Windows 7 Not assigning drive letter

bcubes

I just built a system using the Asus M4A79XTD EVO mobo. An AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU. An XFX Radeon FX-777A-ZD graphics card and a Seagate Barracuda 3TB hard drive. I reused an older 500G hard drive with a clean install of Windows 7. I also added an LG Blue Ray rewriter. My problem is Windows is not assigning the 3TB drive a letter. I can go into the BIOS and see that it is recognized there. Windows seems not to recognize it. When I fired it up the first time I went to Microsoft and updated the OS. I also went to Seagate to see if they have a driver available but according to what I read they don't have drivers available for down load and that Windows will have the necessary drivers included.

What can I do to get Windows to assign a letter?

There in lies the problem. There is no unallocated spaces listed in disk management. It is as if Widows does not see it. It is recognized in the BIOS however

Thanks for the help. I did another reboot and it appeared in disk management this time and was able to create a partition and assign the letter. Again thanks for the help.

Did you set the drive up in a GPT configuration so the entire drive could be used?

Yes. I was able to allocated the entire disk for use when it finally appeared in the disk manager. Again thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom