Windows 10 Network PC Needs Password

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
I have two Windows 10 PCs on a home network. When I try to access PC1 from PC2, I get a window that asks for a user name and password, which I don't remember. How do I reset the users and passwords on PC1?

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Jim

Hi,
Did you remember to setup W10 Homegroups for home networking? This is really important to do, otherwise, without a network server in your home or apartment which very few people have, you have to rely on setting up P2P (Peer-to-Peer) folder sharing through your LAN. This requires many steps, and takes intermediate to expert networking skills which few home users have. That's why Microsoft created the Homegroups concept back in 2009 in Windows7.:teeth: I would simply pick a PC, such as PC1 to be the Master, install your Homegroup, and then take the Homegroup password created on PC1 over to PC2, pull up Homegroups and use the password from PC1 Homegroups and enter it; and all will work without having to use passwords!:up:

Here's a tutorial on how to setup Homegroups:
How to Set Up a Homegroup Network in Windows 10 - For Dummies

Post back if you have further questions.

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi,
Did you remember to setup W10 Homegroups for home networking? This is really important to do, otherwise, without a network server in your home or apartment which very few people have, you have to rely on setting up P2P (Peer-to-Peer) folder sharing through your LAN. This requires many steps, and takes intermediate to expert networking skills which few home users have. That's why Microsoft created the Homegroups concept back in 2009 in Windows7.:teeth: I would simply pick a PC, such as PC1 to be the Master, install your Homegroup, and then take the Homegroup password created on PC1 over to PC2, pull up Homegroups and use the password from PC1 Homegroups and enter it; and all will work without having to use passwords!:up:

Here's a tutorial on how to setup Homegroups:
How to Set Up a Homegroup Network in Windows 10 - For Dummies

Post back if you have further questions.

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for your reply! I have never used HomeGroups. I have always have my own LAN group. And I have never had an issue sharing folders between LAN PCs. But, I just changed my router and this problem popped up. Maybe I will change my approach and use HomeGroups.

Regards, Jim

You're welcome! That's what we do here. :teeth:
Well, my guess is from doing home and business networking since 1980, is that you spent many many hours (probably 100+) getting your previous 2-PC folder/drive P2P sharing setup working.o_O If you didn't get it working yourself, and you brought some Tekky friend(s) in to help, they probably spent quite a few days at your place drinking your beer and eating your pizza to get that task accomplished.:beer_mug::pizza:hide: I usually charge several hundred dollars to do what you have had previously setup. :cash: My pricing also included wifi setup and printer sharing over the LAN as well. :)

You didn't mention what your previous windows versions were on those 2 PCs; but from XP-Vista era machines, that was quite a job for you.:yawn: If they were modern PCs; Win7 or W8x machines, and you didn't use Homegroups, that's like pulling out your own abcessed tooth with a pair of pliers and no local. I've done it, and it's rather painful.:moon: Did you ever see the movie Castaway?? Like I said, from W7 on, Homegroups made things easier, and no more having to have Tekky friends shack up at your place for weeks at a time! :rofl:

But, hey, it's your LAN, use it the way you want to! (a spin on the JG Wentworth TV ad; "it's your Money; use it when you want to!"). :ahaha:

Cheers!
<<<BBJ>>>

No, it wasn't that hard. I just used the WorkGroup feature. But, now I have just used the HomeGroup feature and I must admit, it is much easier than using WorkGroup! So, my all PCs are now on a HomeGroup network. Three PCs on Windows 10 and one on Windows 7.

Edit: I had been using WorkGroups since Windows XP, or what ever came before that.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards, Jim

Back