Windows 7 Network trials and tribulations

Commander_Cool

Hi, I am in the process of setting up a small (two PC's, both running Windows 7) network using a D-link DI-604 router (which acts only as hub, it's not set up in any way).
In the Network and 'Sharing Center' in 'Control Panel' I clicked 'Set up a New (Connection or) Network'.
All went well up until the moment I attempted to connect one PC with the other (In the 'Connect' dialog I entered the other PC's IP, no pwd).
I can use both PC's to connect to and browse the net though, so the router/hub does not seem to be the problem.
And I must have done something right, because the other computer shows up in the 'Network Map' as can be seen in one of the screenshots I will attach to this post.Perhaps somebody can figure out from them what's amiss here.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

PS: I tried to attach the .jpg's but it didnt work. Oh well...

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do here..
Are you trying to setup your router or bridge your two computers?

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do here..
Are you trying to setup your router or bridge your two computers?

Here I'll quote my original post: "...using a D-link DI-604 router (which acts only as hub, it's not set up in any way").

So all I want is to be able to reach PC1 from PC2 and vice-versa, transfer files, share printer etc.

The incoming cable is hooked up to the port labeled 'WAN' on the DI-604. PC1 and PC2 are hooked up to ports labeled "1" and "2" and from there to their respective network adapters.

Like I said, I can use both PC's as it is, full functionality, but cannot reach PC1's content from PC2 and the other way around.

I have tried to upload and attach screenshots and even a drawing I made of the setup, but (natch) it doesn't work.

When I try, there appears an exclamation mark inside a red circle to the right of the filename in the 'Attach a file..." dialog, but it doesn't upload, no messages to tell me what exactly went wrong.

Otherwise I'm good.
/Goran

I have the same problem. I have created a network that both laptops use to access the internet but cant access one another to file share.

I have the same problem. I have created a network that both laptops use to access the internet but cant access one another to file share.
Yeah, isn't it a drag? You'd think that by now, when PC:s have been around for some 30 years, it wouldn't be so difficult.
But it's still worse than having teeth pulled - w/o the benefit of anesthetics. I have posted in five other forums about this, around the same time as I posted here, and I am still in the same spot as I was when I started.
I got so sick of trying and getting nowhere, I decided to call it quits 'til sometime later. Much later.

Thanks Drew, I think I've been there but I'll give it another go sometime later and start from that point.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Ok, here's the BIG, meaningful, significant remark, "Both computers are running Windows 7" *

May I suggest, instead of the approach you are taking... use Homegroup! It makes 'networking' multiple computers (all) running Windows 7 * quick & easy... what you want is why it, Homegroup, exists.

Regards,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

Yes.... quick and easy............ if it works, but for many of us, it doesn't. Mitchell_A suggested in another thread that Homegroup may not be compatible with some routers. I've tried it with 4 different brands of routers, and have had no luck. The diagnostic tools are a joke, telling me my problem is the modem has no internet access, and little else. I'm not impressed with the ease of using Homegroup, and have given up on it.

If it is an issue with certain routers, a list of compatible models would be helpful.

Two quote someone who I admire and respect “Homegroups at there best are bad.”
That’s probably more a paraphrase than an exact quote, since I don’t remember who said it or when I read it. But seriously, I don't want to drag anyone back into the dark ages or away from HomeGroups if it's working fine for you but, can’t we all just agree that perhaps Homegroups is not all that handy and is not always the panacea for sharing that Microsoft had hoped.
1. So if your in one leave it set your workgoup name under computer properties to the same name (workgroup works fine) on all your networked computers.
2. Make sure that, if you don’t have a DHCP server, (Router, or whatever) on your network that you have an ip addressing scheme that is in keeping with industry standards (private reserved 192.168.nnn.nnn subnet class C 255.255.255.0 and if you want to get on the internet a default gateway address as well as a primary DNS server (these all would generally be provided by your router running DHCP or a properly configured Windows server running DHCP and DNS).
3. Uncheck IPv6 in the properties of your network adapter, since some older routers just don't seem to handle it well, if at all.
4. Let’s all make sure that we have username and password credentials with appropriate permissions configured identically on all the computers on the network.
5. Under network and sharing, change “Advanced Sharing Settings” intelligently to suit your needs. Turn on network discovery, turn on file and printer sharing, turn off pulic folder sharing, turn on password protected sharing, and at the bottom Use user accounts and password to connect to other computers.
6. Now, as since the beginning of time, share your folders and or files using share permissions and NTFS permissions which are under the security tab. Grant the appropriate user the appropriate permissions for your environment.
7. Please keep share names brief and intuitive and without spaces. This will make them easier to type using UNC (Universal Naming Convention) such as \\computername\sharename.
I am sure I am forgetting something but it just seemed to me that we were all kinda walking on eggshells around the whole Homegroup issue. Currently I am running three computers Windows 7 64bit, Windows 7 32bit, and XP pro 32bit, service pack 3 and have personally had no issues at all with homegroups, have joined, left, joined again, abandoned them, resorted back to them for testing all without any issues, but sometimes “old school” may be the best answer.

Last edited:
Back