Windows 8 New 8.1 laptop. Can't copy to it.

jhmac77

New 8.1 laptop. Whenever I try to map network a windows 7 drive in my laptop to windows 8.1 laptop I get the following error that the spelling may not be correct(but this is not true). Can't find "\\computer1\c" May be spelling?? I have checked the spelling finding no problems and I have opened all folders for sharing and security is set the same way reading and writing as when I network windows 7 drives to other windows 7 drives. I always use the correct password if requested. I have no problem between win 7 drives. What am I missing? I don't have the same problem going from 8.1 to 7 windows.
Under homegroup files seem to be recognized.
JIM

This was moved from windows 8 networking because of no answer.

Hi

I don't have a clue what's going on here.
I guess no one else does either since no one has commented.

But you can take a look at this video and see if there is anything in it that is different than what you are doing.

That's about all I can suggest.

Mike

PS. See if anything in this post is relevant....

The "Map as drive" is context-sensitive to what child folder you have selected in the parent folder. IOW, if you're looking at the folder that you want to map, the "Map as drive" feature doesn't work as expected.

You have to be in the parent folder of the folder that you want to map.

Then highlight the subfolder in question and select "Map as drive". You'd think that if you don't have any subfolder selected it would just default the folder that you're viewing when you select "Map as drive".

That'd be a lot more useful than just leaving the folder blank.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/having-issues-with-windows-8.195342/

Last edited:
First of all I don't understand the last entry. I don't talk or understand technical language. Let me explain in my language:

For many years including XP days, I have been coping and transferring files and folders from one computer disk on computer X to another disk on a different computer called computer Y.
I could copy in both directions but I had to set up each drive separately. I used map network drive icon (?Map as drive") found when I opened Computer icon. After setting in property the sharing and security settings a certain way I could copy back and forth. Each computer was given a name such as C-1, C2 and Computer1.

All I am saying is that in one direction of copying I can copy but in the other direction I get a possible spelling error. Of course there is no spelling error. I know that Windows 8.1 is somewhat different from Windows 7. Both use a name found under User folder and both use a password. The computer name is most obvious and is different from the name found under User folder.

So what seems to be the problem? Should be simple enough.
Jim

"The "Map as drive" is context-sensitive to what child folder you have selected in the parent folder. IOW, if you're looking at the folder that you want to map, the "Map as drive" feature doesn't work as expected." I don't understand IOW, map as drive, context-sensitive !

Last edited:
How odd, is the new computer write protected somehow?

Or perhaps the network drive isnt functional with windows 8?

Its hard to tell, do you have any other external hard drives?

Back