Windows 7 Network and Sharing- "not connected - no connections available"

lovemarie

Please Help :confused:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite M35X-S349

Problem No.1 - Where did my wireless networks go?
After installing Windows 7 I used an ethernet cable from my router to my computer and installed all of the updates. Once the updates were installed I was able to see the available wireless networks to join. Hooray I thought she is up an running with a wireless connection just as before with OS XP.

After trying to connect to my wireless network, within minutes the computer ran a troubleshooting diagnostic and said it fixed the problem. The fix was that I was no longer able to view or access the wireless networks. Poof - they just disappeared. So now I have to sit very close to the router and keep the ethernet cable plugged in to access the internet, which means now other computers can not access the network because I have the cable connected to my computer.

Problem No.2 - This occuured after fiddling around trying to fix Problem No.1
Although I am currently able to access the internet through an ethernet cable only - I have big red x reading "not connected - no connections available"

Please find a few screen shots below and ipconfig details below

Please help, as I am clueless and exhausted :frown:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Toshiba>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
PPP adapter Broadband Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 71.139.36.87
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::90d1:62e6:9efa:8f0e%11
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.143.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Tunnel adapter isatap.{B5BF895F-2DAB-4E18-B7AB-BDC9ADD48D05}:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Tunnel adapter isatap.{A0B65514-603F-4B47-BA11-BB55B421FE75}:
Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:478b:2457::478b:2457
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::1
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Attachments

• network_pic_1.PNG
    network_pic_1.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 813
  • network_pic_2.PNG
    network_pic_2.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,327
  • network_pic_3.PNG
    network_pic_3.PNG
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,187
Please Help :confused:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite M35X-S349

Problem No.1 - Where did my wireless networks go?
After installing Windows 7 I used an ethernet cable from my router to my computer and installed all of the updates. Once the updates were installed I was able to see the available wireless networks to join. Hooray I thought she is up an running with a wireless connection just as before with OS XP.

After trying to connect to my wireless network, within minutes the computer ran a troubleshooting diagnostic and said it fixed the problem. The fix was that I was no longer able to view or access the wireless networks. Poof - they just disappeared. So now I have to sit very close to the router and keep the ethernet cable plugged in to access the internet, which means now other computers can not access the network because I have the cable connected to my computer.

Problem No.2 - This occuured after fiddling around trying to fix Problem No.1
Although I am currently able to access the internet through an ethernet cable only - I have big red x reading \\\"not connected - no connections available\\\"

Please find a few screen shots below and ipconfig details below

Please help, as I am clueless and exhausted :frown:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Toshiba>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
PPP adapter Broadband Connection:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 71.139.36.87
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::90d1:62e6:9efa:8f0e%11
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.143.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Tunnel adapter isatap.{B5BF895F-2DAB-4E18-B7AB-BDC9ADD48D05}:
Tunnel adapter isatap.{A0B65514-603F-4B47-BA11-BB55B421FE75}:
Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:478b:2457::478b:2457
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::1
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

the ipv4 address starting 169. is an APIPA address assigned by net bios when your network card cannot see the default gateway and you then cannot be assigned an ip as your DHCP server is your router ...........

my first suspect would be drivers on your laptop, have you been to Link Removed due to 404 Error especially BIOS chipset and network card drivers ?

driver age is very old ??

have you run the windows 7 upgrade advisor to check your hardware compatibility ?

Last edited:
Hello ickymay,

Thank you for your reply. I have updated the drivers, ran windows 7 upgrade and bios. See attached.

wireless compatible.PNGCan it be a simple setting? Is there a 3rd program that can manage my networks and internet connect?

Hello ickymay,

Thank you for your reply. I have updated the drivers, ran windows 7 upgrade and bios. See attached.

View attachment 5503Can it be a simple setting? Is there a 3rd program that can manage my networks and internet connect?

well if you have a utility that tries to run your wireless connection this can interfere with windows zero config, a way to get around that is make sure one or the other is disabled and possibly only install the drivers for the modem by installing through device manger and pointing at an unpacked inf file ?

I am reading on google that You must not install Intel client manager ?

also unninstall any antivirus and third party firewall in case they are interfering ?

maybe you would be better served going to the Intel website for the latest drivers for your Network Card ?

Last edited:
ickymay is correct, you shouldn't need a third party network manager to resolve the issue. It looks to me like you may have possibly configured the Windows 7 machine to host and negotiate your PPPoE connection and that may be the actual cause of the problem. If your ISP uses PPPoE and requires a username and password for a connection, then you would probably, be best served by embedding that information on the router, rather than the Windows 7 machine. Maybe take a look at this thread and see if it helps
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/37292-pppoe-setting-up-static-ip-address.html

Last edited:
Back