Windows 8 Observation & info since 8.1 Update (8.1.1)

One thing (option) the Update offers is showing Store APPs on the Taskbar. Fair enough &...

Please, note: IF this is chosen, The Switcher Bar is, still, there, so they are, in effect, in 2 locations. However, the functionality is not identical @ each. Handy as it is having them on the Taskbar, there are some actions only in the Switcher Bar. Having them on the Taskbar does allow one to SEE them (all the time) & Open them without, having to 'pop out' the Switcher Bar; added convenience.

Also, notice, added functionality regarding manipulating APPs, from the Taskbar, in terms of Open, Minimize, Close & positioning. There is a wee bar @ the Top or Side of the APP. To the Right or Bottom is - & x. @ the other end, an icon for the APP which, gives maneuvering or positioning choices as per the Switcher Bar. This is part of the 'nicer for mousers' effort.

Speaking of the Switcher Bar... this may have existed, already, and I just hadn't noticed it. Found it whilst investigating things après the Update. Anyway, if you Left Clk & hold, you can 'pull' an APP off or from the Switcher Bar, it kind of 'floats', is large enough to view nicely on top of the desktop... won't, actually, 'pop' the APP until & unless you Clk on it.

Another piece of trivia going back to APPs on the Taskbar... Anything pinned to the Taskbar can be moved about, positioned wherever laterally as one wants. The same can be done w/ the APP 'icons' although, they & the 'others' don't mix together.

Hope I've said this such that it makes sense or is written so it is understandable.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg .1

Heading for one of those agree to disagree things. Not to repeat, but as I said, I am using the metro start screen as my (graphical) menu, with my most used desktop shortcut program icons icons (Not "All Apps) A matter of opinion, without doubt, but I find it easier to hit the Windows key to get to my menu, than look through the old Windows 7 menu.

That's a good way to do it. Me I just want to get used to all the OS has to offer. And it does have a lot. One thing special for me with the new update is my Bluetooth mouse finally works right all the time now. That was a real pain when it did work properly. I will be very interested in seeing if some new apps come out sometime soon.

With this update, I hope if fixes the wifi dropping epidemic that's running rampant.

I want to see an option to completely turn the Start Screen off in the future. Start Screen is just not for me. I like Win 8 for its snappiness. But that's just it. I don't even use the Start Screen on my tablet. It's not that I don't want to learn on how to use it. It just doesn't interest me at all.

My observation, I think everything was snappier after the recent update. And that is good.

Again, I repeat, for those you do not care to use Start or ALL Apps, as in "leave Desktop" one CAN access everything from Desktop. Trust me, I do it every day.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Again, I repeat, for those you do not care to use Start or ALL Apps, as in "leave Desktop" one CAN access everything from Desktop. Trust me, I do it every day.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 26891

I know. I do it, too. Why leave it there for nothing? If only there is a check box to disable it completely. If a dual boot is possible, where you have a choice between 2 OSes in one machine, why not give us a choice to use one type of interface: desktop or start screen or both. For desktop PC, disable start screen, For tablets and touchscreens, disable desktop. Should be very simple. I'm sure it will boost Win 8 acceptance level.

Last edited:
I know. I do it, too. Why leave it there for nothing? If only there is a check box to disable it completely. If a dual boot is possible, where you have a choice between 2 OSes in one machine, why not give us a choice to use one type of interface: desktop or start screen or both. For desktop PC, disable start screen, For tablets and touchscreens, disable desktop. Should be very simple. I'm sure it will boost Win 8 acceptance level.

I'm missing what the big deal is. It's no drawing on resources, so if one is not going to it, not using it, ok, fine but, who cares if it exists. I could sort of understand this complaint but, not since one can boot straight to Desktop. After that, pretend there is no Start, ignore it but, can do that w/out putting it to death.

Don't care for it, don't use it; forget about it.

If it is never visited = it's not there
If a tree falls & nobody is there to hear it...

