Windows 7 ORDINAL NOT Found

wilhelm1

This is a problem that I created by doing something stupid. Like recovering my laptop with the recovery disks for my desktop. Now I am trying to recover my laptop. I have a message that says "ordinal 383 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll." (HKCMD.EXE)

When I go to bring up Internet Explorer, I get no action at all. I have installed all that I can but guess it is not good enough. How can I get the missing ordinal and where is it hiding? Also have gotten a msg that the Key is not correct but I am able to type in the correct key numbers.

P.S. What really is crazy, I tried a restore and somehow I am able to use the laptop as if nothing is wrong. The only thing that shows up is a message saying "this copy of Windows is not genuine".
As soon as I put in the key located on the bottom of the laptop, the message goes away but I can't open up windows.

Bottom Line:" When it should not work, it works ". "When it should work, it doesn't"

Last edited:
Your laptop should he a bootable recovery partition to give you a complete clean system. If you need help locating it and using it let us know the make and model of the laptop.

1. You could try to uninstall Explorer, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

2. If you have a legal copy, I would suggest to contact Microsoft. Have all your product etc. numbers at hand, and your computer running. They can correct practically everything via phone.

3. Trust your retailer / service. What can be done here is very limited. Computers are physical, the treatment too.

My laptop is a legal one. I purchased it at Best Buy in 2011 so I guess I can only go to Toshiba and get set of disks
As long as I don't type in the Product Key all works okay. Sort of have a Hybrid Toshiba/ZT animal...

Your laptop should he a bootable recovery partition to give you a complete clean system. If you need help locating it and using it let us know the make and model of the laptop.

Thanks Pat, I may take you up on your offer to walk me thru this problem. When I bought the LT I made a set of 5 discs. The only one that works is the 5th one that has all the spps. Had to install each one, no automatic install..

My LT is a Toshiba Satellite A665 S6050

I wish the manuf. would not be so cheap and supply recovery discs like they used to.

empty.gif

To try for a factory reset turn the laptop off then back on again. Repeatedly tap the F8 key. If until your laptop displays the "Advanced Boot Option Screen" then:

1. Select "Repair Your Computer".

2. On the System Recovery Options Screen select Restore Application and follow the on-screen instructions selecting on "Full Factory Recovery"out 15 minutes after which you should hopefully have a laptop completely returned to the state it was in when you bought it.

empty.gif

To try for a factory reset turn the laptop off then back on again. Repeatedly tap the F8 key. If until your laptop displays the "Advanced Boot Option Screen" then:

1. Select "Repair Your Computer".

2. On the System Recovery Options Screen select Restore Application and follow the on-screen instructions selecting on "Full Factory Recovery"out 15 minutes after which you should hopefully have a laptop completely returned to the state it was in when you bought it.

Looks like it worked. I am in a new status, need to get to normal mode, stuck in very basic operation.
Just burned a repair disc. in safe mode, is that okay?

Last edited:
Glad to hear you seem to have got it sorted.

Just burned a repair disc. in safe mode, is that okay?

Exactly what I'd recommend - I now recommend you burn a second copy and keep them in separate places - I'm a great believer in Sod's Law!

Is it just a repair disk you have burned? If so do you also have the option to burn a set of full recovery disks?

Glad to hear you seem to have got it sorted.

Exactly what I'd recommend - I now recommend you burn a second copy and keep them in separate places - I'm a great believer in Sod's Law!

Is it just a repair disk you have burned? If so do you also have the option to burn a set of full recovery disks?

Pat, don't know if I have the option to burn a full set. Have the discs but not sure of the know how. I still get the message that I am using a bogus windows copy. Will enter the right product key and see if it is okay after that. You got me on Sod's Law will look it up, thought I was up to speed on Murphy's law etc. Thanks for all your help

You should have a program called something like "recovery disk creator" - see if you can see it from the start menu.

Wikipedia definition of Sod's Law:

Sod's law is a name for the axiom that "if something can go wrong, it will", with the further addendum, in British culture, that it will happen at "the worst possible time". This may simply be construed, again in British culture, as "hope for the best, expect the worst"

Wikipedia definition of Sod's Law:

Sod's law is a name for the axiom that "if something can go wrong, it will", with the further addendum, in British culture, that it will happen at "the worst possible time". This may simply be construed, again in British culture, as "hope for the best, expect the worst"

Yep, doesn't matter which side of the "Pond" you are on it works both sides. LOL

Pat, I just did the "Acid Test". I got rid of the error msg "this copy of windows is not genuine". Everything is working well.
Thanks

Well, looks like I took the victory lap to soon. I am back to the old problem. Works with Google Chrome but not with Windows Explorer. I am done for now. A new laptop is looking better each day but I will try to get one with win7 not 8.

I just ordered this ::::
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Repair Recovery Restore Fix Boot Disk Disc CD - Works With All Make/Model PCs including HP, Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, ASUS

Will this fix my problem? But when I placed the order it said " it will not return the PC to original condition"

Nope not likely.
First determine which version of Windows 7 you actually have a product key for (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.,) as well as which bit version you have installed or maybe "should be installed.
Then go here http://techdows.com/2011/07/downloa...h-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html
And download that version's ISO.
Use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD at 4X speed.
Start your problem computer, put the DVD in and perform and inplace upgrade repair.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
Make a note of your Product Key from your COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) as you'll be prompted to enter it at some point during the upgrade / repair.
You will need to use the Microsoft Automated Phone System to activate it because you are using what amounts to a retail install media with an OEM Key, but it should work and things should be better.

Nope not likely.
First determine which version of Windows 7 you actually have a product key for (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.,) as well as which bit version you have installed or maybe "should be installed.
Then go here http://techdows.com/2011/07/downloa...h-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html
And download that version's ISO.
Use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD at 4X speed.
Start your problem computer, put the DVD in and perform and inplace upgrade repair.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
Make a note of your Product Key from your COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) as you'll be prompted to enter it at some point during the upgrade / repair.
You will need to use the Microsoft Automated Phone System to activate it because you are using what amounts to a retail install media with an OEM Key, but it should work and things should be better.

Sounds good, hope it works for me

Downloaded it and when all was said and done, I wound up with the same old problem. Going to buy a new unit, have spent way to much time trying to get this rig running. Thanks for your help. Bill

Well, I went and bought a new laptop with win 7. I tried Win 8 and under no circumstances would I even think of purchasing it.
Every time I moved my hand over the mouse bar, the screen triggered like a flip-flop on drugs. Now that I have my new LT, I am back in business and will have the time to try and fix the old one.

Okay, the one thing I am missing is a wifi connection on the laptop. (because I accidently used the restore disks from my desktop) How can I get a driver to install a wifi program? Win 7 64 bit

I am learning alot from you guys and gals on here Thanks.

We need information on the device.
Open device manager
select, then right click the problem device and choose properties
Click the details tab
Change the drop down to Hardware Ids
right click the value box and choose select all
right click again and choose copy.
Paste it into your next post or paste it into a text document and attach it.

Back