Windows 8 One hand doesn't know what the other is doing...

Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, again.

I have many programs on the desktop/program files and their respective shortcuts on the taskbar, I also have the same apps on the Start screen and of course in all apps and just now checking a few obscure ones and ones I use often, no matter where I'm at, they all open just fine.
So, what's the difference between me or anyone else having no issue and those who are? (this is an honest question)

Don

I too was a early adopter. I downloaded to my main desktop and my laptop. Things were quite frustrating for awhile. I had Win 7 Ultimate before and had great internet connectivity. Now not so much. I have a wired connection on my desktop and am using IE10 and Chrome Clicking on something new, website or forum page sometimes just sits there loading. I have taken to back arrow and then forward arrow to actually get it to work.
Another thing when I change my desktop wallpaper on my desk machine it takes only a day or to and that wallpaper appears on my laptop desktop. Creepy! I do use the same sign on with both machines but that means things that I thought were local are now on a cloud somewhere. I'm not liking that. kind of makes me feel violated.

That's considered one of the advantages of Win 8. If you have multiple PSs using the same log in, they will easily sync between PCs. If you do not wish this to happen, you would have to change the log on in one of the PCs. What was nice in my experience, when I installed from Win 8 Ent Eval edition on our 2 laptops to the Win 8 Pro edition, much of my info (phone, alternative email, account picture, etc.) was filled in for me. This saved me some time while installing a couple of copies of Win 8 Pro.

Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, again.

I have many programs on the desktop/program files and their respective shortcuts on the taskbar, I also have the same apps on the Start screen and of course in all apps and just now checking a few obscure ones and ones I use often, no matter where I'm at, they all open just fine.
So, what's the difference between me or anyone else having no issue and those who are? (this is an honest question)

Don

Gets to me, too, Don. I swear I have no problems with Windows 8. My personal preference is using both Metro and Desktop, customised and to full advantage. In the legacy desktop, I have not yet found anybreason to find fault, in comaparison to the almost identical Windows 7. I have "clients", but, with my own family, I handle 6 laptops and two stationaries. No problems there from me or the users.

I've only got 2 laptops here, both with absolutely no problems. My sister in Florida has also upgraded as has my brother in California. Both have no problems as far as I'm aware. My sister, not nearly as PC savvy, has asked me a few questions, but no other problems.

Yes I realized that, but when my 2d Desktop did not Sync it caused me to wonder, but I use a different e-mail for it, I see now.

Anyway something I forgot to do was download actual drivers for my motherboard, instead of relying on the generic drivers I have done that now and will see if that cures my woes, for the connectivity issue.

Well, I for one am done making excuses for Windows 8. I like it a lot, but the Metro interface just doesn't do it for me; nor do the Metro apps. I simply run Start8 and that's about it for Metro.

Hi

That's it for me too.

There are just too many things that don't work as well as they used to.

One of the main things that bugs me is that it just doesn't work for running multiple applications.

This is something that I do a lot.

I run my browser in a half screen windows so I can have another program open with it.

I run graphics programs side by side, and I use Word while I'm working online or in other software.

I access Skype while I'm doing other things.

It's just too inconvenient.

The whole one Windows at a time thing is counter to what Windows has always been about.

It just doesn't work for me.

Mike

Its no secret I loathe Win 8. But since installing Start 8, really I have come to be at peace with it more or less. I don't see the start screen, no hot corners or charm bars. I simply forget those pointless apps are there and use it the same as Win 7. Yeah I still hate it and will never recommend it to anyone on Win 7. No matter how many of the Win 8 Pollyannas insist its so much better. So I think its possible to deal with it by using tools to get around what doesn't work for you and trying to focus on making what does work better.

I can see a trend here, which is possibly resulting in different comments and criticism. Several posts here refer to the metro Apps. i cannot disagree with the comments. I also like to multi task on a single desktop. But, in truth, apart from the ones a user chooses to download, there are only about a dozen on the default screen. They are not particuarly unique and there are non metro programs available, which are as good and often better. - Music and Video are two examples. Except for a couple of time wasting games I have installed, I choose not to use the Metro Apps, with their present deficiencies.

