Windows 7 Need Help with HP Laserjet 4000 in Windows 7

janesdf

Hi,

My printer is a HP 4000 Laserjet which worked with my earlier versions of Windows on older computers (last version was XP). I was surprised when I bought this pc to see that the parallel port with pins was replaced by a usb port so I bought a usb adapter for my new pc. Well, nothing will print. After uninstalling and reinstalling, updating the printer drivers through windows, and much time searching, I found the hp section to download printer drivers for the 4000 series only to get a message saying that windows has blocked the download because the publisher is unknown, even though the download is coming directly from the hp website (HP Instant Support - Driver Check). Though I am the system administrator, and a bar pops up asking if I would like to download the software, I click "yes" then get the windows message that the download is blocked by windows (red shield with X).

I hope someone here can help me resolve this latest problem. Thank you.

I am running a Color Laserjet 4500, but I went the wireless route. It is even hard to find a wireless print server that has a parallel port.

It looks like you are using a different place to download drivers than this Link Removed - Invalid URL, so I do not know about the red X. The site you reference is trying to access your system for testing, so you may have to allow it through the firewall in both directions. Or maybe your anti-virus is blocking it.

If you use a USB to Parallel cable, is there a driver for it also?

Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7?

Last edited:
Hi, I did a quick run to the HP site and was told that drivers were available on my machine and to just "plug n play".

block.jpgHi,

I have Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit. The site that you referenced below is the one I tried to download the drivers from and windows is blocking the download, even though I'm using my "administrator" account. There is no option to download, windows just blocks it without giving me a choice. I know it's not my antivirus blocking it. I also downloaded the Universal Print Driver from Link Removed - Invalid URL and that didn't help either. Still not printing. The cable I'm using is a 36 pin USB to Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Adapter Cable, didn't come with any drivers. Didn't know cables needed one since before my older pcs used the parallel port cables with never any problems.

The "red X" is the windows icon when it blocks a download. Image is attached to this message.

I am running a Color Laserjet 4500, but I went the wireless route. It is even hard to find a wireless print server that has a parallel port.

It looks like you are using a different place to download drivers than this Link Removed - Invalid URL, so I do not know about the red X. The site you reference is trying to access your system for testing, so you may have to allow it through the firewall in both directions. Or maybe your anti-virus is blocking it.

If you use a USB to Parallel cable, is there a driver for it also?

Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7?

When you connect the printer to your new computer with the Parallel to USB adapter and turn everything on and open the Device and Printers window, does the HP laserjet 4000 show up?
If no then, If you click the add printer link, and step through the wizard what happens?
My windows 7 ultimate 64bit install has native drivers for the HP laserjet 4000 series already available (PCL5, PCL6 and PostScript), have you tried using those?

Hi,

The HP Laserjet 4000 does show up and I have it designated as my default printer. However, when I try to print anything at all, it does not print and a yellow exclamation point (trouble icon) appears in the middle of the printer. I have run the trouble shooter numerous times, it says the problem is fixed, including using windows Mr. Fixit, try to print and again, no printing. I have also uninstalled the printer, installed the printer (using "Add Printer" link) and I just seem to be going around in circles. This happens with the HP Laserjet 4000 PCL6 and PCL5, have not tried it with the postscript printer yet as I didn't think it would work with my laserjet. However, I will try it after I send this message, it certainly can't hurt. Also, love the rugged, outdoorsman photo. Jane

When you connect the printer to your new computer with the Parallel to USB adapter and turn everything on and open the Device and Printers window, does the HP laserjet 4000 show up?
If no then, If you click the add printer link, and step through the wizard what happens?
My windows 7 ultimate 64bit install has native drivers for the HP laserjet 4000 series already available (PCL5, PCL6 and PostScript), have you tried using those?

