Windows 10 New Nvidia Driver - 352.84

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Anybody tried this yet. I am installing now and will post back with any results.

I said I would report back. It appears the video driver stopped responding messages have stopped. The last one I got was 10:00 a.m.

I ran a performance check on both of my systems using 3D Mark. With the two GTX 680s on single 1920x1080 monitor, I was getting about 11605 (15593, 10153, 4297) in Firestrike in Windows 10 and 8.1.

GTX 980 (2) system is 19513 (27367, 14134, 7559)

I am having a hard time trying to understand why my game, Borderlands 2, runs smoothly in Windows 8.1 but seems choppy in Windows 10. Perhaps it relates to some debugger or some other Preview build utility causing the lack of performance, but at least I am not seeing all the video error messages. The Nvidia drivers are different for Windows 8.1, so maybe it is just a quirk of the latest Windows 10 driver.

This is just a preliminary test and more time running the new driver may show something up.

I installed it this morning. SLI still doesn't work. It still put's your monitor to sleep and you have to hold the pc's power button down after you turn your pc back on and open Nvidia Control Panel it show's the check mark next to sli being enable. If you scroll down further it say's there's a problem with sli.
I then ran 3DMark Advanced and sure enough sli showed as being disabled. Therefore on my pc, Windows 8.1 with sli working, still kick's 10 with sli not working's butt by atleast 3,000 points.

P.S. I went to Nvidia's site this morning, after GeForce Experience asked me if I wanted to download the driver. Nvidia's site, with beta selected, didn't list the new driver. It listed the old one from April 29th. I then let GeForce Experience download and install the new driver listed above.

I have never had a problem with SLI with either my 980s or 680s. I have seen a message about problems with SLI, but I believe using the "Activate All Displays" and then going to the Maximize 3D and finally the Surround options would get around that.

I don't remember your configuration, but do you have a system with Discreet and onboard Video? One of my systems is like that and I have the Bios set to use PCIe as the primary video source.

But, of course, the actual video card can make quite a bit of difference as far as what may work and what may not.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo 2501 uefi
AMD FX-8350 cpu
16GBs. G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2400 (downclocked to 2133)
Corsair H-100 heatsink
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Windows 10 x64)
Intel 530 Series 480GB (Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64)
Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB (Data)
Hauppage Win-TV HVR-1850 tv tuner ( retiring next month. Putting in Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe)
Corsair HX-850 psu
2 MSI N760 TF 2GD%OC
Corsair Carbide 500R White case
View Sonic VX-2250wmLED monitor
Logitech 5.1 speakers
Windows 10 TP Build 10074 (Fast Lane)

Last edited:
You are down clocking your memory to 2133? The specs show the fastest is 1866 and that may be O.C., I don't know.

It might not make a difference, but setting everything to specs. may help... I don't have the experience to know for sure.

Your AMD motherboard may be part of the problem since Microsoft seems to be concentrating on the Intel Graphics. If I do not have SLI enabled, the benchmark is run using one of my GTX 680s and the onboard Intel 4600 GPU. The results of that benchmark are terrible. I have noticed some DX 12 demonstrations seem to show the Intel graphics being involved in combination with a Discreet GPU.

My mobo supports DDR3 2400. However, the ram in Asus's supported list are mostly discontinued. I don't see anything AMD being a issue. My reason for that, is the Xbox One is all AMD and it's getting Windows 10, too. Lower end AMD cpu than my FX-8350 and a low-end HD7000 series video card(I think HD72** series).
Now, the only part I'm upgrading is my tv tuner.
Upgrading to GeForce GTX 960's makes no sense to me, as my 760's benchmark scores are better than the 960's are.
Back to my ram. My setting's are per G-Skill's recommendation. Those settings are perfect in 8.1 & 10.
The 2 newer AMD FX cpu's since mt FX-8350, aren't worth getting. THE tpu on both are higher than any AMD based mobo, actually support's.
It's more than likely, that nobody really has any Windows 10 drivers out yet.
Nvidia has beta drivers and Realtek just added 10 to the HD Audio in it's update last week. Nothing else, other than generic Microsoft driver's. At least for my pc.
I may get a Intel based mobo and Intel cpu. However, it will be 2016 before it happen's. I can't afford either before then.
I've got other more important things for my limited money to go to.
Permanently disabled due to type 1 diabetes and complication's from it. $8**.** a month doesn't go far at all.

Well, I guess I must have looked at the wrong reference for your motherboard. Some will have an O.C. behind some speeds which mean they are overclocked.

During the preview, looking at specs. regarding performance of certain devices may not be relevant. The fact you are running what you are, means Microsoft sees the problems involved and will hopefully correct those problems.

I have been thinking for a while that Microsoft may have a conflict of interest. They sell an OS and they now sell a computer that OS is used on. Some might see that as a conflict of interest. Hopefully not, but Microsoft has said for years the PC is dead. One might surmise Microsoft would be very willing to sell you an xBox to replace the Desktop and have you use a Surface for everything else. Am I being paranoid, I think not.