But, if posters are concerned with the failings of the actual Metro screen/desktop, there I have to put myself into the opposition. I know there are, already, dozens of posts and threads, saying the same thing but, fwiw, I have all my previous, Windows 7 , apps pinned in the Metro desktop. I did weaken and install the Classic shell, but now rarely use it. It is not my habit to have the legacy desktop, or taskbar, filled with shortcuts so, in the past, I have always customised the Start menu in logical folders and program shortcuts.
Thinking on this. To open, say, Paint, as a simple example, meant clicking the Globe, then programs, possibly then a folder and then the shortcut. Closing was a cinch - click in the top right "x".
Now I have arranged my Metro desktop similarly in folders. I have the "All programs "available at a click, but have eliminated all but my regularly used programs from the actual Start.
If I need a program, it is a single click and it is placed on the legacy desktop. I can press the Windows key ad infinitum, and place as many open progams on the legacy desktop as I choose (multitasking). Similar to previous practice, I can "x" them away again. I see no reason to criticise this procedure. Some may say change for the sake of, but, remember we are looking at an OS which has dual capablity. For the tablet people, the touch is ready and waiting. For me, point and click is working, arguably a little slower. Once in a program, particuarly in the graphics area, finger control must be, I would imagine, an advantage in many instances, but this thread is about the Metro screen and it's icons.

I do believe it would be more productive if posters moved on from the ugly (Yes, it is) Metro screen and discussed other aspects of the new OS. The performance, all round, is better, for example, but not enough, over four years of development, to make me swoon. Somwher on the forum, moe than a year ago, I commented that a large Service pack for Windows 7, would have got most of the "improved" functions of Windows 8 incorporated. certainly the much heralded Start up time, which has only been achieved by tricks of the trade and could very easily have been applied to Windows 7. Frankly, a comparison of start up times is, to me, of little interest. I start my own computer once a day, and an improvement of 35 seconds on that time does not impress me

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty, I would have preferred METRO to be second to desktop. As it is now where METRO is first, it is not something I would use at all. I would have preferred Microsoft to either give me the option to switch off METRO or to boot directly to desktop without having to go through METRO.

I personally have no affinity for METRO on a PC. METRO looks fine for tablets and phones but on a PC?

Hi

Well I won't keep beating a dead horse I'll just sum it up by saying there's nothing wrong with Windows 8 as an operating system.

I like it, it's fast and seems to be more stable then Windows 7 for me.
I'm good at doing things that hang my computer! LOL

In my opinion the Metro Start Screen and the fact that it will run only one windows at a time just makes no sense.

At least not for me, I use multiple windows all the time, I like to access things like the Snipping Tool while I have other windows sometimes two or three running.

I like to be able to start Skype etc, while I'm working in another window.

It just doesn't make sense to limit the user to having only one windows at a time open.

The apps have a lot of limitations as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now when seen from the perspective of using a cell phone it makes sense.

If you opened up 3 screens at the same time on you cell phone you wouldn't be able to read any of them.

If you mail app had a hundred options like Live Mail does you wouldn't be able to manage them.

But it was really shortsighted on Microsoft's part to assume that the PC is dead and everyone is going to be working on a pad or cell phone.

This isn't a suitable interface for a 27" PC monitor like mine, that doesn't have any touch capability.

Microsoft should have had a selection screen that opened on installation and asked "How are you going to use Windows 8?".

Then it should have asked,

Cell Phone?

Pad Computer?

PC?

Do you have a touch screen?

Once you have answered it should have proceeded with the install and provided an appropriate interface for the type of system used.

And the one for a PC would look a lot more like Windows 7 then like the Metro interface.

In short it should have provided an interface like Start 8 or Classic Shell does, on it's own.

The only saving grace it that the at least didn't block people for using these options.

Mike

I have said right along that there are very few apps from the app store that I want to use anyway. Eventually you might begin seeing good, usable apps that are actually productive.

I use the desktop most of the time myself.

Well a report back on if the drivers fixed my apparent connectivity problems... they don't seem to be as frequent, but the are still here. I had a app ..USA Today that just sat there wheeling away and no way to escape. putting the mouse in all four corners for fifteen seconds at a time and nothing, Control Alt Delete, again nothing, pressing escape, nothing.

