Windows 8 NEED WINDOWS 8 HELP IMMEDIATLY

Do you prefer windows vista, windows 7, or windows 8?

• Windows 8

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Windows vista

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aiqbal16

Yesterday, when I got on my computer ( ASUS WINDOWS 8 - CORE: I5) java wanted an update. I usually update EVRYTHING so I decided "why not?" I clicked on the pop up from java and continued. You know the part where you have to put in an administrator password? Well, instead of that, there's a message saying, please connect smart card. I took it to my tech teacher for repair, he didn't know! HOW DO I GET PASSED IT? And now, its not only java, its stuff I need for school.(Microsoft, photoshop etc.) And no, I don't download viruses/ ads.
I'll try to put snapshot.

"why not?".

That did it. If something is unusual, never give it a shot just like that. I never install a Java on my PC. But if some programs need Java to work, I just install it when I need it and then get rid of it right away. Java works like a malware (in my opinion). Though it is not a malware per se, I don't let it stay on my PC for long. But clearly what you thought was Java asking permission to get updated isn't really what you think it is. Your PC seemed to be hijacked by some sort of virus. Try running Malwarebytes, SuperAntispayware and HitMan Pro altogether and see if that will fix the problem. But if you can't boot up into the system, the only way out of it is to do a system recovery (wiping out the hard drive, but back up your data if you can).

Nobody downloads a virus. Virus are not named as "virus". They attached themselves to something like what you thought is a Java update.

Last edited:
I don't see a virus from that but (Microsoft, photoshop and java etc.) will all want to go to the internet for updates and activations.

1st step is to go to the device manager and see if the computer has any hardware issues.
dm101.png

If you have a "my pc" icon on the desktop you can right click it and select "properties" then pick device manager from the top left or otherwise go to the "control panel" and look for it there.

I would suspect that the computer thinks it needs a special connection which has changed but we need more info before we can be sure.

p.s. badrobot has a valid point and running different scans (not at the same time of course) is a much safer system than just believing what one tells you.

To be clear, never EVER have two or more anti-virus programs on the system at the same time but un-install them before putting a different one on.

Hi

My rule generally is never install any updates unless I get them from the parent company.
Especially if I get a popup saying that I need to update something.

If I get a popup saying I need to update Java, (and I do frequently) I go to Sun Microsystems or File Hippo (someplace I trust, and know who I am downloading it from) click on the update Java button.

I sometimes find that I didn't really need to update it at all and the popup was a scam.

I've never had any update ask for my Administrator Password, that sounds very fishy.

Same with any program installs, go to the people who make it not a third party.
A lot of people will offer downloads for popular software like CCleaner or Malwarebytes just so they can attach adware (or sometimes something worse) to it.

Java is a common snair for adware installers because pretty much everyone needs to install it, but it doesn't come with Windows.
A lot of stuff doesn't work without it, much of my video stuff depends on it.

I second, or third?, running several different scanners.

Like many of the people here I use Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows Firewall, but augment them by running CCleaner, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

I run all three of these every day.
And for defragmenting my hard drives I use Defraggler from the same folks who make CCleaner.

Go to their web page and they will send you to File Hippo to get the download.

Last if you have a restore point made before you did the update and can log in, see if you can restore to that.

Since it's a brand new computer if nothing else works your best bet is to use the built in restore partition to put it back the way it was when you got it.

Restore Asus Netbook, from the Recovery Partition
  • Start your Netbook and press the F9 key on your keyboard until you see a loading screen.
  • The restoration program prepares the files needed for the operation.
  • A message appears asking if you want to perform the operation. You will lose all files on your machine.
  • Confirm by clicking ?.
  • The restore process is done automatically, without any human intervention.
  • At the end of restoration, the machine will reboot on its own and make configurations.
  • A restart is performed again, and you find yourself on the setup process of Windows, same as the first boot after buying the Netbook.
If your Asus is not a Netbook, check with the Asus website to see if the procedure is different.

Mike

Last edited:
I don't see a virus from that but (Microsoft, photoshop and java etc.) will all want to go to the internet for updates and activations.

1st step is to go to the device manager and see if the computer has any hardware issues.
View attachment 26528

If you have a "my pc" icon on the desktop you can right click it and select "properties" then pick device manager from the top left or otherwise go to the "control panel" and look for it there.

I would suspect that the computer thinks it needs a special connection which has changed but we need more info before we can be sure.

p.s. badrobot has a valid point and running different scans (not at the same time of course) is a much safer system than just believing what one tells you.

To be clear, never EVER have two or more anti-virus programs on the system at the same time but un-install them before putting a different one on.

MANNN the problem is that I CANT OPEN COMPUTER OR CONTROL PANEL! I THINK ITS A VIRUS! WHAT SHOULD I DO, IM GOING TO DOWNLAOD AVAST!!!!

I will say it again..try these 3 scanners one after the other.. 1.) MalwareBytes 2.) SuperAntiSpyware & 3.) Hitman Pro.
Avast is mostly for protection to avoid infection. The "virus" have already set itself in. If the 3 scanners did not help, you need to do a system recovery to remove the virus (hard drive will be wiped out).

Hi

I think he's saying he can't login.

If you can't access your computer look at the reset option to return it to it's original settings.

