Windows 7 windows 7 professional 64 bit sound problem

hfjg333

windows 7 professional 64 bit sp 1 has sound problems.its sound was ok.but now its not working.
Name, Value
Operating System
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
License Information: Admin
*REMOVED*
Language: English (United Kingdom) , ID: $0809

Common Devices
System Name: Extensa 5220
Processor Name: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 540 @ 1.86GHz
BIOS Name: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Video card Name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Video card Name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Installed Memory: 2.00 GB
Default Printer: Send To OneNote 2010
Name, Value
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Acer
Product: Columbia
Version: Rev
Serial Number: LXE870Y139750100432000
Ports: 0
Slots: 8

BIOS Details
Name: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version: V1.25
Copyright: ACRSYS - 6040000
Date: 29/11/2007
Size: 1,024 KB

Ports
No items found

System Slots
PCI Slot J8B3: Unknown
PCI Slot S9B1: Unknown
PEG Slot J6B2: Available
PCI Express Slot J6B1: In Use
PCI Express Slot J6D1: In Use
PCI Express Slot J8B4: Available
PCI Express Slot J8D1: Available
PCI Express Slot J7B1: Unknown
Name, Value, Advanced
USB Devices
No items found

Bluetooth Devices
No items found

Infrared Devices
IrDA Fast Infrared Port: FIR (fast infrared), National Semiconductor

Printers
Send To OneNote 2010: nul: Default
Microsoft XPS Document Writer: XPSPort:
Fax: SHRFAX: RawOnly

Audio Devices
High Definition Audio Device: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0268&SUBSYS_1025011F&REV_1000\4&293C1A97&0&0001, Microsoft
any help would be highly appreciated.
Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'v edited your post to remove your product ID and key, be careful when posting information online!

"High Definition Audio Device" is the default MS driver installed if no other one is readily available. The Extensa 5220 uses Realtek drivers. The latest available on the Acer site are for Windows Vista so I'll point you here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false check off that you accept and the select the UK download server for either the 64 or 32 bit version of the driver for Windows 7. If you're unsure which your computer needs, you can check your architecture be typing "system" in the start menu and opening the control panel result. Here it will tell you if your version is 32 or 64 bit.

Last edited:
there are various links but no download links. i have clicked several times on download button but no download links. Regards.

Click "I accept to the above" and you'll be presented with this:
Untitled.png

Select a server for based on your locations (closest one will download fastest).

Is this Acer a desktop or a laptop? If it's a laptop, and downloading the new Realtek HD Audio drivers doesn't fix the problem, I'd suspect the hard drive. *still likely even if it's a desktop*. This computer will be 6 years old, and regardless of being a laptop or desktop, most hard drives fail between 3-5 yrs. :(

After backing up all your personal information to an external hard drive or CD/DVD discs, I would try to reinstall Windows from either the built-in System Recovery Partition or from Recovery Disks you received when you purchased the computer. You can also test the hard drive prior to doing this by downloading this utility: GSmartControl - Download

If the sound problem still occurs after the Windows reinstall, definitely suspect the hard drive. +o( You may wish to take to your local computer expert for further help.

I can tell you that a customer brought me her Acer laptop just last week and it got hung up while trying to install the latest SP1 (Service Pack 1) update being pushed out by Microsoft during the last couple of weeks. After extensive diagnosis, her hard drive turned out to be bad and I have ordered a replacement. Coincidentally, my Customer had mentioned to me that she heard really weird bouncy tones coming from the speakers whenever Windows logged in after boot up, and I too heard this while testing. Really bizarre frequent video freezes and weird audio problems are often associated with failing hard drives. (her system is 3-1/2 yrs. old; 9/2009 and is right in the middle of the 3-5 yr. failure bell curve). This is of course once you've eliminated driver-related issues as discussed above, and you are sure you have the correct ones downloaded from the Manufacturer's web site etc.

If you do reinstall Windows, and it corrects your audio problem, please let us know! If however, you replace the hard drive and you still are getting audio problems, it could be the sound chip on your Motherboard and you are looking at a much more expensive repair. This is rare, but not unheard of. I've found at least 2 Motherboards with faulty sound chips on them in the last year alone. Both of those Customers chose not to replace the Motherboard due to the parts cost, and replaced with new laptops. Laptops, whose hard drives survive over 5 yrs., are a ticking time bomb--I'll say it again--make sure all your data is backed up!

Best of luck.

BIGBEARJEDI :computer:

Mitchell is right, first thing to do is check the drivers.

Some things you might have overlooked:
i) Right click on the speaker icon in your taskbar, go to playback devices, check that you haven't accidentally set a different output to default (e.g. on my PC I have another option for Digital Output, but since no such output is configured, the sound simply stops working).

ii) Click on properties of your main playback device, and make sure it's enabled.

iii) Open services.msc, be sure that Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder are started and set to automatic.

iv) You might have disabled Realtek HD Audio from starting under msconfig. Usually this isn't an issue, but I once had an issue where the sound wouldn't work if the driver's start-up program wasn't enabled.

Unless you notice other strange performance issues, corrupted files or frequent spin-up delay, I'd be reluctant to suspect general hard drive failure for such a specific issue.

The driver I pointed to in my first post is the latest Realtek driver for the hardware ID which was in the OP.

Back