Windows 7 New GUI Theories:

Cam493

So according to many sources, one of the two things left out of the Windows 7 RC/RTM is a new Graphical User Interface. With the exception of the Log-On screen, changed menus, the taskbar, and a slightly altered default color scheme, Windows 7 is pretty much a refined version of Vista.

Here's what might be included in the rumored new GUI:

I. Glass/Semi-Transparency Effects for all Windows/Apps:
One of the biggest inclusions in Aero is the fact that the taskbar, and some pop-up menus are semi-transparent, which looks great. What could possibly be added is a larger quantity of semi-transparent windows and apps. Microsoft Word 2010 might have a glass effect for its Ribbon interface, as well as MS Paint. Things such as right-click menus might also have semi-transparent effects.

II. Changed and Dynamic Icons:
This is a given. From build 7000 of W7 upwards, we've been seeing less icons seen in Vista/XP, and more original icons. By the official RC/RTM, I predict that many common icons will change. The beige folder icons will be replaced with the transparent blue ones we've been seeing. There also might be a prevalence of animated icons. For example. whenever you click the Internet Explorer icon, the yellow ribbon around the E might swirl. Dynamic icons might also be included, in which they will change based on what's contained inside the app, or folder (Similar to what we've seen in VIsta/W7 Beta).

III: Slimmer Appearance:
This is also a given. I predict that the GUI will be slightly smaller and slimmer. The taskbar might be a few pixels shorter than what it is now, and the start menu will be significantly changed from Vista's/W7 Beta's. For example, the start menu might consist of only the right panel, including your User file, Pictures/Videos/Games/Documents, etc. Programs will be split in a "Recent Progams" and "All Programs" button listed under the "Help and Support" button. To save space, there might be more things used in the space next to the Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons on the top right of a window.

IV: More Mouse Gestures and Cursor Features:
I can totally see more mouse gestures, similar to Aero snap/shake. Perhaps clicking all three mouse buttons at once could make something happen. Also, I see a modified Aero cursor, which will have animations next to it similar to loading, but pertaining to the app. If you're in IE or FireFox, and the connection dies, perhaps a little Red X through WiFi bars will appear next to the icon.

Post your theories and predictions here!

I don't think there is much change @ this stage of development

And people pointing out that 7 is
a refined version of Vista, will it's .... 7 is minor update, 8 will be major.

• I would like to see more Glass/Semi-Transparency Effects
  • I wish they make icons SVG file, Dynamic Icons is plus
  • I don't like the idea of Slimmer Appearance (I have big hi-res display with lot of waste space so i love big icons)

So according to many sources, one of the two things left out of the Windows 7 RC/RTM is a new Graphical User Interface. With the exception of the Log-On screen, changed menus, the taskbar, and a slightly altered default color scheme, Windows 7 is pretty much a refined version of Vista.

Here's what might be included in the rumored new GUI:

I. Glass/Semi-Transparency Effects for all Windows/Apps:
One of the biggest inclusions in Aero is the fact that the taskbar, and some pop-up menus are semi-transparent, which looks great. What could possibly be added is a larger quantity of semi-transparent windows and apps. Microsoft Word 2010 might have a glass effect for its Ribbon interface, as well as MS Paint. Things such as right-click menus might also have semi-transparent effects.

II. Changed and Dynamic Icons:
This is a given. From build 7000 of W7 upwards, we've been seeing less icons seen in Vista/XP, and more original icons. By the official RC/RTM, I predict that many common icons will change. The beige folder icons will be replaced with the transparent blue ones we've been seeing. There also might be a prevalence of animated icons. For example. whenever you click the Internet Explorer icon, the yellow ribbon around the E might swirl. Dynamic icons might also be included, in which they will change based on what's contained inside the app, or folder (Similar to what we've seen in VIsta/W7 Beta).

III: Slimmer Appearance:
This is also a given. I predict that the GUI will be slightly smaller and slimmer. The taskbar might be a few pixels shorter than what it is now, and the start menu will be significantly changed from Vista's/W7 Beta's. For example, the start menu might consist of only the right panel, including your User file, Pictures/Videos/Games/Documents, etc. Programs will be split in a \"Recent Progams\" and \"All Programs\" button listed under the \"Help and Support\" button. To save space, there might be more things used in the space next to the Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons on the top right of a window.

IV: More Mouse Gestures and Cursor Features:
I can totally see more mouse gestures, similar to Aero snap/shake. Perhaps clicking all three mouse buttons at once could make something happen. Also, I see a modified Aero cursor, which will have animations next to it similar to loading, but pertaining to the app. If you're in IE or FireFox, and the connection dies, perhaps a little Red X through WiFi bars will appear next to the icon.

Post your theories and predictions here!

I can almost guarantee (with cash) that there will be NO major remake of the GUI like that in the RTM/RC. There may be small little tweaks here and there (different icons and what not). But nothing major. RC is the "as finished, just fix bug's" release. Its already leaked, and i can tell you, there is NO major overhaul. (Google for Windows 7 7100 screens).

A few months before you RTM'd, you're NOT going to make the same mistake that they did with Vista and overhaul something as major as the GUI! This is what Microsoft already did, this killed Vista at release for them (allot of bugs, Vista is actually a great OS, but at initial RTM is sucked because of drivers and other various bugs). Not a good move to do again. MS have learnt there lesson :)

EDIT:
Screens: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...nshots-of-build-windows-7-build-7100-leak.ars

Annnd The start orb changed in 7048 to what it is now. (Beta is 7000, RC is 7100, there has been MANY leaks inbetween, im currently running 7068 for example)

The only missing feature which IMO SHOULD be built into the GUI is "Multiple Desktops" which worked fine as a "Powertoy" in windows XP.

There is a utility called Desktops from the SYSINTERNALS suite but IMO this really should be part of the GUI -- especially now with systems having much more RAM, bigger disks and faster CPU's --allowing LOTS more concurrent running applications.

Desktop gets vey crowded when you've only got a single desktop. Linux has had multi-desktops FOR AGES and AGES.

Cheers
jimbo

Back
Top Bottom