Windows 10 November update hell

Ralph Bromley

Fantastic Member
Okay serious issue trying to do the November update (threshold 2), I have tried both methods of updating via the windows update and the iso but neither work. I am very close to grabbing my other hard drive and using windows 7 again or just using Linux only.
Argleflargleblargle!

(threshold 2)
So it downloaded and installed ok but gave an error during the reboot stage, If so then it should have timed out and reloaded with the old wx install files... was there any error message or number on the screen?

No, but I was able to roll back.
But its still stuck at getting me the upgrade as I cannot get anything working.
I am thinking of doing a fresh install, maybe tonight do some preparations and backup my data, write down my licence and then reinstall windows 10 and do all this malarky the hard way

Put it on a wired network for the boot as ime it's network or sound issues that stop the install on older boards... good luck with it and be aware that the new upgrade will reset most of your settings (like onedrive sign in for example) so you may want to then double check that the windows search service doesn't take control of your system after booting to desktop.

This is on a wired device, this is my desktop which is my networks host machine.
I have no idea why this is giving so much grief as this is relatively new hardware that I got in June or so.
Here are my specs:

esjnp6K.png

Last edited:
Did the old wx build have issues when you plug a headset into the phone jack perhaps?

Try remove the intel drivers until after the reboot... if you have the actual Intel drivers instead of the older Microsoft intel drivers it can upset the install... yes, it shouldn't but I have seen it happen... sorry mate that's all I can think of off hand.

I do, well thats messed up.
I will give that a shot, but that is a rather stupid issue methinks.
I know linux has its driver issues but come on its a little better in that respect of needing to remove the intel driver before upgrading.
If this was a NVIDIA or AMD yeah I can foresee issues but intel drivers usually do quite well on both OS's

No safe boot is disabled, I am a linux user you know.
I have no UEFI enabled either, I originally had windows 7 on this as well without UEFI support enabled.

Some versions of Linux can run the Windows Secure Boot just fine if installed as UEFI. I have been running Windows 7 as UEFI since 2010.

The Intel Display audio looks a little strange to me. Are you running the audio through an HDMI cable?

If you have any files named setupact.log you might go through them to see if any errors show up. There may be more than one version, so try to find one which was active during the upgrade/rollback. Hopefully it wasn't removed during the rollback. If you have a Windows\Panther folder it may be there.

Running multiple OSes on a system may be involved in your problems. That is why always set up my OSes on separate Hard drives so I can disconnect them during such operations.

I'm surprised that you don't run on a efi but the upgrade went over my windows 8/10 lappy without issue... Still the fact that it is an upgrade and not just a update does open the door to it being somehow gurp related.

Have you got another old or blank hdd that you can test the install with i.e. Unplug all other hdd and just install the upgraded wx as a stand alone... No reg key is needed since the motherboard is the same.

Some versions of Linux can run the Windows Secure Boot just fine if installed as UEFI. I have been running Windows 7 as UEFI since 2010.

The Intel Display audio looks a little strange to me. Are you running the audio through an HDMI cable?

If you have any files named setupact.log you might go through them to see if any errors show up. There may be more than one version, so try to find one which was active during the upgrade/rollback. Hopefully it wasn't removed during the rollback. If you have a Windows\Panther folder it may be there.

Running multiple OSes on a system may be involved in your problems. That is why always set up my OSes on separate Hard drives so I can disconnect them during such operations.

Well the HDMI thing I cant do anything about, I only have the one monitor I can use and its a samsung TV without any other ports except RCA for input. Its HDMI or bust I am afraid.

I do run both OS's on separate drives so no issue there. I can unplug the linux drive and see if that will do anything
I'm surprised that you don't run on a efi but the upgrade went over my windows 8/10 lappy without issue... Still the fact that it is an upgrade and not just a update does open the door to it being somehow gurp related.

Have you got another old or blank hdd that you can test the install with i.e. Unplug all other hdd and just install the upgraded wx as a stand alone... No reg key is needed since the motherboard is the same.
The weird part is that I went from windows 7 to windows 10 without much issue, but upgrading windows 10 to windows 10 seems like where the hoop jumping comes in.
Its very bizarre.

Back