Here's my take on it. A: You're most likely right. B: The real reason why Windows 10 is free for 7/8/8.1 users for the 1st year since they release it is, that in 2016 Windows or what they call the next o.s. will be subscription based, just like everything else they now sell. Azure may very well be replacing Windows.
Personally, I've slowly been ditching their subscription based crap. First, I ditched Office 365 Personal/Home. As of June 2nd when my Xbox 360's Xbox Live Gold subscription expires, it will be ditched.C: If they don't add a non-subscription based way to utilize tc tuners/cable card tv tuners in 10 and beyond. I'll be done with everything Microsoft.
Xbox is unnecessary now, as the only game I played on it, is now available for pc's through Steam. Steam is slowly getting games onto Linux.
As far as using Xbox Live on my Xbox to watch WWE Network, I can do that on my pc or through a higher end blu-ray player hooked to my tv.
It's much cheaper for me to spend $150-160 for that blu-ray player for my hdtv, than it is to spend $300+ on a XXbox One and up to $100. yearly for Xbox Live Gold.
PS. I tried a Surface Pro 3, as one of my doctor's has one and let me try it.
I'm really not interested in them or tablets, though.
As far as the Surface Pro's, they're too high priced for most people. You can get a kick-ass laptop for the same price and a lot of them have touch-screens now.
PS. I've been a member of the forum longer than 2013. It's more like 2007-2009 since Windows/Vista/7 Forums were around..

Apologies for gatecrashing but just a quick comment.
I may get a Intel based mobo and Intel cpu.
I did this after many years of running an overclocked FX 8150 and the difference is like night and day. If your gonna wait until 2016 though you may want to consider waiting on AMD's Zen CPU's.

The AMD one depends on numerous things for me. First off are they going to have a newer chipset than my 990FX mobo. has ? Are they going to have PCIe 3.0 slots on the mobo ? Are the cpu's going to be worth using again, like the Athlon 64's were ? If AMD doesn't do any of those, I don't see them surviving as a company.
They can't really compete with Nvidia alone. They need worthwhile cpu's to use or they're history.
That one is actually bad for everyone, as if AMD goes away, both Intel & Nvidia will rip us all off on all products.
Only tome will tell.
The current cpu upgrades for me, make no sense at all. The FX-8370 is the same as my FX8350 4.0GHz/4.3GHz Turbo Core 125 TDP. The 2 FX-9*** cpu's are slightly faster than mine, but the TDP is 220 on them. No current AMD based mobo really support's them without issues.
It's kind of the same with Windows 10's DirectX 12. Yes, video cards from the last 2 years will support some of DirectX 12's features, but they won't support all of them.
If we really want to use all of DirectX 12's features in Windows 10, we'll have to wait until some-time this summer/fall when AMD & Nvidia release a new series of video card's.
Either way though, for this year, as far as upgrades go, other than the Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe that I'm getting next month. The only other upgrade I want to do is a newer, better and bigger monitor. Either a IPS one or if I can find one I can afford, a newer 3D capable one. Either way, I want a 24" one. My current one is 21.5", non-IPS and only 60hz.

The current cpu upgrades for me, make no sense at all. The FX-8370 is the same as my FX8350 4.0GHz/4.3GHz Turbo Core 125 TDP. The 2 FX-9*** cpu's are slightly faster than mine, but the TDP is 220 on them. No current AMD based mobo really support's them without issues.
That's why I bought an i7 4790K and boy I love the difference in terms of power. Everyday stuff didn't seem too different at first but the low end grunt soon became obvious and of course I still have 8 cores even if 4 of them are in software. Like you i looked at the 8370 and FX-9 series but with already using a FX 8150 overclocked to 4.5GHz the upgrade to another AMD cpu would be a waste so in the end the choice was easy.

Oh and yes we still need AMD otherwise prices would simply sky rocket and anyway more choice is always good.

Hi

I installed the new driver, it didn't fix the problem with running 3D Stereo and Anti-aliasing at the same time, it still makes the screen go black.

I don't see any other difference either.

Mike

Yeah, I don't see the next AMD desktop cpu's going anywhere. AMD's more interested in mobile cpu's and extreme low-end part's for everything else. If they don't update their chipsets to 1*** series, add PCIe 3.0 support, USB 3.1 support, DDR4 ram support and support for the newer m-2 or whatever it's called that's on the newer ssd's, they'll be dead. They also need to make sure the new cpu's aren't junk (buggy0, like the early FX series released a few years ago.
I kind of don't see all that happening. Maybe a few of them will happen, but not all of them.

kemical: I'll wait to here how they perform. Trying to hold off as long as possible for that upgrade. When I do it, I'll basically be upgrading everything, except my ssd's, hdd, dvd-rw & blu-ray-re. It will basically take me at least six months, once I start getting the part's for that upgrade.

I thought I would post a picture of Event Viewer showing the Video Driver error occurrences. As you can see, they have not happened since installing the new driver.

The Meta Data errors seem to have started around 5/5 and seem to be related to Windows Update, possibly changes being made in that process such as servers.

Error Listing.JPG

Back
Top Bottom