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

while it's there, it keeps resetting my login options everytime a major update was made. It takes over your user account settings. What if someone forgot his microsoft account password because he doesn't care about it and switched to local account? It's very annoying. One can try to ignore it but IT (the Metro crAPPs) WILL BUG YOU ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:
I don't have that issue at all badrobot. Any major update has never taken over my user account settings and reset my login options. I still sign in with as normal. As far as the apps go, I turn every one of those apps off.

What I meant was I set up local account and use pin to login. But after the update it went back to microsoft account asking for my password all the time. So I have to set it up again but the passwords are still the same. What's bugging me is the fact that you have to be logged in all the time to be able to update anything. It's a general public update and not private user update. The login is basically for all crAPPs to get updated.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Ahh....I see said the blind man. That may be the difference/key between the local/MS log in.

I noticed differences between the 64bit Windows 8 pro and the 32bit Windows 8 (non-pro).

E.g, in Windows 8 pro, the desktop picture does show behing the start tiles. In the plain Windows 8 32bit, the desktop background does not show.

I noticed differences between the 64bit Windows 8 pro and the 32bit Windows 8 (non-pro).

E.g, in Windows 8 pro, the desktop picture does show behing the start tiles. In the plain Windows 8 32bit, the desktop background does not show.

I am now using Win 8.1.1 Pro.
I had Win 8 Pro for no longer then 12 days before upgrading to 8.1. So, I cannot say for sure.
In Win 8.1.1 you can use your picture background on Start screen, or you can use the default solid color which you had selected during the upgrade from Win 8 to 8.1.
Win 8 , pro or non-pro, might have the same option on taskbar/navigation.

Win 8.1.1 desktop > right click at Taskbar > Properties > Navigation tab > ( see my screenshot )

Image 3.png

Last edited:
What I meant was I set up local account and use pin to login. But after the update it went back to microsoft account asking for my password all the time. So I have to set it up again but the passwords are still the same. What's bugging me is the fact that you have to be logged in all the time to be able to update anything. It's a general public update and not private user update. The login is basically for all crAPPs to get updated.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app
I've been using a local account on my Win 8.x machines (desktop, laptop, tablet and seveal VMs) since the very first Win 8 preview was released. All of them have now been upgraded to 8.1.1 and none were reset to an MS account and I do not get bugged all of the time to login.

OneDrive does insist that you convert your machine over to an MS account before you can access it so I don't use the MS OneDrive app. I use a 3rd party program called SyncDriver for OneDrive which allows me to keep synced without using an MS account on my machine.

Thanks David for the hint. After checking the little box, the desktop appeared on Start in the 32bit system. But the wife thought it was too messy and since it is her system, I set it to default again.

Drew said ....... Handy as it is having them on the Taskbar, there are some actions only in the Switcher Bar.

Other than being able to pull an app in and out of the switch bar, I would like to know what the " some actions only in the switch bar " are.

For now, having the apps minimized in the task bar is adequate enough for me.

View attachment 26881

David,

If you Rt Clk on an APP on the APP Bar the are positioning options that one does not have if Rt Clk on the same APP icon on the Task Bar; Insert Left, Insert Right, etc.

It is to that stuff I was referring.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I am now using Win 8.1.1 Pro.
I had Win 8 Pro for no longer then 12 days before upgrading to 8.1. So, I cannot say for sure.
In Win 8.1.1 you can use your picture background on Start screen, or you can use the default solid color which you had selected during the upgrade from Win 8 to 8.1.
Win 8 , pro or non-pro, might have the same option on taskbar/navigation.

Win 8.1.1 desktop > right click at Taskbar > Properties > Navigation tab > ( see my screenshot )

View attachment 26898

This looks like a bunch of gibberish to the average person. They have no idea, or care in the world, what it means. That is the big problem with 8.

Personally I like windows 8 better than 8.1 because of the snap screen… which makes me a minority but I'm also the target demographic i.e. someone whom has above average computer skills and a full time user for work and play.

