Windows 7 Please Help! Can't connect to internet, possibly driver broken after update

If within the Computer/MotherBoard Utility BIOS (which by the way is completely independent from Windows or any other operating system) you are not seeing what you would expect to see (I really can't say what should be present as far as information there is concerned, since all are different) then it is reasonable to believe that Windows 7 or any other operating system will not have the information it needs at run time to enumerate that piece of hardware.
I suggested initially perhaps borrowing one from a friend, neighbor or family member before actually purchasing it. Or take the laptop to where ever you intend to purchase the device from and make sure that they can make it work in Windows 7 before you spend your hard earned cash for another device that you may have trouble with. Thats what the Geek Squad is for if you have a Best Buy handy, generally they will do the install for free if you purchase the device from them. It's worth asking anyway.
Try to use the windows hardware compatability list to help you decide what you should purchase.
Not sure what if any actual help I've provided, but thanks for the kind words and you're of course very welcome. I only wish our efforts could have been more fruitful.
Good Luck
Randy

Last edited:
What should I do with my Windows.old folder now that I have upgraded? I performed a back up and have those files on my Western Digital Passport 320gig. I have yet to retreive them. But I don't know if that back up keeps more important stuff that the Windows.old might have.

What should I do with my Windows.old folder now that I have upgraded? I performed a back up and have those files on my Western Digital Passport 320gig. I have yet to retreive them. But I don't know if that back up keeps more important stuff that the Windows.old might have.

What did you use to backup?

Was it a full or incremental backup?

etc. If I were you and there were important data files I would make sure before deleting the windows.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard

ken J

Then I would suggest even more emphasis be placed on ZigZag3143's post above and preserve the windows.old folder until such time as you can confirm the viability of your backup, since I have read several posts on this forum and elsewhere expressing less than favorable opinions of WD's SmartWare.

Back