Windows 7 Network adapter repeatedly disconnecting.

Hi - I'm having exaclty the same issues as described in this thread. I'm on Windows 7 Premium 32-Bit and my Network Controller is Nvidia.

Anytime I use applications on Facebook, stream a large movie or play an online game my connection drops and I have to Disable/Enable my Ethernet connection.

I originally upgraded from Vista so I went back and ran a full install. Now there's now nothing on my PC apart from Windows 7 and IE8 but the problem remains. I tried disabling DHCP and using a static IP address but this made no difference.

Has anyone tried the suggestion in the post above yet and does it work? If so I'm going to try it after work as this problem is driving me nuts lol!

I take it your new, so am I. I had posted a reply to this thread yesterday. Its a day old. Try the solution that I posted and post back if it worked or not. Its on the 4th page of this thread.

I take it your new, so am I. I had posted a reply to this thread yesterday. Its a day old. Try the solution that I posted and post back if it worked or not. Its on the 4th page of this thread.

Yes - You notice I was asking if anyone had tried your solution to see if it worked? However, as no one did i decided to try it :D

First of all there doesn't seem to be any Administrator Account, just the user I created during install and a disabled Guest Account. I did see an option to create one in the Administration tools but I didn't go down that path. I thought I'd just try and remove the NIC's anyway and this seemed to work. When I rebooted it 'seemed' to me to install exactly the same drivers as before but I then tested it. For about an hour I was able to hit all the areas which previously would have caused my connection to drop out. Performance was as I expected.

Just as I was about to leap for joy my connection hung but this time, according to windows anyway, it said it was a problem with my router. Disable/Enable of the Ethernet connection didn't work, power cycling the router didn't work nor did rebooting the PC. It took about three reboots with the router switched off before whatever was clogging my connection was removed.

So I think your suggestion has helped me and now I'm experiencing something new! Back to more research!

TY very much for posting it, I hope it helps others as well.

I'm also having this same prob, and I'll try the fix mentioned by dbl17z. All correlations are the same: Windows 7 x64, and fresh nVidia chipset drivers installed. I found that in addition to the high-throughput disconnects, I could also get it to disconnect with some heavy LAN traffic. I never had a problem with Steam downloads, though.

dbl17z, are you saying that Windows 7 has some built-in drivers for handling either/both of my onboard network adapters? Because when I was running Windows XP x64, I had to install the chipset/ethernet drivers to get the adapters to work - as with any machine I've owned in the past.

I too have the very same problem. I followed the excellent guide that dbl17z provided us with but unfortunately that didn't solve my problem. If possible my problem actually got worse.

My motherboard is ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5LD2-Deluxe Rev 1.xx with an integrated Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

I tried to solve this problem by changing my nic so I bought a D-Link DFE-530TX adapter which obviously didn't solve my problem.

I'm thinking of going back to Vista/XP since I can't use my computer with the internet-connection dropping every second minute.

I have the same thing but Im using the same hardware as Ive used on all the beta and other builds without this problem... looks like somthing is up with the official release :(

I have the Asus p5b-plus with the Atheros L1 gigabit adapter and I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. I was getting frequent disconnects when transferring large files over the network or downloading torrents. This required me to run through the troubleshooter each time to allow it to work temporarily again.

I fixed this by going into the driver properties panel> Advanced> Task Offload> Off. After it reset I was running fine.

I have fixed mine now.

My Motherboard has four gigabit NICs and the Asus drivers allows you to Team them together into one fast connection. I have two teamed together to get a 2GB connection and it hasn't lost connection since..

Not too sure if this will help others, but wanted to post here what I have seen out int he world as well in regards to this issue.

I have installed Windows 7 on hundreds of PC's (old and new). A vast majority of them were installed here at my house and tested, updated and burned in before I allow them to walk out the door. So here at the house, I have no issues with any of my computers dropping network connections. The hardware will vary greatly depending on what they are purchasing, however, one thing is always constant, they work when they leave.

Now, I have had people call me and tell me they have issues with their networks dropping constantly when they get it home, however, if they bring it to me, we can never replicate the issue. I went to people's houses and saw the issue myself and spent many hours working through this step by step.

After messing with things here at at their houses, I have found that their Routers were the cause of the issues. Now, it's not that their routers were not working, it's just that with Windows 7, IPv4 and IPv6 are running so if your router is not able to fulfill the IPv6 requests or ignore them, for some reason it will drop all network connections for that PC until you re-obtain an IP, however, it will then drop again after a bit.

