Windows 7 Pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit UPGRADE to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit?

JohnnyGlock

Hi guys, I emailed Microsoft support this question and got a useless answer back; they just sent me a link to download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which basically told me what I already knew (that my system is capable of running Windows 7).

So I called them just now and the so-called "tech support" person wasn't much of a help either, she didn't seem too bright and didn't know much about the whole upgrade process, giving me conflicting information. So, I hope someone on here can answer this for me.

I recently bought a new laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Then I found out that Home Premium does not have "XP Mode" capability, so I used the Student Discount offer to buy Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (full version not upgrade) from Microsoft's website for $29.99 (what a bargain!).

Can anyone tell me FOR SURE, whether I can do just an upgrade (where all my manufacturer's pre-installed applications, drivers, and all my currently installed applications are preserved) or if I MUST do a clean install (reinstalling all of these applications, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I emailed Microsoft support this question and got a useless answer back; they just sent me a link to download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which basically told me what I already knew (that my system is capable of running Windows 7).

So I called them just now and the so-called "tech support" person wasn't much of a help either, she didn't seem too bright and didn't know much about the whole upgrade process, giving me conflicting information. So, I hope someone on here can answer this for me.

I recently bought a new laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Then I found out that Home Premium does not have "XP Mode" capability, so I used the Student Discount offer to buy Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (full version not upgrade) from Microsoft's website for $29.99 (what a bargain!).

Can anyone tell me FOR SURE, whether I can do just an upgrade (where all my manufacturer's pre-installed applications, drivers, and all my currently installed applications are preserved) or if I MUST do a clean install (reinstalling all of these applications, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!
Boot to your Win7 Professional 64-bit disk. If you have the option available to upgrade, you can. If you don't have that option, you can make your current Win7 Home Premium "look like" Win7 Professional which will certainly allow the upgrade. Do a little search on "changing windows 7 versions" and I'm sure you can find the necessary registry changes. (Sorry, I don't publish links to hacks.)

Back