Windows 10 Phantom F Drive??

SteveSkal

I have a brand new clean install of Windows 10 Pro, I had recently installed Office 2019 from an ISO which was downloaded to the download folder, I installed from it's current location and all went well, activated product etc. Next time I went into "My PC" I saw my C drive (SSD), my D drive (extra HDD). E drive (optical drive), then there was an F drive with the Office logo on it, so the ISO created a virtual drive upon installation. So I had right clicked on the F drive and clicked eject to see what would happen and the drive disappeared, HOWEVER when I put in a USB thumb drive it designates it as G drive still, so somewhere Windows is still seeing this F drive but it shows NOWHERE?? How do I get rid of this phantom F drive? I tried one thing I found online and did something in the CMD prompt called mountvol. but that did nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Its because you mounted the ISO. This creates a virtual CD/DVD drive. Right click the "drive" and select Eject to unmount it.

It because you mounted the ISO. This creates a virtual CD/DVD drive. Right click the "drive" and select Eject to unmount it.

Ah you didn’t read my whole post. I did that and the “Drive” disappeared but the F drive is stored in Windows somewhere because any new device hooked up gets a G designation . How do I totally get rid of that F drive??

They typically reuse the same letter unless you mounted two at the same time. Then you'd likely need to clean the mount points from the registry.

You could also simply go into Disk Management and change the drive letter. They are just logical assignments so it doesn't really matter what letter is assigned.

Back