Windows 7 PIO mode for CD\DVD-drive in Windows 7

Darkmoon Dragon

Good time of the day for everybody!:)

Here is my problem:
I've got PIO mode for my DVD-drive. Even when I try to change it by checking "Enable DMA" in Device Manager - nothing happens, still in the PIO 4 mode.
Motherboard: ASUS M2R32-MVP
CD\DVD-drive: ASUS DRW-1814BLT SATA

Latest drivers from AMD for southbridge were tried, and still nothing. I've played with BIOS settings, reconnected SATA devices to another ports (like russian roulette:) ) - PIO again. Maybe Windows 7 wants PATA DVD-drive?:)
P.S. Both of my HDD SATA drives works in UDMA-6, so here is all fine.

The indication of PIO or UDMA really doesn't mean anything for SATA devices. They operate at the prescribed SATA speeds. Those indications are IDE remnants. UDMA 6 is 133Mb/s BTW and SATA has the capability to do 150Mb/s or 300Mb/s depending on the drive and controller.

Pbcopter, thanks for answer, but looks like my dvd-drive is dead. Just because I tested copying DVDs and installing programs on another dvd-drive (IDE), and all was quick and fine, music playback was not interrupted during copying (on my dvd-drive is was really PIO (processor(programmed) input-output) mode, it could be seen on the reaction and hangs of operating system during copying\writing cd\dvd discs).
Maybe it is motherboard problem, of course, but I haven't another SATA dvd-drive to test. (HDD works fine on the same SATA controller).
By the way (IMHO) - PIO and DMA modes are belong to ATA interface. SATA is a new generation of ATA interface (ATA\ATAPI 7) - so, why SATA-device couldn't be in PIO?:)

Back