Windows 7 No Network Access after restart

TheDigitalJedi

SOLVED: No Network Access after restart

Hi there,

I seem to be having a very annoying issue with Windows 7 RC. Everytime I restart my PC I get the litte exclamation mark (!) and when I move my mouse over the icon it says "No Network Access" and sometimes unidentified connection.
Then, if I disable my network card and enable it again it works right away... so...

Last night I tried reinstalling because I did not have this problem at first so I thourgt maybe it was me that have done something wrong... However when I reinstalled it was working fine until I installed Microsoft updates and then office 2007 updates.

Could this have anything to do with the office updates?

My system info is as follows:
GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard
8 GB Kingston HyperX RAM
2x Realtek Gigabit 8111C Family

x64-Bit Windows 7

Do Anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this?

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Well I suspected the office updates from the beginning so that was the first this I aproached...
I restored my system back to before I installed Office 2007 and the I manually disabled Microsoft updates and then re-installed Office again and now it works like a charm!

Hope this could help someone else than me... :)

Last edited:
I had the same problem except my audio wasn't working as well. I restored to a point prior to that of my office 07 installation and mine is working fine, thanks. I wonder if it's the Microsoft update or the office updates causing the problem..

I wonder the exact same thing... Allthough when I tried uninstalling some of the office updates before restoring I could not uninstall SP1 for office and some other security updates, I don't know why but I have feeling that it is the Office Updates and not the Microsoft updates because I can enable Microsoft updates witout a problem... As long as I do not install the Office updates... :)

By the way... This seems only to be a problem on Realtek family 8111chip. But please let me know if you have the same problem but with another chip...

Last edited:
I may have the same issue, though I'm not sure. I lose my LAN connection and get two networks displayed, the second 'unidentified'. If I disable the drivers on my LAN card and turn off my system for a short time, when I reboot it finds the card and the LAN connection comes back. However, it will lose the connection at some point (without even rebooting). I have a Marvell Yukon Ethernet LAN card. Strangely, I can still connect with my other Ethernet card (wireless), and it never loses the connection. I do have Office 07 installed, with updates on.

Use system restore to roll back to the point before installing some of your initial office updates and then see if your network stuff works properly? If it does work then office 07 is your problem. You could try uninstalling it completely and then reinstalling it without enabling the automatic office updates?

Unidentified network with no internet access

I have same problem with Window 7 RC 7100 (downloaded form Microsoft)
I connect my desktop (with Intel Pro 10/100 ve adapter) via WRT54G linksys router.
Network was OK after I installed window 7 RC.
After simple reboot, network and sharing centre show my Desk top is connected to Multiple network and
not connected to internet anymore.
My Home netwotk ( steup) and a new " unidentified network" I never set up were found connected .
" Merge or Delete network location" function dosen't wotk when I tried to delete one netwotk.
Problem is solved after I Disable and enable the Lan adapter or uninstall and reinstall the adapter.
It happened again after next reboot. I have to uninstall or disable the adapter after every reboot to be able to connect to internet.:frown:
anyone has better solution to solve this problem?
thanks

Network

I've try everything and I still got no internet.(Reboot router an modem, deactivate/activate/uninstall/ install network adapter, reset router, restore to a point that was working well. Anyone got an idea!!! Few hour and back to vista :mad:

I've just restore before Office update and everythings look good

Last edited:
I am having similar issue with RC, where I am not able to connect to the Internet after installing Adobe Photoshop CS3. I have uninstalled photoshop and it started working. I have used photoshop without any issues with Win 7 beta though.

Same issue

I am using a Toshiba Portege R500 with the Intel 945 chipset (including LAN and WiFi). I have the same problem where after installing Office 2007 or Adobe CS3, my network does not work upon reboot. I have to uninstall and reinstall the network drivers on EVERY single reboot.

I never had these problems with the 7 beta or in Vista (using since launch). I read on another board that it may be related to the Zero Configuration Service, but I don't even see that in my list of services on 7 RC.

If anyone figures out the root cause of this, let me know.

Fixed Mine...for now!

Well, I had the same issue: Reboot = No Internet access...shutdown, power up = Internet restored...

I did also show the "unidentified" network on my PC. I'm Running Win 7 RC x64 with Office 2007 and CS3. Here is what I came up with:

Local Area Connection Properties - Disable the following:

IP v6
Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Leave the others checked and restart the PC. This fixed my Internet connection without a system restore, and also removed the "unidentified" network...

