Windows 7 New Dell computer....

djwayne, I think that you are taking this as I am atacking your PC personaly. Like singeling out your system and saying that it needs this or it needs that. That is not the case. If you look at my systems specs, they are listed in my profile, I can tell you about something like 10 or 20 things that need to be done on my system. I don't want you to think that I am just picking on you spacificly. Just wanted to make that clear. When I look at any system I can almost always see something that could be done to it or that could be changed or could have been done better. Very seldomly do I ever see a system that I can make changes to to make it better. Like I was saying even my systems are far from perfect.

Why do you feel the urge to "fix" my computer when it is not broken ?? I'm not letting you or anybody like you near my computer.

I'm not fixing your computer, it is not personal to your computer. I do that to all computers that I see. That is what I was saying that it is not personaly to yours. In all reality you can fill it full of sand to piss on it. It will make no difference to me. Though the point is still valid, it is far from perfect and those where the points that I saw right off hand that could be improved apon. If it runs great, but never think that there is nothing that can be improved on it.

I'm not fixing your computer, it is not personal to your computer. I do that to all computers that I see. That is what I was saying that it is not personaly to yours. In all reality you can fill it full of sand to piss on it. It will make no difference to me. Though the point is still valid, it is far from perfect and those where the points that I saw right off hand that could be improved apon. If it runs great, but never think that there is nothing that can be improved on it.

I don't want my computer "improved". I don't want anything about it changed. It's running perfectly now I don't want to jinx it by messing around with it. The only thing I'm going to do with this computer is vacuum it out once in a while.

The only thing I'm going to do with this computer is vacuum it out once in a while.
That is not such a good idea. A soft brush is better and to get into the inaccesible places use compressed air. Little bottles of compressed air can be purchased in the building markets like Home Depot, etc.

Boy nothing I do is good enough for you guys. I vacuum it out to get the dust bunnies OUT of the computer not just blown from one section to another. Yes compressed air can help to get into small corners but vacuuming removes the debri.

Boy nothing I do is good enough for you guys. I vacuum it out to get the dust bunnies OUT of the computer not just blown from one section to another. Yes compressed air can help to get into small corners but vacuuming removes the debri.
Well if any, use a small 12 Volt vacuum that does not pull your bits out. A house vacuum is too strong.

I would have to agree with whs, ssing a can of compressed air is safer for the motherboard and all of the computer as a whole. It is possable to run it throught the dishwasher, though it would reaquire taking it apart, still using compessed air and letting it sit for a few days LMAO I am not up on the spacifics of it, cause I have never done it, I just know it can be done. Yea though if you do it right it will get all the nasty crap out of your case and be safer for the components. Also it can get places that vacumes can't reach. I'm starting to get the feeling that you are one of those people that think they know EVERYTHING there is to know about computers. Also that you have a hard time takeing constructive criticism.

Ok, calm down, kids...let's all play nicely together.

1. Yes, you blow w/ a can of Dust Off
2. The dust has to go someplace... Personally, if I can, I'll do it outside. IF, there are actual, big, 'dust bunnies', that don't blow out, grab a vacuum… better than turning the machine upside down & shaking it (just kidding).
3. If inside... blow whilst holding the vacuum hose in the machine not, against or even close to anything.... it just grabs/sucks the blown dust out of the air... instead of it going into the client's home or office.
4. If one is so bad that there is a layer of crud sitting on the heat sink/cooling fins, under the CPU fan... take it out, remove from the fan & wipe the layer of crud off w/ a toothbrush. Do this cause IF one blows that dirt, it will only blow it into the fins not, remove said dirt.

So, depending on the situation, it can be a combo of blowing and sucking. (but, certainly not in any sense of sucking components out but, rather just dust out of the air.

Cheers,
Drew

:die: Wooooo, Time out, foul on the play. :die:

I'm not sure that BLOWING with a can of duster is such a good idea. My cousin did that one time and got arested. LMAO

So, depending on the situation, it can be a combo of blowing and sucking. (but, certainly not in any sense of sucking components out but, rather just dust out of the air.
Drew

My good sir, this is a family website...well maybe not family, but still, what you do with your comptuer in the confort of your freinds basement is your business :rofl:

Just giveing you a hard time there Drew. Still friends? :nerdie:

That's enough, time to change the subject... I've decided to upgrade the Dell's memory to the maximum of 8 gigs. I ordered the new memory sticks from Dell directly and it won't void the warranty. My sound sample programs love memory so I thought, what the heck, why not ??