And now the computer crashes every couple of hours and then when it restarts it says no CD and can't seem to find my SSD to boot. So I have to power down an boot from scratch, which does work.

I have done two complete virus scans and a boot scan with Avast Pro and no threats present.

In the old days I would have just wiped my drives and do a complete install. I don't like that option, it is not fun for me anymore. I find that terribly inconvenient. I have too many downloads that I would have to look up the accounts and passwords to down load the program or application and then get them all back up and running.... I feel like buying a Mac.

Pandaz, I'm not an Apple fan, but even I'M strongly considering Mac when my current computers need replaced. Windows 8 has been such a disappointment that even Vista was a better experience. I hate Windows 8 so much at this point I honestly don't want to give MSFT another penny, for anything ever again. Be interesting to see how much the Apple desktop/lap top market share grows in the next couple of years

Well a report back on if the drivers fixed my apparent connectivity problems... they don't seem to be as frequent, but the are still here. I had a app ..USA Today that just sat there wheeling away and no way to escape. putting the mouse in all four corners for fifteen seconds at a time and nothing, Control Alt Delete, again nothing, pressing escape, nothing.

And now the computer crashes every couple of hours and then when it restarts it says no CD and can't seem to find my SSD to boot. So I have to power down an boot from scratch, which does work.

I have done two complete virus scans and a boot scan with Avast Pro and no threats present.

In the old days I would have just wiped my drives and do a complete install. I don't like that option, it is not fun for me anymore. I find that terribly inconvenient. I have too many downloads that I would have to look up the accounts and passwords to down load the program or application and then get them all back up and running.... I feel like buying a Mac.

My Laptop works fine as does my other desktop. I think the basic problem is I downloaded this and dubbed over My Win 7 Ultimate. A "clean" Install seems to be what's needed, but then I lose all my data and programs. I don't want to do that. Yes I know I can back up data, but you can never seem to get it synced back in.

My second desktop was a "Clean install" but my laptop was also dubbed over Win7 Ultimate, so sometimes the download works.

My Laptop works fine as does my other desktop. I think the basic problem is I downloaded this and dubbed over My Win 7 Ultimate. A "clean" Install seems to be what's needed, but then I lose all my data and programs. I don't want to do that. Yes I know I can back up data, but you can never seem to get it synced back in.

Very easy. Put all your data on a separate partition using the approved method. Then when you custom install Win 8 and format the C Drive as a part of the Custom Install, the data is not touched at all. Then all you have to do is change the pointers in the new OS to the existing data partition using the same method and your all done. I have had a separate data partition beginning in XP and just used this method through Vista, Win 7, Win 8 betas (all versions) and now Win 8 Pro, on 2 PC's, without the loss of a single byte of data. Worked likes a charm.

I started using a Data partition back in XP too. It does make things much simpler. You still want a backup of the data incase of an accident like selecting the wrong partition!
Joe

Just a update, I am no longer blaming Win 8 for my woes, my main machine got worse and just as I was going to do some of the suggested items (And thank you for the suggestions) my computer quit and would not even post (You know the splash screen that asks if you want to get in the BIOS) so I figure I have had a hardware failure, the motherboard being the likely culprit and in descending order, the CPU, Memory and more remote possibilities the video card or power supply. I have ordered a new MB, CPU, and Memory and I have spares for the rest.... I'll get her going!

In all honesty, I would have preferred METRO to be second to desktop. As it is now where METRO is first, it is not something I would use at all. I would have preferred Microsoft to either give me the option to switch off METRO or to boot directly to desktop without having to go through METRO.

I personally have no affinity for METRO on a PC. METRO looks fine for tablets and phones but on a PC?

Have to agree with this. If I install a app or program it is a complete crap shoot if the Icon will be on Metro. Also Internet Explore 10 on Windows 8 is just sloooooow compared to Chrome or Firefox. Perfect example is FACEBOOK today when IE 10 took 8 seconds to open but Chrome 1 second and Firefox 2 seconds. I ran each one 5 times to see and that is the results. Lastly using full screen to put picture, text, or app is just so stupid. Looking at a 320x120 pic on a 23 inch monitor is just so crazy silly.

Back