Windows 7 Network Bridging in Win7 with two PC's and one FiOS router.

mgreen

Hey everyone;

I recently built a computer and I'm using an integrated NIC (only because I'm too lazy to buy my own) on two PC's.

My current PC is right next to the router, with a patch (Straight-Through) cable running to Port 1 on the Verizon FiOS router, and the Internet speed is incredible.

However..I have my custom PC upstairs, and I wired a 100' Cat6 Patch cable through the floor, and onto the ceiling, and dropping down so I can directly connect to the router (can't trust wireless all that much), and I have static IP addressing set for both PC's.

My main question(s) are:
-Why is the Internet connection much slower on the PC upstairs, than the one right next to the router? Could it be the cable and the data termination after some specified length of cable? I'm not entirely sure.
-Could I bridge this network so I can get out on the Internet at the same speeds as this one? (I tried to bridge it earlier, but an error occured saying that I need two LAN connections, but I only have 1 NIC in each PC).

Please, let me know; I'm interested in your responses.

*I've never done a network bridge before, so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:
I have done basic bridging through a computer by conecting the pc via eternet to the modem and added a second card and connected the pc via ethernet cross over cable to the other pc.

I think that your current home run to your router of 100 feet should be optimal and should provide performance similiar to what you are getting from the other PC that is physically closer however; UTP (unshielded twisted pair cabling) is subject to external interference so you may take a closer look at the run and make sure that you are avoiding any potential sources of interference. Make sure that the cable is far clear of any flourescent light fixtures, ceiling fan motors or vent fan motors, as well as any type of power converters (ac to dc adapters) basically any time of equipment that may be capable of generating any type of electro magnetic field interference. Also a careful inspection of the cat6 cable itself, for any physical damage as well as the actual terminal ends for proper crimping.

I think that your current home run to your router of 100 feet should be optimal and should provide performance similiar to what you are getting from the other PC that is physically closer however; UTP (unshielded twisted pair cabling) is subject to external interference so you may take a closer look at the run and make sure that you are avoiding any potential sources of interference. Make sure that the cable is far clear of any flourescent light fixtures, ceiling fan motors or vent fan motors, as well as any type of power converters (ac to dc adapters) basically any time of equipment that may be capable of generating any type of electro magnetic field interference. Also a careful inspection of the cat6 cable itself, for any physical damage as well as the actual terminal ends for proper crimping.

I think it just may be that problem. I moved my subwoofer & stereo out of the way of the cable, and I noticed a difference in the response times in pings. Before I moved it, the pings would read about 128ms, with the moving, it reduced to around 50ms. I do need to rerun the cable though, it's right next to a fluorescent light fixture.

OK, that is certainly progress. But 50ms pings is still too high for your setup. Should be in the low single digits. In the event that you are unable to preserve a nominal 18 inch seperation between your current run and any potential sources of EMF you may want to check into using shielded cabling.

OK, that is certainly progress. But 50ms pings is still too high for your setup. Should be in the low single digits. In the event that you are unable to preserve a nominal 18 inch seperation between your current run and any potential sources of EMF you may want to check into using shielded cabling.

I have moved the cable away from the light fixture, and I'm still getting some high ms from pings. I pinged my default gateway and got <1ms response time, which is very good. I pinged google, and got 1 response timed out and about 58 ms response time for the other 3 responses. Pinged facebook and was in the 120's ms. I don't really see what else could be in the way. I'm going to keep trying to fix it, or just go wireless and deal with slower responses :p

don't confuse what is happening on your Local Area Network (LAN) with what may or may not be happening on the network on the outside of your router thousands of things can impact how fast or slow the responses if any may be. And that has nothing to do with your internal network. Low single digits to your default gateway is as it should be and one ms to your default gateway is a good thing. Anything on the other side of your gateway is dependent upon you ISP's infrastructure and if you are not getting what you expect to get then you may want to get them involved to determine if the problem is with their line. I just pinged facebook and my responses were similar to your 94, 94, 95, 102 milliseconds. And I'm currently getting well in excess of 10 megs from my provider. I don't have a problem with my network and I don't suspect that you do either now that you have made some adjustments to your cable run.

Back