Windows 7 Password help on forums.

RAK

Extraordinary Member
This is not a lead into a flame war, and no criticism of members or site policy! I am just interested in members opinions.

I read, almost daily, requests for help with lost passwords. These are often worded (my son was ..and... or a friend of mine acidnetally.... etc. Latterly "my young son has been "playing" with the laptop, and the password has been lost" The OP often, unconciously gives a hint that this is not the full story. The last one I was following, the user actually outlined all the methods he had tried on the desktop, without success?? One wonders how he got there.

I am always willing to give general help, but will never get into ways to breach security. But, perhaps we should regard it as not our concern, and give all the help available. There are quite a few of us, I am sure, who do know how easy it is to bypass most of the security and, at the same time, the enquirer could probably google and get the same information.
I do wonder, however, if the (succesful) help is linked back to a site such as this, would there be any liablity or reaction from those associated with the enquiry, and have gone to lengths to secure their computer from other users?

I shouldn't think so RAK.. As you say, the information is freely available on the net (if you know where to look) and as much as we try to keep stuff like that to a minimum some is bound to remain in some 'hidden corner' somewhere..
I should imagine though that the powers that be are more concerned with piracy and fraud. And you certainly won't find anything like that on this site as soon as it's discovered it's then removed..
Good point though.. :)

I agree, I had a laptop that they password was lost on and I googled and found a workaround. People coming here could do the same. The method I recommend would reset the password, so if someone had their computer hacked they would know something was wrong because their old password would no longer work.

I don't think we should help such people.
Technically it's a form of hacking
What are we trying to do? Turn 10 year olds in HTML 2.0 hackers and get the forums blown up?

I'm reminded of what a Mell Brooks was asked what is the difference between humor and tragedy. He replied...
Humor is when a man falls into a manhole, tragedy is when I get a papercut.

I suppose if it's your data that is blocked it is a tragedy.

In keeping with the idea that a person is innocent until proven guilty, I don't see any reason to accuse somone of hacking if they say their password gets lost.

"In keeping with the idea that a person is innocent until proven guilty, I don't see any reason to accuse somone of hacking if they say their password gets lost. "

If this is a reference to Mitchells post, I assumed he referred to the offers of help, rather than to those who had lost their passwords?
During my day, I do get (very few) requests from individuals who have lost their passwords for different functions on their computers. I have no problems with visting and helping on this eyeball to eyeball level. The problem on the web is anonymity of the enquirer.

No, I'm simply saying there's a better forum for questions like these, especially considering they apply to EVERY operating system. I personally don't use passwords on my User Accounts or Wireless Networks because I have tracing tools to find the culprit if something isn't right.

A "trusted user" system or something like that would be nice ;)

For people who have problems with passwords, they should use the built-in windows feature "Create a password reset disk".

I think it's fine also, but I';m not going to give it to a person with one post

They need to have established reputation here.

I think it's fine also, but I';m not going to give it to a person with one post

They need to have established reputation here.

I agree with Reghakr on that count plus I think it should be pretty obvious (I hope) to forum regulars if someone is trying to pull a fast one..

Back