Windows 7 No sound (code 10 error) windows says I have best drivers, any help?

RougeR

Hey first time on forum (got recommended here by a friend) I built myself a new computer about 3 months ago and the sound worked fine up until about 3 weeks ago, then one day i lost all use of my headphone 3mm ports and could only get sound through my HDMI cable via my monitors built in sound...this was annoying but not the end of the world. I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to resolve this to no avail and after changing monitors to one which is only DVI-D (doesn't transmit sound ofc) and VGA i now have no sound and it is rather a larger problem

Here is the issue; I currently have two High definition audio drivers appearing in my device manager both are the same version one is down as working fine the other displays code 10 error device cannot start.
the one that says it is working is located on;PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1.
The one that will not work is on; PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0
now when ever i try and update/change the drivers for either of them after uninstalling them, windows just claims the best drivers are installed and are up to date regardless of what I do. Also i cannot do a roll back 0.o? Also after i uninstall and search for hardware changes windows tries to automatically install drivers (at least that what i think its doing), and i cant delete the driver file install location as even though im the only user i dont have system 32 permissions ( used cmd to get around this now)

here are my system specs quickly;
Motherboard; Asus Intel Socket 1155 P8Z68 M PRO
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...55/P8Z68M_PRO/ - tried these drivers and the ones on the install disk and another set on a site I found.
Memory: 8GB DDR3 corsair vengeance RAM
Graphics card: Nvidia 560ti 2gb Phantom
Processor: I5 2500k 3.30Ghz
Power supply Unit; OCZ zs series 650W 80 plus Bronze
HDD 1: segate barracuda green 5200rpm 1.5TB
Case: antec 900
Monitor 1: AOC 21.5"
Monitor 2: Gnr 15" generic

TL;DR Asus Intel Socket 1155 P8Z68 M PRO mobo' keep getting code 10 errors, windows wont let me update or roll back also have two drivers showing up. one working one not.

Thanks in advance.

RougeR

edit- also the drivers for my mobo claim on the actual file there in that they are for vista x64 i assume this makes little difference as i couldnt find any mention of any win 7 drivers..
also not sure if its anything to do with hdmi drivers my mate mentioned this 0.o

edit 02- still no replies on any forums :( ive just flashed the bios up to the latest version and it hasn't made any impact, i also made sure chipset etc was all up to date, no luck...

Last edited:
Well if all else fails you can try an inplace reinstall of win7.
Back up all you important data, drop in your install disk right after booting to the desktop. Follow the directions and it will install all new windows files. Once that is done if all is good. make sure you verify that the install did not install any generic windows drivers. This may or may not solve your problem but may pin it down to a hardware or software issue.

In Device Manager, your sound devices should look something like mine. I have the original version of the P8Z68-v Pro board.

Also, in playback devices, check to see if you have HDMI selected as the default playback device. The drivers for the board are on the Asus site, but make sure you are looking at the correct version, either the original or the Gen 3

You should have the Realtek drivers installed, and possibly the Intel Display, but not sure about the Intel. I am assuming you are looking for x64 drivers...

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P8Z68-M PRO

If you have an Nvidia card, it might also install HD Audio drivers.

Attachments

• Sound Dev.GIF
    Sound Dev.GIF
    5.1 KB · Views: 736
in playback device there is nothing there at all to selectdriver error 02 screenshot.png
and yes i am looking for x64 drivers, im running windows 7 ultimate, also above is a screenshot of my device manager, dont know if that helps also what is the intel audio driver you have??

thanks for both of your replies btw

If I were you, I would uninstall the yellow marked HD audio device in the System devices. Then download and install the Realtek drivers from the website.

I don't know that Nvidia card, but does it have an HDMI output? It only shows 3 devices in the Device Manager and I am use to seeing 4.

Last edited:
Hi

You can also try my universal fix for everything.
Don't laugh it works most of the time.

Go into Device Manager find the Sound Video and Game Controllers folder.

Select your audio device, (in your case I'd do both of them) right click on it and select uninstall.

Reboot your computer and let Windows re-identify it re-install it and pick the drivers for it (let it go online and look).
A lot of the time Windows will get it right, and the device will start working again.

It may be that the two entries are conflicting, and the one with the error message "Can't Start" because the other one already did.
It will be interesting to see if Windows re-installs one or two devices.

I only have one entry for each device though I see 3 devices relating to audio shown, AMD High Definition Audio Device, Creative SB X-FI and SndTaudio.

Good Luck

Mike

Hi

You can also try my universal fix for everything.
Don't laugh it works most of the time.

Go into Device Manager find the Sound Video and Game Controllers folder.

Select your audio device, (in your case I'd do both of them) right click on it and select uninstall.

Reboot your computer and let Windows re-identify it re-install it and pick the drivers for it (let it go online and look).
A lot of the time Windows will get it right, and the device will start working again.

It may be that the two entries are conflicting, and the one with the error message "Can't Start" because the other one already did.
It will be interesting to see if Windows re-installs one or two devices.

I only have one entry for each device though I see 3 devices relating to audio shown, AMD High Definition Audio Device, Creative SB X-FI and SndTaudio.

Good Luck

Mike

okay will have another shot at it, ive tried variations on what you've said but i cant remember if i did a full restart and uninstalled both at once, however when windows tries normally it just says install unsuccesful

also i have tried the realtek drivers to no avail but will retry

Back