That's enough, time to change the subject... I've decided to upgrade the Dell's memory to the maximum of 8 gigs. I ordered the new memory sticks from Dell directly and it won't void the warranty. My sound sample programs love memory so I thought, what the heck, why not ??
That's always the best thing to do from the jump, fill your RAM slots to the max. It's the best, and at the current time, one of the least costly upgrades that one can do.

My MSI notebook came with 6GB RAM, although I never came close to using that much, Newegg had a 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 (10666) GSKILL kit for $29.99 around last Thanksgiving.

Probably the best $29.99 hardware purchase I've ever made.

And don't get so fired up over good advice. Naiya knows what she's talking about, I doubt that she'd steer anyone in the wrong direction. She's also been a contributing member of this site. As time goes by, you'll see imperfections with that new Dell computer, just as with your old one. I have a total of 4, & can see things in all that can be improved.

But my funds are limited, so I do the best with what I have. I still would have loved, as many other probably would, to take that other one off your hands while still intact. As long as it was running, it had value to it.

Cat

The old computer wasn't running well, it was locking up and freezing after a couple of minutes being turned on. It world never accept any more that 1 gig of memory. Even though the board was an ASUS, it was an older model and a dog. It was designed to work with Vista and never worked properly with W7.

I didn't know Naiya was a woman. I'll have to be nicer to her. :)

I decided to get the 8 gig memory to help my music programs run smoothly, they already are, but extra memory should make them even better once I really start putting them to the test. Dell only charged me $34 each for the two stick, which wasn't too bad. If nothing else I'll have bragging rights to 8 gigs of memory !!

The problem with 8 gigs of memory is that most of my music programs are 32 bit applications and would only use 4 gigs anyhow. So I'm not sure if upgrading to 8 gigs is going to make much difference. In the future though, I may be upgrading to 64 bit applications as they become available.

Of course I'll see imperfections as time goes on and I may also do some more upgrades, like a better video card for dual monitors, I have two 64 gig SSD's that I'll be adding...I may need to upgrade the power supply....but I don't want to do these things while it's running well and still under warranty.

For the SSDs you do not need a better PSU, but for a better graphics card that may be required.

The RAM upgrade will probably buy you nothing. But it does not hurt to have some backup Dimms. I would not have bought them from Dell. Their prices are too high. But the warrenty argument I understand - although I sometimes wonder what that is worth. My XPS 8300 came with a 2 year warrenty. Fortunately I did not need it yet - knock on wood.

Well the ram upgrade will come in handy as I upgrade my music programs to 64 bit, which I may do over the coming months. So it's not a waste. they may have cost a little more, but they are official Dell components and recommended for my specific computer by Dell, which is a big selling point for me. I don't want to void my warranty with a cheaper brand, which may not give me as good of performance as the Dell sticks would. I'm having excellent experience with Dell components now, and don't want any headaches associated with mis-matched memory. It's just not worth it to save a couple of bucks.

The SSD's are a major upgrade to my music programs as sound samples are instantly accessible with them. It's almost like having the sound samples on 64 gig memory sticks, so the SSD's are a definite planned upgrade.

The dual monitor and upgraded video card are something for the distant future as I have no room for a second monitor at this time. It'd be nice to have one, but I am totally cramped for space as it is.

Thanks for the info, but my SSD's are dedicated to be used for my sound sample programs, not an OS. The sound sample programs are huge and take up most of the SSD's. On my new computer I only have two available SATA ports, so the two SSD's I have now will be all that I will be able to use unless I give up my SATA hard drive, which I don't want to do. My OS is running really fast and well on the hard drive, so there's no reason to change that. The sound programs are what need the help of the SSD's. I'm thinking the new 8 gigs of memory will also help the OS.

All I have to do now is re-install the SSD's then re-install my sound sample programs to the SSD's, install the 8 gigs of ram, and I'll have a smokin' little computer.

Because I only have the two available SATA ports, my back up hard drive will remain disconnected until I need it, while the SATA ports are being used by the SSD's. This configuration should work out well for me.

This is certainly an unusual setup. I am not familiar with sound sample programs and I wonder whether the SSDs will really make a difference. But if you say so, I take your word for it.

Usually one would install the OS on the SSD to boost performance - and it makes a BIG difference. All the people I know that have their OS on the SSD will never go back to a HDD setup.

And you are right. Dell does not give you many sata ports - 4 on my XPS 8300 and the same on my Inspiron 530. But I guess they have to make cuts somewhere to arrive at their cheap prices.

Back