Windows 7 Net work issue (error code 0x8007035)

l33t4l1ty

I have a server (windows server 2003) that has shared folders on it and also handles internet and dhcp. there are 21 computers connected to the network all ranging in OS from mac os 10, xp pro, and many different versions of vista. all the computers use the same user name and password to access the files and all the computers are able to do so without issues except for the 3 win7 computers. they are able to ping, connect to the server via remote desktop, and see the server in the workgroup. when trying to access the server via double click or \\server they are prompted for the user and password. once the put it in it comes right back up and gives the error code and or says user name or password invalid. i have disabled the 1pv6 on the win7 mechines, turned on all sharing options, changed the encryption between 56 git and 128 bit, enabled net bios over ipv4 and tryed to create a user name on the server specifically for them with a diff user name and password to no avail. my next step is to purge the netbios cashe from what i read on the other forums. i however dont think it is going to fix my problem. i am all out of ideas and am hoping someone has some sugestions. (also i have both 64 and 32 bit versions of 7 running so a fix for either makes someone happy)

thanks for the help

An obvious question, but an important one: Windows 7 imposes stronger password requirements over networks such as workgroups and domains. Did you use a strong password? (i.e. numbers, letters, upper case, lower case)

If so, lets assume Windows 7 is detecting you have too many workgroup connections? Accordingly, you can only have so many computers working on a workgroup congruently. This is why they established the Active Directory forest / domain controller architecture.

Just another piece of the puzzle. Is this a W2k3 domain, or Workgroup environment? In either case there may be an issue with conflicting group memberships. On the server, Go into AD user users and computers (if domain) or right click computer and choose manage and in the left pane select local users and groups. Double click on the "and tryed to create a user name on the server specifically for them with a diff user name and password to no avail"
user you referenced in that quote, on the "Member of" tab, examine the users group membership, compare that to one of the other users (maybe one from an XP machine or Vista machine) and see if there are any differences. Adjust accordingly. Keep us posted.

I am relitivly new to alot of this, the server was set up by a friend of mine to run our file server and internet here in iraq. so i am unfamiliar with some of the stuff. i no the server handles the dhcp and the file shareing while the program (some kind of hot spot software) handles the internet access and accounts for the internet. how would i be able to tell if it is a domain or workgroup set up. i will try new username and difficult password also to see if that makes any difference (ill also place the username in a seperate group)

Just re-read you original post and it seems the only thing you are actually having trouble with is the credentials prompt when attempting to access shared files or folders on the Win2k3 server. Depending on what the credentials prompt looks like, you may or may not have an opportunity to choose "Another User" if you do fine choose that, if not, then in either case make sure you are entering the username and password with the correct format. The username should take this format machinename\username that is to say TheNameOfTheWin2k3server\UsernameOnTheWin2k3server and then of course the password for that username on the W2k3 Server. Make sure you tick the box that says remember and See if that helps you get buy this issue. Post back and let us know. I hope it's not something related to client access licenses, I'm not sure how W2k3 server handles an up level client like Win7, comming at it when there are no more device licenses to hand out. I gues we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

its still not working. i used the login format like you said and it thought about it for a good bit but then poped the prompt right back up. i also did some searching around and found for some people starting cirtain services fixes the problem, however not in my case. i have also been talking with the guy who set the server up connecting and adding files to if from his win7 computer and he is stumped (i also tried compared services with his to a new mechine here and got the same results). as far as the server it is not a domain it is a computer on the network basicly. i also tried setting up accounts as the computers name with and wthout passwords and also had no results. any other ideas cuase im out, my tech guy is out, and google looks as confused as i am...lol

Try this, just as an experiment for the time being to see if we can get past this issue and maybe better understand the actual problem.
On the Win2k3 server, right click on My Computer and choose manage on the left side expand local users and groups, select users, right click and choose new user. Now add a new user and call him TestUser give him a password of P@$$w0rd unselect user must change password and select password never expires. Now once that is done, double click that user in the right panel and on the "Member Of" tab choose add near the bottom, click the advanced button near the bottom, and then on the find now button near the middle on the right the administrators group should be highlighted so just click OK. Now once that is done in the "Member of" tab select users and choose remove and OK. Now do the same thing on the Win 7 machine and log on as TestUser with password and let us know if that works. If it does, then you have a problem with competeing share and ntfs permissions as well as issues with conflicting group membership. Keep us posted. When this is done you can always go back and delete the TestUser we've created for this experiment.

Last edited:
Now do the same thing on the Win 7 machine and log on as TestUser with password and let us know if that works.

Im a little lost as to what you want me to do on this part, im not all that familiar with win7 either. do you want me to simply attempt to log on after i make the test user and complete the steps on the server or is there something i need to do on the win7 machine?

Im a little lost as to what you want me to do on this part, im not all that familiar with win7 either. do you want me to simply attempt to log on after i make the test user and complete the steps on the server or is there something i need to do on the win7 machine?

No just create the account as I described on the server, you do not need nor should you ever need to log onto the server using that account (it just needs to be there).
Then create the identical account on the Windows 7 machine, if it's Win7 pro, enterprise, or ultimate, the technique should be identical, then log on to the Windows 7 machine with that user account and see if the problem issues still persist.

OK, could you please be a little more specific as to what "it said it could not find it (like the win7 computer was not pluged in)" means. So far we've created a new admin user on the W2k3 server, we've created the identical user on the Win7 machine. We need to make sure that both computers have the same workgroup name, which I thought we had already discussed but perhaps not, so check the workgroup on the W2k3 server and change the Win7 machine workgroup name to match. Then
ping the server from the Win7 machine by ipaddress
ping the server from the Win7 machine by name
then in the Win7 machine's run dialog box type \\ipAddressOfServer\AshareNameOnTheServer
then try the same thing only using the server's name instead like \\ServerName\AshareNameOnTheServer
Let us know if any of these steps fail or are successful, and please be specific as to the individual results of each step.

Back