I am installing ALL MS Office updates as I type this, and will also try experimenting with the above connection items and report my findings here. I am not currently sharing files, so I cannot tell you if these are needed. My guess is they are for Grandmas who don't know how to use traditional NTFS Sharing...I am going to get my network as close to the "old-school" way of (non-simplified) sharing and I'll let you know what happens.

If I can just use password sharing then I say to hell with these new connection items and Microsoft's 'new wave' networking for dummies...

I'll let ya know ASAP -

For now the above appears to fix it just fine...reboots and all!

Good luck! :razz:

******EDIT - THIS DID NOT WORK AFTER UPDATING>>>*****see Post #39...

Last edited:
I have same problem with Window 7 RC 7100 (downloaded form Microsoft)
I connect my desktop (with Intel Pro 10/100 ve adapter) via WRT54G linksys router.
Network was OK after I installed window 7 RC.
After simple reboot, network and sharing centre show my Desk top is connected to Multiple network and
not connected to internet anymore.
My Home netwotk ( steup) and a new " unidentified network" I never set up were found connected .
" Merge or Delete network location" function dosen't wotk when I tried to delete one netwotk.
Problem is solved after I Disable and enable the Lan adapter or uninstall and reinstall the adapter.
It happened again after next reboot. I have to uninstall or disable the adapter after every reboot to be able to connect to internet.:frown:
anyone has better solution to solve this problem?
thanks

The exact same thing happens to me expect with a SIS 900 fast ethernet wired adapter.

Fixed Mine...for GOOD!

OK, SO after I applied Office SP1 - same issue...I have a Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 on my RC x64 PC...

I ended up just downloading the driver shown below for Vista x64 and it fixed my issues...I have all TCP/IP settings check, except IP v6 and I have rebooted several times with no "unidentified" network or loss of Internet.

The driver version is:
File Name: setup_v10.69.2.3.zip Date: April 21, 2009 Size: 1.3 megabytes Description: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 x86 and x64 Multi-Language Installer (32- and 64-bit)and the link (which may not work but you can search the Marvell site) is:

Marvell: Download Drivers

Hope I can help at least one of you!

Same thing

Same problem :-\. But I need Adobe CS3 installed so I am just dealing with it. Please send an update Microsoft!

Script

Can a script be written to automatically enable and disable the network connection? That script could be put into the Startup Script path for the user, causing Windows to re-establish the connection to the identified network.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

I have the same problem. Also Photoshop CS3 installed. After Enable/Disable network device everything fixes.

I've googled about devcon. Its a Utility to manage devices. Not sure will it work on Vista or Windows 7, but here is a article about windows XP:
Enable / disable a device from the command line - The solution

I will try to download this utility and try to write batch script. If I'll get success, I will inform you here.

BTW, Is it possible run scripts as administrator from batch scripts (.bat .cmd etc)? How to do it? As I will put scripts in startup.

Fixed

I have the same problem. Also Photoshop CS3 installed. After Enable/Disable network device everything fixes.

I've googled about devcon. Its a Utility to manage devices. Not sure will it work on Vista or Windows 7, but here is a article about windows XP:
Enable / disable a device from the command line - The solution

I will try to download this utility and try to write batch script. If I'll get success, I will inform you here.

BTW, Is it possible run scripts as administrator from batch scripts (.bat .cmd etc)? How to do it? As I will put scripts in startup.

Link Removed - Invalid URL - A tutorial for adding startup scripts. I think if you have it run for the administrator account, it will have admin privileges right?

Btw, my problem is fixed. I don't know how I did it or what I did, but I still have Office 2007 w/ SP2 and Adobe CS3 Master Collection installed. I did the BROADCAST flag tweak earlier to no avail. I disabled IPv6 for my network connections and re-enabled. And I also modified the Power Management settings in the Device Management section of My Computer Manage and did not allow for the network devices to wake the computer.

Hope it helps. I will post again if the problem returns.

same thing with me.

Tried "everything" including uninstalling devices (wireless netw), drivers, disabling firewalls and home networks. some of ghe "solutions" i found over the web.

I have an Acer Extensa 4420, conected to a single blue cable with no wireless network around. I dont use the Office but i do have installed photoshop cs3. Do you really think CS3 and this problem is related?

Please help, cause im tired of having to setup the net over here everytime i reboot.

Thanks.

Well, i think this problem was fixed by microsoft itself. Yesterday i did a windows update and two corrections were installed. After that, i had no more problems with my networks.

Anyone else?