In my professional view Windows 8.1 and 8.1.1 shows just how little Microsoft understands their clients by constantly insisting changes become the new standard overnight. When windows 8 came out without a start button it should have just been a minor issue for someone to go to their control panel and put a tick in a box to get their system back the way they were used to, instead Microsoft insisted on playing silly buggers, deliberately hiding the off switch and opening the door to a parade of 3rd party coders which offered the uneducated their start buttons back… often with extra taskbars or other nuisance (sometimes malicious) extras which computer shops then have to fix.

In 8.1.1 the skydrive (onedrive) must be installed and if you don't like the idea of Microsoft putting your files onto the cloud or want to have a different software account then tuff titties, says Microsoft… see if you can guess what most of my clients are now asking me to remove from their registry for them?

p.s. I'm somewhat unusual in my area as the only professional actively recommending Microsoft products and many of my customers felt betrayed by the extant "our way or the highway" trend.

To be clear, it's not the changes that most people I speak to are really upset about but the fact that these changes are still being forced down their throats

MS can only play tough because they know that there are not many alternatives out there. Once large amounts of big companies and organizations start to implement alternatives, they may start listening.

That trend will probably start in Europe and by goverment branches. Some big German cities already went with Linux and the German goverment recommends not to use Windows 8 - but for other reasons.

Actually, it's more a matter of how technology evolves & changes. Although it's true or the same in other areas & 'things' of our culture. Doesn't really matter if it's planes, cars, audio gear or a plethora of our daily life over time. It's more a matter of whether such things are taken in stride & accepted graciously or not. The other obstacle is some 'human thing'... many humans just have a really hard time adapting to change w/ balking, protesting or clinging to what was. Others just take stuff, learn it, use it and carry on w/out balking, crying, whining or stomping their feet.

Truth is some people (not pointing any fingers) just seem to think it's 'hip' to jump on the bash MS bandwagon. I am an IT Pro Consultant/Tech. Over the years I've hear it all & much of it makes little sense or is not very broadminded. Things change but, when it's cars, cameras, audio gear, planes or... oh that's ok but, if the changes come from MS, now, it being forced on people. No, but, IF we make it into that, we can write it all off and give comments validity because MS did it.

Reminds me of, I think it was Richard Pryor, "the devil made me do it"... nice cop-out. OR... MS made me do it. No, progression made you do it. Regardless of whether 'progress' is thought to be good or bad, it marches on, anyway, w/ or w/out you. How one works or lives w/ that is another story.

----------------------------------------------------

I don't understand someone saying 'snap' is gone... Before Win8 we could make 2 windows share the screen, still, can & it's called 'snap'. Then, we could put a store APP & something else shared on the screen & that was called 'snap', too. NOW, if one Rt Clks an APP on the Switcher Bar we get Insert Left or Right... only the terminology changed... well, that and the fact that, now, 3 (three) things can share the screen AND w/ increased flexibility & possibilities than in 8.0

--------------------------------------------------------------

There are, actually, a few differences between 8.1 & 8.1.1 and most were to indulge the mousers (as opposed to Touch) and other things some ppl had been expressing. This was just an extension of things started in 8.1... like putting a Win key on the Task Bar and power options in the Power Users menu and Rt Clk menus on the Start Tiles. Then in the Update people got a power button & Search icon on the Start screen (doesn't mean much if you live on Desktop). Also, in the Update a lot was done in terms of Store APP handling. (1) APP icons can show & be pinned to the Task Bar and (2) they can be closed OR Minimised in a more traditional manner w/ a 'control bar' @ the top of them instead of grab & pull down. For those who don't like or don't use Start, it was 8.1 that said, ok, now, you can boot directly to Desktop. There is, also, under-the-covers stuff for enterprise.

Here is an article that spells out all that is new or changed in the 8.1.1 Update.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back