Windows 7 Odd monitor behavior since Windows 7 64-bit install.

GARoss

My PC is a dual boot Win7 64-bit & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit. No graphic issues on Ubuntu side. I did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit (upgrade from XP Home 32-bit), Intel Core2 2.40mhz & 4gb RAM. The graphic card is nVidia 6800GT (256mb) & all drivers are updated. Monitor is 24" Dell & no other monitors on this PC.

From the first boot after install, the screen goes black when doing an update or working with multiple windows; only the windows are visible - everything else on the screen is blacked out. If I grab the window & reposition to another area of of the screen, graphics re-appears in areas where the window was moved over. If I do the entire screen, everything restores.

I have installed Xara 3D6 which Xara says is compatible with Win7 64-bit but I get odd graphics with it, too. Some of the drop-down menus are impossible to read due to the drop-down having an faded, nearly see-through font graphics that eventually appear but not completely normal. This software frequently locks & crashes the PC.

I realize Xara is 32-bit software but Xara say it's compatible. I don't have this issue on the Ubuntu side so this eliminates hardware. That leaves Windows & 64 & drivers for the nVidia 6800GT graphics card. Somewhere there's a clash.

How can I trouble shoot this? :confused:

I realize Xara is 32-bit software but Xara say it's compatible. I don't have this issue on the Ubuntu side so this eliminates hardware. That leaves Windows & 64 & drivers for the nVidia 6800GT graphics card. Somewhere there's a clash.

How can I trouble shoot this? :confused:

Just because it works on Linux absolutely does not mean it's going to work properly on Windows.

It sounds to me like Xara changed a whack of system settings. You may be able to fix most of these through right clicking the desktop and selecting Personalize from the context menu... but I don't think that's all of it.

Are you using gadgets, docks, etc. that are running full time? One of these could easily be at fault. You should disable them all. Get your display back to normal then enable them one at a time until you find the guilty culprit.

Thanks for your response.
Just because it works on Linux absolutely does not mean it's going to work properly on Windows.

The black-out weirdness happens without any software being used. When this black-out occurs, there is a visible window - not a complete black screen.
On the Linux side there are no graphic issues with any program. I do use XaraLX on Linux side but Xara 3D6 is Windows only & is the program in question & has its own, non black-out issue.

It sounds to me like Xara changed a whack of system settings. You may be able to fix most of these through right clicking the desktop and selecting Personalize from the context menu... but I don't think that's all of it.

What needs to be addressed there? According to Windows 7, everything is optimized. Full 1920x1200, using Windows background. I'm not sure what to look for there.

Are you using gadgets, docks, etc. that are running full time? One of these could easily be at fault. You should disable them all. Get your display back to normal then enable them one at a time until you find the guilty culprit.

Not using gadgets, docks, etc.

What else can be checked? Is there an error log? Is my graphic card dated? 64-bit Ubuntu has no issues with it but I'm not working with heavy graphics like video & 3D Xara on Linux, just on Win 7.

Thanks

I have the latest driver installed for the 6800GT, v258.96.

Apparently Dell doesn't support Windows 7 drivers, either 32 or 64bit, for older monitors. Mine is a Dell 2405FPW. Microsoft supplies a generic PnP Monitor driver v 6.1.7600.16385.

Dell does offer a driver for the replacement model (Link Removed - Invalid URL). What's the chances this would work?

Back
Top Bottom