Windows Vista "No Audio Output Device Installed"

irksomeduck

I was given an old PC a few days ago. Everything runs fine on it apart from the sound. When I hover over or click the volume button, it says "No Audio Output Device Installed". The PC is running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. The guy who gave it to me wiped it completely before giving it to me, so there was a little setting up to do (updates and such) and finding drivers for the WiFi card. I have done everything required up to this point, and I am completely defeated. I have tried several things, including:

-Uninstalling the driver and restarting the PC
-Manually finding drivers
-Let windows search the internet for the right drivers (all was up to date)
-Deactivating and reactivating the device

None of them have worked. I have looked on the internet for different solutions, but these seem to be the only ones anyone seems to offer, and it also appears that a lot of people have the same problem as me.

In device manager, under Sound, video and game controllers, the only thing listed is High Definition Audio Device. All of the drivers are up to date for it, and everything seems to be in working order.

It may help to know that the PC was built, not bought from a shop because some solutions I am seeing are brand specific and are of no use to me.

Help?

Thanks

We should probably start off with identifying your sound card.
Open Device Manager expand Sound, video and game controllers, select then right click the problem device and choose properties.
Select the Details tab, use the drop down arrow to change Device description to Hardware Ids
In the value box right click and choose select all, then right click again and choose copy.
Paste that information from the clip board into your next post and we'll see if we can help you find a driver
Should look something like this
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&CC_040100
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&CC_0401
but not necessarily exactly.

Thanks for your help, but I have now realised I was very stupid and didn't notice the extra audio jacks at the rear of my PC, which I have plugged my speakers into and all is well.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom