Windows 8 Observation & info since 8.1 Update (8.1.1)

One thing (option) the Update offers is showing Store APPs on the Taskbar. Fair enough &...

Please, note: IF this is chosen, The Switcher Bar is, still, there, so they are, in effect, in 2 locations. However, the functionality is not identical @ each. Handy as it is having them on the Taskbar, there are some actions only in the Switcher Bar. Having them on the Taskbar does allow one to SEE them (all the time) & Open them without, having to 'pop out' the Switcher Bar; added convenience.

Also, notice, added functionality regarding manipulating APPs, from the Taskbar, in terms of Open, Minimize, Close & positioning. There is a wee bar @ the Top or Side of the APP. To the Right or Bottom is - & x. @ the other end, an icon for the APP which, gives maneuvering or positioning choices as per the Switcher Bar. This is part of the 'nicer for mousers' effort.

Speaking of the Switcher Bar... this may have existed, already, and I just hadn't noticed it. Found it whilst investigating things après the Update. Anyway, if you Left Clk & hold, you can 'pull' an APP off or from the Switcher Bar, it kind of 'floats', is large enough to view nicely on top of the desktop... won't, actually, 'pop' the APP until & unless you Clk on it.

Another piece of trivia going back to APPs on the Taskbar... Anything pinned to the Taskbar can be moved about, positioned wherever laterally as one wants. The same can be done w/ the APP 'icons' although, they & the 'others' don't mix together.

Hope I've said this such that it makes sense or is written so it is understandable.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg .1

What the hell is the "Switch-Bar". I've never heard of it....is it slang for something.

This much I knew, but I am not sure if it is in anyway related to "switch bar" or "wee (?) bar".

If an app is open, hover the cursor at the very top, a bar will drop down showing the name of the app. At top right will be the minimize and exit buttons, "-" and "x". Top left will show the icon identifying the app.
If one places the cursor at that top bar > left click and HOLD > one can drag the app to the left or right.
ex. drag the app to the left > release HOLD > the app will stay on the left half of the screen. There is a "divider" at the middle separating the app from the empty right side.
Not sure the usefulness of such elaborate maneuver other than showing 2 windows side by side.

Last edited:
I don't know who conjured up the name, but it is well used. It is the Apps switcher which appears as a bar over on the left, allowing you to reselect closed items.
I found it a nuisance in earlier Windows 8 releases, as I rarely use any of the Metro apps-

One thing to note, though, in this respect. Using the "x" as referred to by Drew, or pulling down an application in order to close it, does not, in fact. (Have a look in the task manager). The only successful way, although there may be others, that I have found to close a Metro app is Alt F4.

Pardon but, no, Dave.

1st, the thingy (excuse the techno jargon) @ the Top-Left Corner is, properly, called the Switcher Bar... I had, before I knew, always said the "APP Bar'. One could 'control' any (Store/Windows) APPs there. Now, those APPs can sit on the Task Bar. The idea being to make using APPs whilst on Desktop more 'User Friendly'. And part an intent heighten the mouse/keyboard experience.

I am not talking about a need to 'grab & pull down' to close an APP. I am not talking about Rt Clk an APP @ the Switcher Bar & hitting Close. What exists, now, is a bar when you mouse to the top of an open APP that has a - (sign) & an x @ its right end... these will minimise or close the APP. @ the other or left end is the APPs icon...clicking that gives more options. IF the APP is sharing the screen w/ Desktop, then this (control) bar will be on the side, of the APP.

I have never used Alt+F4 to close an APP. There are quicker, easier, few-steps, ways. Alt+F4 does get a shutdown options window.

I will say, however few or little APPs are used... IF one has ALL applications on the Taskbar and Win > Start and APPs on the Task Bar... one never, really, needs to leave Desktop. And don't need to 'pop out' the Switcher Bar to deal w/ APPs :)

Some of the 'mechanics' in this Update are not so bad; especially, as one sees how to make them work for them and w/ greater appeal.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. I thought that was what I said, but in fewer words? I don't use the task bar as a menu, so cannot comment on the subject. You can, of course, pull down an app (In the Metro screen) and hold it momentarily, it will then be gone. A quicker way than Alt F4 ?? No comment.

Or, simply, just hit X to close or - to minimise.... like any window.

Cus now instead of pulling anything about one just Xs out. Or minimizes for/until later; like any window, btw.