The cable you have does not support certain print features that may be part of that driver. So ......
See if you can look around inside printer properties
Open devices and printers, select then right click the LJ4000 and choose "Printer Properties" near the middle of the context menu, not "Properties.
Look at the various tabs available especially the advanced tab, see if you can disable bi-directional printing usually a check box, you may want to experiment with different features on and off, like advanced printing features checked and unchecked, print directly to printer, etc.,
See if any of that makes a difference.
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy
EDIT: Note when you make these changes you may have to clear any documents from the print queue that may be hung in there and you may have to stop and start the print spooler service or reboot the computer, not absolutely sure.

Last edited:
You did not mention if this a laptop or desktop, if you become totally frustrated trying to get this work you may want to consider purchasing a parallel PC board for your PC if a desktop.

I would give you my settings, but it is a wireless connection and not a USB one. I will say I show printing as LPR and not RAW on the Port Settings.

If there are any other settings I can help with, let me know.

PROBLEM SOLVED and here is how. Out of frustration, I again searched online using the words "old printer won't print with usb cable" and one of the links was for a Sabrent SBT cable sold on Amazon.com. I decided to read the reviews thinking I might need a new cable and here is what I found in one of the reviews: "... Then I went into the printer properties and switched from the standard printer port to USB. ..." So, I changed the port to USB instead of the default standard printer and immediately my printer printed a test page. I printed a couple more pages and it's working like a charm. Though I stumbled onto the solution myself, I greatly, greatly appreciate the wonderful help all of you provided. Thank you so very much! Jane

I would give you my settings, but it is a wireless connection and not a USB one. I will say I show printing as LPR and not RAW on the Port Settings.

If there are any other settings I can help with, let me know.

PROBLEM SOLVED and here is how. Out of frustration, I again searched online using the words "old printer won't print with usb cable" and one of the links was for a Sabrent SBT cable sold on Amazon.com. I decided to read the reviews thinking I might need a new cable and here is what I found in one of the reviews: "... Then I went into the printer properties and switched from the standard printer port to USB. ..." So, I changed the port to USB instead of the default standard printer and immediately my printer printed a test page. I printed a couple more pages and it's working like a charm. Though I stumbled onto the solution myself, I greatly, greatly appreciate the wonderful help all of you provided. Thank you so very much! Jane

I have a similar setup and problem. USB - parallel adapter cable, drivers are installed, Win 7 recognizes the printer, and the printer is set as default. I thought of changing to a USB port, but none is listed in the printer properties. Is there a way to create one?

This setup was working fine with XP, but our IT dept. "upgraded" me to Win 7. They couldn't fix this problem, so they left me logged in as admin so I could try to fix it. Still stumped. Old thread, I know, but I'm getting desperate.

Craig

I am currently in Windows 8 so I will have to reboot to 7 if I want to check, but when you check the Devices and Printers dialog and properties for your printer, you should be able to set up ports. Make sure you use the properties option in the middle of the context menu, since the one on the bottom is not an administrative one. I think one says properties, and the other says printer properties or something similar.

I am currently in Windows 8 so I will have to reboot to 7 if I want to check, but when you check the Devices and Printers dialog and properties for your printer, you should be able to set up ports. Make sure you use the properties option in the middle of the context menu, since the one on the bottom is not an administrative one. I think one says properties, and the other says printer properties or something similar.

I've been to the printer properties menu, and in the ports tab I unchecked bidirectional printing, then tried to switch to a USB port, but there isn't one in the dropdown menu. An earlier post here gave instructions for creating a new USB port, but I haven't been able to make that work.

So how do I set up a port? Give me the dummy's version?

Craig

On the properties for your printer, there is a Ports tab. Make sure your printer is selected on that listing as shown below and select Add Port. I can't go through the process, because it will mess up my install, but you should be able to add a USB port and configure it to show what you need.

Some USB driver installs ask you to wait until you have the drivers installed before you connect the device, so I suppose you have followed the instructions you are given regarding that? How you are able to configure the port may depend on the drivers for the printer. On my Epson wireless All-in-One, it just shows an Epson dialog to set it up.

Maybe if you were to use the snipping tool to take some pictures and attach using the Upload a File button, we could see if something is needed. But things like the printer queue and bidirectional support may be involved.

Back
Top Bottom