Windows 8 Please "Wifi adapter doesn't have valid IP configuration" Help needed. I'm lost

mjh

Although connected to the wifi, the access to internet is limited (none). I have tried everything people suggest on the forums. I'm on Windows 8 (lenovo yoga notebook)
when typing ipconfig it looks like this:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . . : fe80::e1e4:1d69:5de0:346f%3
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . . : 169.254.52.111
Subnet Mask . . . . .. . . . .: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . :

Please, help. It is very urgent.
I'll be forever grateful
Thanks

I tried to reset the wifi adapter, reset the ip protocol (somehow) through the cmd window. I installed updates for the Intel wifi adapter. tried to set the IP configurations manually several times... The only thing I haven't tried is reseting the modems as it is a school wifi. And yes, between it I restarted my computer at least six times. So far absolutely unsuccessful.

Last edited:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . . : fe80::e1e4:1d69:5de0:346f%3
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . . : 169.254.52.111
Subnet Mask . . . . .. . . . .: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . :

You have no link to a dns and can't talk to the dhcp server (it gives out the address numbers) so your network shows 169 = nothing there.

the modems as it is a school wifi.

Does this school use a Proxy server... VERY out dated ip4 network setup used in the 1900's before internet moved out of dial up phone ranges... your laptop network shows as using ip6 (as all systems after w7 do) but the school may need a kick up the bum to wake up and join the rest of us here in the 21st century.

is there any way I can connect to the dns? insert something manually or somehow "update" my ip4 so it fits the prehistoric environment? (art schools, you know)

If you don't have dhcp then there is little point looking for dns settings... if we are working with a proxy server you will need to ask the school for the ip address needed eg, 172.168.88.20 and there should be some sort of tech help desk...

...as for upgrading ip4 no but you can temp disable your ip6 by right clicking the network icon for your wifi and unticking the ip6 checkbox... it's always under properites.
Screenshot (9).png

That may be what the school wants to get to the net but of course most art programs like Adobe (anything) assume ip6 to talk to their systems so it's offen catch 22.

I know you say you've tried lots but please also post us a network ipconfig /all and a basic ping test;
[windows key]+ [r] type "cmd" press [enter] (without quotes)
type "ipconfig /all" press [enter] (without quotes)
Screenshot (10).png

ping test;
ping google.com [enter]
ping first three sets of numbers you get back (eg 216.58.220) [enter]
nslookup [enter]
google.com [enter]... take screenshot

Screenshot (11).png

if you have no internet at school but do at home that still tells us if the issue is only at school or something in your system as well.

after entering inconfig/all into the cmd window it says: "inconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

and after ping it says: ping request could not find host google.com. please check the name and try again

what does that mean? i have internet at home and it works perfectly. also other places (library etc). and it worked in here for two months. then aprox a week ago this happened. but after restarting it was alright. no nothing seem to work
and btw. than you so much for all that help!

but after restarting it was alright
A proxy system doesn't like people sitting on the network when you don't do anything...
my first guess is it's kicking you off... does turning the laptop off and then rebooting windows reset it?

Sorry. my bad! Typo.
inconfig comes with this:

Wireless LAN adapter
Media State . . .: Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . .: Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
Physical Address . . . : 5E-C5-D4-49-CC-B2
DHCP Enabled . . . .: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . : Yes

Blootooth: bla bla

Wireless LAN adapter connection to network 2:

Description . . . . . . .: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter

Description . . : intel(R) Wireles-N 7260
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . : 169.254.52.111(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip . . . . : Enabled

Then there is the Tunnel adapter satap
with description . . .: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
Physical Address all zeros
and DHCP Enabled .. . . . : No
Autofiguration Enabled . . . : Yes

I even tried reboot the windows from an older date... that didn't help
Do you think shutting it down for a longer time could do the trick?

Wireless LAN adapter
Description . . . . . . .: Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter

This bit is fine...

Wireless LAN adapter connection to network 2:

snip...

snip...

You should not have two but that in itself shouldn't cause this issue... can I please see your netplace?;
in W8 open explorer and type "ncpa.cpl"... like th image below
Screenshot (249).png

this should open it
Screenshot (250).png

You said you have internet at home right... so please do the ipconfig /all and ping test there as you need to see dns settings (really a screenshot is better than typing it out.)

I even tried reboot the windows from an older date... that didn't help
A system restore?... no that wouldn't have helped, did this school run some kind of script program on your system before when this worked and then you installed a new browser like facebook, skype, GOG Galaxy or chrome?

Back
Top Bottom