Recovering Your Notebook PC Using Recovery Partition

The Recovery Partition quickly restores your Notebook PC’s software to its original working state. Before using the Recovery Partition, copy your data files (such as Outlook PST files) to USB storage devices or to a network drive and make note of any customized configuration settings (such as network settings).

About the Recovery Partition
The Recovery Partition is a reserved space on your hard disk drive
used to restore the operating system, drivers, and utilities installed
on your Notebook PC at the factory.

IMPORTANT! DO NOT delete the partition named RECOVERY.
The Recovery Partition is created at the factory and cannot be
restored if deleted. Take your Notebook PC to an authorized ASUS service center if you have problems with the recovery process.

IMPORTANT! Remove the optional secondary hard disk drive
before performing system recovery on your Notebook PC.
According to Microsoft, you may lose important data because of setting up Windows on the wrong disk drive or formatting the incorrect drive partition.

Using the Recovery Partition:

1. Press [F9] during bootup.

2. Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled].

3. Select the language you want to recover and click Next.

4. Read the ASUS Preload Wizard messages and click Next.

5. Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:

Recover Windows to first partition only.
This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive “C”.

Recover Windows to entire HD.

This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates
a new system partition as drive “C”.

Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.
This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions “C” (0%) and “D” (40%).

Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

Visit the ASUS website at www.asus.com for updated drivers and utilities.

Mike

I will say it again..try these 3 scanners one after the other.. 1.) MalwareBytes 2.) SuperAntiSpyware & 3.) Hitman Pro.
Avast is mostly for protection to avoid infection. The "virus" have already set itself in. If the 3 scanners did not help, you need to do a system recovery to remove the virus (hard drive will be wiped out).

I can open the control panel now, some of the things that weren't working is working, yes! but I didn't use malawarebytes or avast... I waited. And now when I downloaded malaware bytes and I had to put an administrator password for "would you like his program to make changes" and I waited, after a while the "connect smart card disappeared and it said please wait, and I waited. I think I am one more step closer to beating this virus

Do I understand you correctly in that you are just a normal user on the computer and not an Administrative user? Does the computer belong to someone else and that is how it was set up by that Admin?

The smart card thing might be a way of getting the password access, or the system thinks it does.

Hi

You can make a screenshot with the snipping tool which is part of Windows.
Find it in the Programs list and add it to the Task Bar.

Then just click on it and drag across the window or the area with the error message in it.

Save it to your desktop.

Unfortunately you can't upload images to this forum any more.

You will have to upload the image to something like Photobucket then put in the URL for the image to have it appear in the post.

ForumImage_zpsd8816aee.jpg

This can actually be done in just a few seconds once you get the hang of it.

But you will have to create an account with an online image storage website.

I use Photobucket it's free...

http://s1238.photobucket.com/

It's a big help for people on the forum to see what you are seeing.

Mike

Ps. I've never seen the Smart Card message.

Last edited:
Sorry Guys I forgot my other accounts pass.. So heres a snapshot of my problem..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 359
I highlighted the Admin. Picture, because I could not get a snap of the real problem.. When I click on a exe or app that has the admin. sign, it says [where your supposed to put your password...] Please Insert Smart Card... Please help! My cousin is a computer engineer in collage, and he cant fix it.. He says I should restart my whole computer.. BUT I DONT WANT TO! I have valuable stuff on it :( And yes this is my computer. I set it up. Please help!

Hi

I you have a lot of stuff on your computer you don't want to lose, you need to copy it to someplace else first.

If you don't have a huge amount of stuff you could put it on DVDs.

If you have a lot then you should get an external hard drive.

They are pretty cheap now days, you can get a lot of space for little money.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E83X9P8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400518362&sr=1-1&keywords=external hard drive

To copy the data, you should make a Ubuntu disk, and use it to boot your computer.
Then you can use the file utility in Ubuntu to copy the stuff off of your computer.

The whole process of downloading and making the disk shouldn't take over 20 minutes.

Once the data's safe you can reset your computer to factory state.

Download Ubuntu here...

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

I recommend version 12.04.4 for max compatibility.
Use ImgBurn to make a bootable DVD from the file you download.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download&

I always have a Ubuntu disk laying around for things like this and they will boot pretty much any computer.
Pick the one appropriate for you PC, or just go with 32 bit it will work on anything.

This may have happened during the update, by Windows activating the Smart Card Service in services.

I had a similar problem this week.
The updates seems to have turned on Driver Verifier on my computer which kept throwing driver errors until my computer was unbootable

I had to load a system image to get it right again.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

You can make the Bootable Ubuntu disk first and try it, if you want.
Then you will know you can boot your computer before you get the external hard drive.

I've never had a computer that I couldn't boot with the Ubuntu disk.
Not only my own but others that I had to work on.

Mike

I guess I misunderstood this completely I thought that you were having problems accessing the data on your computer.

If you have access to everything on your computer I'd back up the really important files to DVDs just to be safe in case you do have something serious.

Are you saying that when you try and open Photoshop, it asks you to insert a smart card?

Can you try this...
I found this on another forum in response to someone having a problem like yours.

For the smart card pop up, if you don't have a smart card, you need to go into your services (start>control panel>administrative tools>services) and stop the smart card service, then set the startup type to manual or disabled. That removed the smart card pop up for my users that have just recently upgraded to windows 7. Hope this helps!

Back