No updates for me :(

Ok, I've tried devcon. The problem is, that if I run devcon from command prompt, It opens in new cmd windows, shows output and closes immediatly. So, no chance to detect lan card's ID's.

After lots of googling, I found PowerShell utility (i'ts built in to windows7).
So here is very long and detail guide, how I made batch file to enable and disable adapter. But no luck to launch it on startup. Any suggestions would be welcome.

===THE GUIDE ===
This is all way which I did to achieve this fix.

1. Start PowerShell
%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

2. Detect your lan adapter
From power shell prompt execute:
get-wmiobject win32_networkadapter | format-table

In my case I got such list:
ServiceName MACAddress AdapterType DeviceID Name NetworkAddresses Speed
----------- ---------- ----------- -------- ---- ---------------- -----
NdisWan 5 WAN Miniport ...
NdisWan 6 WAN Miniport ...
NVENETFD F6:F0:00:E7:3... Ethernet 802.3 7 NVIDIA nForce... 100000000
NdisWan 8 WAN Miniport ...
tunnel Tunnel 9 Microsoft ISA... 10000000
AsyncMac 20:41:53:59:4... Wide Area Net... 10 RAS Async Ada...

As We can see, there is Field AdapterType. As I have only one lan card - there is line NVENETFD F6:F0:00:E7:3... Ethernet 802.3 7 NVIDIA nForce...
And this is my Nvidia lan adapter (Ethernet 802.3 ensures it) So I memorize DeviceID (in my case it's 7)
Your number could vary.

3. Assign variable to your adapter
$nv = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter | where {$_.DeviceId -eq 7}
Notice "-eq 7" part? Thats my adapter's DeviceID.

4. Manipulate adapter
As we have set $nv variable to network adapter, we can call adapter's methods.
To show method list to device use:
$nv | get-member

TypeName: System.Management.ManagementObject#root\cimv2\Win32_NetworkAdapter

Name MemberType Definition
---- ---------- ----------
Disable Method System.Management.ManagementBaseObject Disable()
Enable Method System.Management.ManagementBaseObject Enable()
Reset Method System.Management.ManagementBaseObject Reset()

As you can see there are Disable and Enable methods

5. Test Disable and Enable methods
Ok, we have device variable (object) $nv, and know it has Disable and Enable methods. So let's try them:

PS C:\Users\Vaidas> $nv.Disable()

__GENUS : 2
__CLASS : __PARAMETERS
__SUPERCLASS :
__DYNASTY : __PARAMETERS
__RELPATH :
__PROPERTY_COUNT : 1
__DERIVATION : {}
__SERVER :
__NAMESPACE :
__PATH :
ReturnValue : 5

I got ReturnValue 5. Thats bad. Something is wrong (if value 0 - everything is ok). And device is not disabled.
Turns out, that we need to run powershell as administrator to execute disable and enable methods.

start->All programs->Accessories->Windows PowerShell right click on icon and select run as administrator.

As you allready know your DeviceID skip to step #3 assign variable to adapter.
Now Disable() and Enable() should work.

STARTUP

1. We need to add adapter's variable to profile. Every time PowerShell starts, it will create our LAN adapter's variable.
Detect where profile is:

PS C:\Users\Vaidas> $profile

C:\Users\Vaidas\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1

first time we need to create that file
To create the file first:

PS C:\Users\Vaidas> new-item -path $profile -itemtype file -force

To edit profile:
PS C:\Users\Vaidas> notepad $profile

And insert your var line:
$nv = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter | where {$_.DeviceId -eq 7}

Save it, try to run PowerShell again. If it works, $nv command should work.

If you get error - try to change execution policy:

PS C:\Users\Vaidas> Set-Executionpolicy Unrestricted
OR
PS C:\Users\Vaidas> Set-Executionpolicy RemoteSigned

I tried Set-Executionpolicy RemoteSigned and it worked for me.

Now let's write .bat file:
Create fix_it.bat file and add these lines:
%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe $nv.Disable()
%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe $nv.Enable()
Save changes and exit.

===END OF THE GUIDE ===

Now, if you press right mouse button and choose run as Administrator the Internet begins to work.
But I did not manage to run these on startup. Tried Trogey's tutorial Link Removed - Invalid URL but lan does not restart.
I even tried to wait 60 seconds before stop/start adapter on startup.
Maybe $nv is in current user's profile and not in system's or admin's. Any suggestions about that?

Well, for now I've put bat file on desktop and after reboot simply run it as admin.

Back
Top Bottom