Windows 7 New keyboard gives a BSOD on pressing a key

Emin

I recently bought a new USB keyboard (GK-004 Silvio) and a new USB Mouse (Dragon War Thor), and I seem to be experiencing BSODs with my new keyboard. (had been using PS/2 keyboard and mouse before with no problems till date). I then updated all of my drivers using Driver Booster, and the problem stopped, until I restarted for the next time. Now as soon as I press a key after logging in, it gives me a BSOD right away and it doesn't let me see the message (as it did for the very first time, and it also restarts too just right after the BSOD). I got lucky one time and saw that the message was:
"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" due to 'kbdclass.sys'

1. I've run for a virus scan and I couldn't find any threats.
2. I've cross checked that all my drivers are up to date. There were no specific keyboard drivers/softwares included with my keyboard nor could I find any online.
3. I've been self-logging myself with the help of Spyrix for a few days due to personal reasons. The BSOD occurs irrespective of Spyrix logging/running and as I mentioned, it worked perfectly fine for a whole day until I restarted during which Spyrix was working. (It doesn't crash with my old PS/2 keyboard)
4. I've run TDSSKiller and found no threats.
5. My USBs currently include: Speakers, XBox 360 Controller, New USB Mouse (which seems to be working without any problem)...I don't suppose any of those could cause any problems.
6. I've done a sfc /scannow, it said that it found some corrupt files and was unable to repair them. Maybe I should do it in safemood or with a W7 DVD inserted? After the restart, the issue wasn't resolved.
7. The keyboard works fine in Safe Mood.
8. There are currently no dumps in my minidump folder.

Below is a link to dm_log_collector log..hope it helps. Thanks. :)
db.tt/pWUvFyl9

Hi Emin,
I had a look at the link you supplied but unfortunately the zip file didn't contain any dump files. Please follow the instructions set out below in case your machine isn't set up to produce them. Oh and do make sure your Page file is at least 200mb otherwise they won't get created.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs.

You'll need to bsod again before a dump file will be created. Once you have some post them up and we'll read them for you.

Some of these driver updating software tools are garbage. You need to re-verify your drivers. The issue is likely caused by memory corruption caused by a bad driver. There are methods to solve your problem using the Driver Verifier option in Windows as well as analysis of the BSOD Mini Dumps. I see @kemical has posted before I replied, so please try to follow his advice. If you have system restore, try to go back before you installed your mouse/keyboard software, and revert the changes you made with "Driver Booster". This may, at least, allow you to run your system with Microsoft compatibility drivers until it can be determined what is causing your problem. The idea here is that if you make incremental changes and not major ones you may be able to determine what is causing it. Other people have had this issue and it looks like some kind of corruption going on with the mouse/keyboard driver from the manufacturer.

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" due to 'kbdclass.sys'
kbdclass.sys relates to a Windows keyboard driver.

Whilst your sorting your dump files try this:

Find command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

@kemical, I've set it to manage paging for all drivers automatically. I'll try to get a BSOD and post a dump soon.

@Mike, there was the same issue before driver updation, and it still persists after updating it, so I don't think it plays any role in it. Besides, I had no specific drivers for my keyboard as I mentioned before so most probably, something else is causing it to crash.

@kemical again, I mentioned in my 6th point that it said that there were some corrupt files but it couldn't fix that. The complete messsage was:
"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Here's the link meanwhile:
https://db.tt/9Nrn0Lhg

Code:
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002f8 [SR] Verify complete
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002f9 [SR] Repairing 1 components
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002fa [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002fb Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-m..mdac-sql-netlibs-np_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_eeb24528dbcb8823\dbnmpntw.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"dbnmpntw.dll" :
  Found: {l:32 b:46E1OsY6o+Jk87qyPvpZOpwK6TLkJ7J0aXNZmfMGgRo=} Expected: {l:32 b:x+HpB9lelKw+SHT/5jOX6OXYTUtLOkRL03wqjfylO0Y=}
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002fc [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"dbnmpntw.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-(MDAC)-SQL-NetLibs-NP, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002fd Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-m..mdac-sql-netlibs-np_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_eeb24528dbcb8823\dbnmpntw.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"dbnmpntw.dll" :
  Found: {l:32 b:46E1OsY6o+Jk87qyPvpZOpwK6TLkJ7J0aXNZmfMGgRo=} Expected: {l:32 b:x+HpB9lelKw+SHT/5jOX6OXYTUtLOkRL03wqjfylO0Y=}
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002fe [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"dbnmpntw.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-(MDAC)-SQL-NetLibs-NP, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    000002ff [SR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.WindowsFoundationDelivery"
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    00000300 Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbnmpntw.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"dbnmpntw.dll" :
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    00000301 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-m..mdac-sql-netlibs-np_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_eeb24528dbcb8823\dbnmpntw.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"dbnmpntw.dll" :
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    00000302 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:48{24},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:24{12}]"dbnmpntw.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted
2015-05-16 17:54:57, Info                  CSI    00000303 Repair results created:
Hi,
yeah I completely missed the 6th and 7th points embarrassingly but it appears the main file or dll which is corrupted is: dbnmpntw.dll
This quite an important file and it might be worth either trying to repair that one file or try either a repair or reset with win 7.