To solve the issue, I just simply turned off IPv6 on the PC and no more network drops.

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right Click/Properties on your network connection > Uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" > Reboot (just to be sure)

I can't say this will help with ALL the issues, but I hope this will solve the problems if some.

I am working on compiling a list of routers that I know I have solved with this and will share it when I get it together.

Thanks all!

Talderon:
Good info, nice to know and looking forward to your router list. I have seen countless arguments about IPv6 on many forums, some saying that it can't be a problem since it's only used when it's used while others insist that is frequently a problem. Anyone who has used WireShark or other such network monitors can see DHCP solicitations comming from IPv6 on your network card if it's enabled and I can see how this might cause an issue with some routers that aren't able to handle or acknowledge such requests for addressing. So thanks again and some rep for you

Talderon:
Good info, nice to know and looking forward to your router list. I have seen countless arguments about IPv6 on many forums, some saying that it can't be a problem since it's only used when it's used while others insist that is frequently a problem. Anyone who has used WireShark or other such network monitors can see DHCP solicitations comming from IPv6 on your network card if it's enabled and I can see how this might cause an issue with some routers that aren't able to handle or acknowledge such requests for addressing. So thanks again and some rep for you
Ooops, accidentally hit Blog instead of Quick Reply... lol...

Thanks! I have the list hand written (somewhere) and am trying to find it, if I can't, I'll contact those users and see what routers they have to get the list again.

This isn't an issue that I have run across too many times, but I know that Netgear Range Max routers (couple different G models, have not ran into anyone who owns an N model) have cause me a LOT of pain as well as some REALLY old Linksys routers (wired and wireless (pre-Cisco)).

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right Click/Properties on your network connection > Uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" > Reboot (just to be sure)

I was having the same disconnect issues as the OP and this seemed to do the trick. Thanks, Talderon!

I am using windows 7 64 bit version also and i have suffered from network disconnections. Event 1014 quiet frequently. My network adapter seams to reset every 1 at the 29th-31st minute. Very strange, i am trying what Tal suggested. I hope it works. I am using the Belkin N-View series router. I also have ADSL 2 and i have contacted my ISP Internode to see if i have been disconnecting from them and i have had a flawless connection since joining them in October. Strangely enough this problem has been going on since i started using windows seven way back with the beta versions. I also play Aion online and i live in Australia. My latency to that game is horrible 750-800 so i use a latency site called lowerping - PuTTY/Proxycap. It gets dissconnected all the time every hour. I have tried another fix called Leatrix latency fix which also causes my to disconnect everyhour. So maybe its not the fixes it could just be that windows 7 doesn't like my router. So i unchecked IPV6 and rebooted my system. Hope this works cause this stuff is driving me crazy. I can't enjoy gaming or torrenting at all!

Last edited:
I am using windows 7 64 bit version also and i have suffered from network disconnections. Event 1014 quiet frequently. My network adapter seams to reset every 1 at the 29th-31st minute. Very strange, i am trying what Tal suggested. I hope it works. I am using the Belkin N-View series router. I also have ADSL 2 and i have contacted my ISP Internode to see if i have been disconnecting from them and i have had a flawless connection since joining them in October. Strangely enough this problem has been going on since i started using windows seven way back with the beta versions. I also play Aion online and i live in Australia. My latency to that game is horrible 750-800 so i use a latency site called lowerping - PuTTY/Proxycap. It gets dissconnected all the time every hour. I have tried another fix called Leatrix latency fix which also causes my to disconnect everyhour. So maybe its not the fixes it could just be that windows 7 doesn't like my router. So i unchecked IPV6 and rebooted my system. Hope this works cause this stuff is driving my crazy. I can't enjoy gaming or torrenting at all!

Did it help?

With the holidays, I haven't gotten my Router List together. :( It's been murder at work.

I'll get something going soon. :)

unfortunately no it didn't help, totaly... but i am hoping it will with further testing!

Last edited:
I've been reading this and a lot of the information, while helpful, didnt' really solve my problem. however, with windows 7 x64 it seems to WANT to take care of all interenet connections itself and I removed all linksys programs, like linksys internet advisor, and now it seems to be working perfectly fine. i guess windows 7 doens't like 3rd party programs helping take care of problems it can do itself. so, if you have an additional program that manages your network, take it off and see if that works.

I'm having the same issue. I'm guessing that it is the router. I've read a lot of other posts that talk about router overload. When I turn off other devices connected to the router, the problem is a lot less frequent.

Back