Windows 7 New Dell computer....

That credit card part wasnt there when I replyed to it. Strange. LIke someone posted then came back and added that in. Looks like it would ber a waste of time if you ask me. That or a douche bag milking some company for ungodly amounts of money while people with skills are out of work. That sounds about right.

That's probably what it was. The member probably made a signature change, that's possibly why it didn't show the first time.

Thing about these kind of things is, those who responds really has no way of knowing where their info is going to. Probably somewhere in Nigeria, where they're out of the US's jurisdiction. All one needs is a name, SS#, DOB, license#, a phone helps, but the first four that I listed is enough to clean one out.

Times are tough, and crooks are taking the easier way to do business.

Cat

I went back to the post, it was edited at a later time. Most likely, the mods will catch it sometime & remove it.

These kind takes advantage of those who usually has little to begin with. Because one who does have money & good credit is probably intelligent enough to see through that BS. These type of people have no heart or morals.

Therefore, when they get caught, it doesn't bother me to see them thrown in prison.

Cat

Hi

Both of my Dell computers that I had before I switched are still up and running.
My niece is still using my Dell 8200, and my nephew is still using my Dell XPS.

I do have to say that my Dell XPS crashed the first time I booted it up and I spent 7 hours on the phone to get it to run.

I switched it to Windows 7 when the beta came out and got a legit disk from Microsoft for $39 when it went live.

My revenge was that when it asked me to type in a name for it, I named it HCS Titanic and it still carries that name today.
The HCS stands for Home Computer System.

After that I switched to Falcon NW and I'm not going back. LOL

I have all my software installed in Windows 8 now and am using it as my primary OS, in fact I haven't booted into Windows 7 in a couple of weeks.

Mike

Some of the older Dells were really good computers. My first two were Dells, a Latitude C640, followed by the Latitude D610. And these notebooks, while now their value is considerably less, cost well over $1,000 brand new.

The C640, I lucked up on, at a bankruptcy auction, for $500. It was less than a year old, had a carrying case & 2 batteries. Lasted me for 6 years until it slipped from my hand getting out of the car. Landed on the upper left corner, MB was cracked (& the You Tube oven trick didn't work).

The D610, was 3 years old at the time of purchase, & was fully loaded. It lasted less than 2 years, but I got every cent ($400) that I paid back through my SquareTrade warranty.

While they both did run a bit hot, especially the C640, I did get good use out of them. They also didn't have the bloatware of today's computers & were made of magnesium, not plastic. This probably contributed to their long lives.

Cat

The new Ultrabooks from the likes of ASUS, Acer & Samsung are pretty damn cool, from the glances I've given them. Thin, light, powerful, funky screens, SSDs, tough construction... pretty neat machines.

Drew

Mike, those Falcons do not look cheap.

No, no they are not, though they are really good. Lots of parts to choose from and the parts they do use are really good parts. Not sure about the software, but I can find aout about that latter.

Well I've had the Dell for a couple of weeks now and I've been using it heavily everyday, I haven't had one glitch yet. The Dell is working perfectly. I'm very glad I bought it.

"Mike, those Falcons do not look cheap."

They aren't cheap but they're not a bad as their reputation.
Because they make really extreme desktops that have 4 solid state drives 3 video cards and everything overclocked for up to $8000, that's what people think of.

But the Talon line of computer are built to the same standards of quality and testing.
You can get one that will run anything pretty much for around $1500.

Mine cost a little more because I have 2 1TB internal drives, 2 CD/DVD drives and a few other add ons.

Still not cheap but if you compare them to a Dell with similar components etc., there isn't really a big difference in price.

And every computer is tested for days before it ships. Comes with a REAL Widows DVD, all the driver disks for all the components.

It's tweaked for best performance and a comprehensive test report with base temperatures for all the components etc.

If I don't limit the FPS I can see frame rates in Wow as high a 450 fps.
Skyrim runs with everything (
Anti-Aliasing and shadows too!) set to max and runs at a steady 60 fps (what it's frame limited to).

Here's my performance index.

View attachment 19400

Since I bought mine 3 of my friends have too.

My friend Paul just got his and he's playing everything he has over because they all run so much better then they ever did before.
It's two years newer and even faster then mine.

Sorry to sound like I'm selling computers but I love this PC!

Mike

What is the deal with the Disk? I have a 5.9 as well. I have never seen any one with anything higher than 5.9. Microsoft is mocking me with the Disk of 5.9 LoL

No, no they are not, though they are really good. Lots of parts to choose from and the parts they do use are really good parts. Not sure about the software, but I can find aout about that latter.
Well, software is neither here nor there. That is the easy part.

That can make a big difference in the performance of a computer. If the drivers are way out of date, then it will affect it extreamly. Then all the crap that manufactuers install ontop of the OS. I can see if you want to add a disk burnning software; Roxio, CDBurnerXP, or something like that. Though the sonstant adding of 20 flash games, a special edition of Rocket Dock, wallpapers, antivirus software that will die in a few months. It is just a waste of space. Formatting is the second thing I do, right after downloading the dirvers and saving to a flash drive.

Mike, thanks for the details. I am not a gamer - not even hearts, LOL. For me an i7, a SSD (that I put in myself), plenty of RAM and an average graphics card suffice. The most demanding jobs I do are video encoding and conversion. And that needs CPU power. The RAM I need because I always have a couple of virtual machines running too (Win8 and Ubuntu). That works well with my 8GBs.

FYI:

The fact that it will happen soon, naturally, not w/standing... Defrag should be run as part of & as the last step of a 'new build'.

Drew

Hi

Standard Hard Drives always show the same performance level, they are the bottle neck in the system.
You can get a faster hard drive but they are usually smaller more expensive and run at 10,000 rpm instead of 7200.

Amazon.com: Western Digital Velociraptor 600 GB SATA III 10000 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - WD6000HLHX: Electronics

That's where SSDs come in.
The problem is that they cost almost as much as your computer though the price is coming down slowly.

Amazon.com: Intel 320 Series 600 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive: Electronics

On a $8000 Falcon Mach 5 about $5000 is solid state hard drives.

I'm a Gamer but that's not the real reason for the way my computer is set up.
I do 3D graphics stuff, and the programs that generate 3D video really soak up the resources and hard drive space. A 3 minute video can take 80 gigabytes of disk space in HD.

Mike

What is the deal with the Disk? I have a 5.9 as well. I have never seen any one with anything higher than 5.9. Microsoft is mocking me with the Disk of 5.9 LoL
It's the same with me. On my desktop, I have a WD Caviar Black & 2 Samsung HD103SJ's, all of which runs at 7200 rpm & has a 32MB cache. My score is 5.9.

On my MSI notebook, which is far more powerful, except for it's HDD runs at 5400 rpm, 8MB cache, still MS gave it a 5.8. So unless one has a worn out HDD, that number should be close to the same for most of us. To get over a 5.9, one either needs one of those 10,000 rpm ones, or a SSD.

That scoring system is screwed up. It also gave me a score (of 4.6) based on my built in graphics, rather than the 1GB dedicated card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M). Had the score been based upon the dedicated card, it should have been at least 7.0.

Windows 8's scoring system is worse than 7's, it's rated from 1.0 to 9.9.

Cat

I can't even socre my 8 install. It has to have all the dirvers installed, and my Radeon HD 19something, that runs and has drivers for Vista and 7, doesn't have drivers for 8. What crock of spit. I hate AMD/ATI.

Back