Here's the dump. I hope it helps.
https://db.tt/uzH5ZZ9j

As for a reset, I'm trying to avoid formatting over a keyboard issue. :/
Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't sfc /scannow work as a repairing tool too?
Side note: The file properties show that it's "Named Pipes Net DLL for SQL Clients"...I wonder how that can interfere with a USB keyboard keypress call.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {0, 2, 1, fffff88006ce2954}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for EvoKbFilter.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for EvoKbFilter.sys
Probably caused by : kbdclass.sys ( kbdclass!memcpy+64 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Code:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Hi,
scannow does repair corrupt files that's true but only if it's able.

If you notice the kernel version above this tells me your running without a critical service pack installed and could be related to your issue. Please install Windows service pack 1. You can download the 'exe' file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5842
If Windows gives you trouble installing the service pack then run the windows readiness tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3132

Once installed you need to run Windows update again to make sure your fully updated.

The above dump shows in the Stack text ( the last subroutines ) that the driver mentioned above 'EvoKbFilter.sys' is probably at fault and is causing the windows driver to crash. It belongs to a program called 'Evolve'?
https://www.evolvehq.com/welcome
I also notice it's a few years old too: EvoKbFilter.sys Tue Aug 30 19:32:13 2011 Please update or remove.

You also have a program running well known for causing blue screens in Windows 7. Daemon tools:
dtsoftbus01.sys Thu Jun 20 08:22:51 2013: Daemon Tools driver Possible BSOD issues in Win7. If the bsod persists consider removing to test.

Hi, sorry for the delay. I haven't downloaded the service pack. The site says "Do not click download if you are updating just one computer: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature."

My windows should be up to date as I have no more updates in my update center. I uninstalled the Evolve Client and Daemon Tools, but the problem persists. Should I give the download a try? (Also, is it the 1.9GB file or all of them?)

Here's the new dump anyways, if it helps:
https://db.tt/riKurOpD

Edit: Side-note: If I leave my old PS/2 keyboard connected and then connect the new USB one, the keyboard(s) work fine without any crash. What does this tell us?

Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck D1, {0, 2, 1, fffff88004379954}

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for EvoKbFilter.sys

Hi,
same again I'm afraid. You'll need to update that Service pack just so we know it isn't the issue.
Go to the link above for SP1 and click download:
sp1a.jpg
You'll then see a page with different types of files to download. You want the SP1 in 'exe' as this will be the easiest way for you to install it. Click either 32 or 64bit and (I think you need x64) click next to get the download.:
sp1b.jpg
Don't forget that if it refuses to install run the windows readiness tool linked in my post above.

Okay, I installed the service pack. I couldn't get it to download even after installing the rediness tool, so I got it off here:
http://uk1-dl.techpowerup.com/Operating_System/windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
I believe it's the same update.

Anyways, still the same error. I wonder what kind of software/driver I have which is conflicting...the driver verifier is a pain to go through when it starts BSODing on your theme drivers....anyways, here's the latest dump, if it helps:
https://db.tt/J3LL3mvW

Edit: It seems that Evolve client isn't removed properly, which might still be the conflicting issue. Going to install the latest update, then remove it using Revo. Will post ASAP.

Code:

BugCheck D1, {0, 2, 1, fffff880047ca954}

Hey,
yup I can still see the Evolve drivers in the the driver list as well as the Call stack (which probably means it's the culprit). See how you get on with Revo..

Seems like something isn't right....I reinstalled Evolve (just so no entries go missing) and then uninstalled it with Revo. I did this twice, but it seems like even after the software was uninstalled, the drivers/services remain. I can see it in my task manager that those drivers are running and the start type is set to 'Demand Start' (There's three, one for keyboard, one for mouse and one a virtual adapter)

When I tried to disable the keyboard and mouse services/drivers and restarted, my keyboard and mouse became unresponsive. I somehow reverted it back using last known configuration or something. How can I proceed to remove these drivers and make it like..default?

Last edited:
Yes, I do, although I never really used Evolve, had just installed it to try it out.
I checked out the link you gave, it only contains uninstallation instructions. I had no problems uninstalling it but the drivers persist.
Here's how it looks like in my task manager:
987e67bed4.jpg

Is there any way to remove those drivers and get the default ones back?

I got my AV, Sticky Notes, Skype with it's addon, a download manager, f.lux (for adjusting screen brightness), and puush (instant image uploading service), none of which I think can be related to a keyboard issue. No sign of Evolve there.

I'm trying to think of a way without it ending up borking your machine in the process. What about opening up Device manager find keyboard, right click on it, properties and then roll back the driver. If it works do the same for the mouse too.

That might do the trick. I have no problems with my mouse though. Give me a minute.

Edit: There's no roll back option. There's an uninstall option though, should I try it?
Once again, my old keyboard was PS/2 and this one is a USB. Also, when I connect the USB keyboard after logging on (like I just did now to check the device manager), it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom