boots up it starts up in Startup Repair. Startup repair does not fix the computer, it gives an error that says it cannot fix it automatically.

So naturally I tried to repair computer from the Windows 7 install disk.

However, I get this error when I use startup repair from the installation disk:

Code:
Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automaticaly

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200432
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 35
Problem Signature 07: CorruptFile
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.265.1

It does show their is a Windows 7 partition there that is > 200 gb, but it does not recognize it as a Windows OS for some reason.

When I try

bootrec /ScanOs

I get

Code:
Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully

This seems strange to me.

I have no clue how to fix it and have no idea how she messed up her computer, but I suspect it may be because she might have deleted important files.

My last resort would be to do a fresh install as I have no idea what sort of files she has saved and I wouldn't want to destroy anything important.

Also, (and this may be obvious) I have no idea what version of Windows 7 she has or what service pack. She is a computer illiterate so I doubt she knows(I'm using my install disk).

Any help would be welcome.

Have you tried tapping the F8 key repeatedly while booting up? Can you get into safemode at all?

Have you tried tapping the F8 key repeatedly while booting up? Can you get into safemode at all?

Yes, but I get an error message that it fails to start. I cannot start windows normally it will start up in startup repair regardless.

The installation disk says it is incompatible with the version of windows installed so I suppose fixing it from the install disk is ruled out altogether as well.

Last edited:
Hi there;

Here's the solution I would offer you:
Yes, you need to do a clean install...
1. Find the COA on her machine; not only does it have the Key on it but, it will, also, state which version of 7 it is.
2. Take the HDD out & hook it up to another machine. She must be able to tell you what data/files she wants/needs to keep. Usually it's Photos & other stuff in (My) Documents, @ least & maybe more, as well. Save whatever to that machine (to retrive later) or onto disc or flash drive.
3. Put her HDD back in & do a clean install... that can be done from your disc but, you use her Key, from (again) that sticker on her machine. It's the Key that is important not, the disc. All Windows 7 SKUs are on the OS discs... it's the Key that determeines what you get installed.

The reason, I suspect, it won't start, even in Safe, is corruption in the registry files & or the Boot is broken or missing. Hence the need to clean install.

Once you have the OS rebuilt, put in MSE & all the Windows Updates. Then put back the data/files which, were saved.

I trust this helps.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi there;

Here's the solution I would offer you:
Yes, you need to do a clean install...
1. Find the COA on her machine; not only does it have the Key on it but, it will, also, state which version of 7 it is.
2. Take the HDD out & hook it up to another machine. She must be able to tell you what data/files she wants/needs to keep. Usually it's Photos & other stuff in (My) Documents, @ least & maybe more, as well. Save whatever to that machine (to retrive later) or onto disc or flash drive.
3. Put her HDD back in & do a clean install... that can be done from your disc but, you use her Key, from (again) that sticker on her machine. It's the Key that is important not, the disc. All Windows 7 SKUs are on the OS discs... it's the Key that determeines what you get installed.

The reason, I suspect, it won't start, even in Safe, is corruption in the registry files & or the Boot is broken or missing. Hence the need to clean install.

Once you have the OS rebuilt, put in MSE & all the Windows Updates. Then put back the data/files which, were saved.

I trust this helps.

Cheers,
Drew

Yes thanks. I suspected as much. Luckily for her I have a external hard drive and linux livecd.

The repair CD, or whatever seems to be Windows 7 SP1 and the other without SP1, or vice versa.

A repair install may take several attempts to repair a problematic system. Sometimes shutting it down for the night will help, but 3 runs for the Repair to work are fairly normal.

It is strange though, I run an UEFI system. Anytime I boot an Install DVD in normal mode I get the message you describe. If, for some reason your girlfriend's computer is loaded as an UEFI system, you will need to hit F8 during the splash screen and select the DVD UEFI boot as opposed to a normal boot.

Back
Top Bottom