Just letting Folks know what there is available (now). Some may not be overtly obvious to all, sometimes.

Sorry, Dave, not sure what you mean by "don't use Taskbar as a menu". A good bit of the Update was indulging Desktop Users... Desktop view or screen. And so one didn't need to 'pop out' Switcher Bar and could always, easily see what was 'Live', Store APPs could, now, sit, @ the ready, on the Task Bar, that's all... nothing about it being any kind of "menu".

Also, not absolutely sure what you mean by "Metro" unless the Start screen. However, even if one opens an APP from there, it is, still the same, as I said but, different than 8.1.0 The grab-pull down-gone is not the case... Yes, can grab the APP & put it in the Switcher Bar & click to a different APP (there) or back to Desktop (from there, too) or just X to close but, not what was w/ the grab-down-gone routine. I tried it over & over just to be certain and not to mis-speak..

A lot of folks just keep basics going like Weather, Calendar & such.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Last edited:
"
Or, simply, just hit X to close or - to minimise.... like any window."
Obviously you mean like any Metro App window? clicking x on a legacy app closes it completely.

"don't use Taskbar as a menu". . And so one didn't need to 'pop out' Switcher Bar and could always, easily see what was 'Live', Store APPs could, now, sit, @ the ready, on the Task Bar, that's all... nothing about it being any kind of "menu"."

No attempt to criticise. I see a line of Apps on the taskbar as a menu, albeit in a different form. As I said, simply, no inference, I don't use the taskbar as a menu. I use the modern gui, (Metro), customised. The discussion has been in many previous threads.

"Also, not absolutely sure what you mean by "Metro" unless the Start screen" Googling is your friend.

In this case (thread), pictures would be worth a 1000 words as to who is talking about what. It would make things a whole lot easier for the rest of us to understand what is being talked about.

Yes david...I believe that's what Drew is referring to as the switch bar. I never knew what it was called, just that it was there....lol.

Drew said ....... Handy as it is having them on the Taskbar, there are some actions only in the Switcher Bar.

Other than being able to pull an app in and out of the switch bar, I would like to know what the " some actions only in the switch bar " are.

For now, having the apps minimized in the task bar is adequate enough for me.

Image 5.png

Last edited:
David,
so far I have many things that are really great with the latest update of Windows 8.1.1. Besides what you have mentioned, now my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse no longer loses connection which was happening several times a day. And I really like the changes in the start menu area. At least now I have the current time where I can see it easily. All in all very nice and much more useful then 8.1. David I meant to add that I was able to get a program for the start menu that was previously not available or I did not know about it. It is called Start Menu Ultimate. It adds or can add a bunch of very useful things to the start page. These things make the start page a whole lot nicer to use.

Last edited:
........... It is called Start Menu Ultimate.

I have never heard of it. Searching at google came up zero.
Make sure what you propose is not a rogue program disguised as legit.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Curiosity got me and I installed it. Big disappointment really. All it can do is as shown on the first picture of the site. I can do that anyway, unfortunately, without using a third party program. (but with the Metro "squares")They do promise, however, more to come.

Thanks for the heads up. Curiosity got me and I installed it. Big disappointment really. All it can do is as shown on the first picture of the site. I can do that anyway, unfortunately, without using a third party program. (but with the Metro "squares")They do promise, however, more to come.
Your welcome. It seems like it has some promise anyway. Take care.

Yes, that in the Top-Left Corner is what is called the Switcher Bar & that I always just call the APP Bar.

Another thing worth mentioning is if the Store APPs are showing on the Task Bar, it is really easy to close them there; just Rt Clk & hit Close Window :)

You have to understand here that a lot of people, actually, like the Start screen and have settled into using it. Ironically, a lot in the Update was mouse/keyboard End Users (NON-Touch) and people who prefer & live on Desktop. Both parties have expressed concerns about the design & use (navigating and other 'mechanics'). Well, much of what I offer sometimes is due to no dislike for the Start screen but, due to the fact that I live 100% on Desktop. It is nice doing or reaching everything w/out ever having to change screens.

And this can be done w/out adding any 3rd Party materials. Be glad to tell anyone how; although, I have put the info in Tutorials way back when.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Hi Drew,
absolutely right. And I believe that even more people will be trying it, and finding out that it's getting to be so much better to use even on a non-touch computer. I think Microsoft actually had a great idea, which still not perfect it is getting better and better all the time. I am finding it fun to use from either the desktop or the start screen. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom