Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Laptop randomly waking up

Sleelan

I have recently (about 4 weeks ago) purchased an Asus R510J, a laptop with pre-installed Windows 8.1. It was running rather smoothly apart from some painful differences I notice coming from Windows 7. The one issue I started to notice however, was that when waking it up in the morning it would sometimes be drained from all battery. It would not happen every time, and I wouldn't pay much attention to it to begin with, but now I dug deeper into it. And boy, am I clueless.

First of all, I always put my laptop in sleep mode. Power button as well as closing lid is set to doing so, and I did not change it yet. When it actually sleeps, it behaves as you would expect it to. It, well, sleeps. No noise, no power drain, no heating, nothing. But as I said, it does not always stay asleep. Aside from excessive power drain at night (100%-2%, so critical shutdown took place I assume), I have noticed that it would turn on at random during the day. I have Steam installed on both my desktop and laptop, and when using the former I have noticed that randomly "in-house streaming" became available from my laptop. That meant that it was fully awake and had all programs running. Then I had it turn on while transporting it, resulting in massive overheating of my entire laptop bag. All in all, this thing will wake up when it feels like it, and I can't make it stop.

Now details. I'm not sure how relevant are my hardware specs, but tl;dr - i7-4710HQ, nVidia GTX 850M, 12gb RAM, 750GB HDD at 7.2kRPM. All of that is ran by Windows 8.1 of course. I have tried searching for the problem of course, but none of the usual solutions work. When ran in command line, "powercfg lastwake" claims that it was caused by "fixed feature; power button". Searching for waketimers yields no results. Checking in scheduled tasks shows that all the maintenance is set to not wake up my laptop. I have disabled my network card waking up on pattern match (I did leave magic packet, but I don't think that's the cause). All of that, to no effect.

I have found, at this point, what seems to cause the random wake-ups. I just have no idea what to make of it. When searching windows logs, I found this:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter
[ Guid] {CDC05E28-C449-49C6-B9D2-88CF761644DF}
EventID 1
Version 2
Level 4
Task 0
Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000
- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-10-14T01:47:03.835957900Z
EventRecordID 4048
- Correlation

[ ActivityID] {150BB679-817B-408B-9B9F-C67C7F3237D8}
- Execution

[ ProcessID] 1464
[ ThreadID] 10448

Sure enough, I managed to pinpoint ProcessID 1464 - it's svchost.exe. When running "tasklist /SVC", it claims to be responsible for services: "BFE, DPS, MpsSvc". First one and last one seem to be related to firewall, other is a mystery. It would apper that somehow, someway my firewall is causing random wakes, but I can't find how could it be doing that, or how to prevent that. And this is where I'm lost.

Last edited:
Back