Windows 7 Prevent Hardware Drivers From Being Listed in Windows Update

When the update shows, you should be given the option "Do not show this update"

Somewhere like "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update"

There is an option on the System panel, Advanced System Settings, Hardware tab-Device Installation Settings..to adjust what is done with device drivers. It does not break our specific devices, you would have to do that as Titanic mentions.

There is an option on the System panel, Advanced System Settings, Hardware tab-Device Installation Settings..to adjust what is done with device drivers.

Yeah, that's already set to 'never install', and I know how to hide updates one at a time (as they appear), but I need a way to stop them from ever appearing in the first place. Why doesn't Windows Update have a separate column for hardware drivers, instead of dispersing them through 'recommended' and 'critical' etc.

The problem is I have a user who doesn't know the difference between a driver update and normal windows/security updates. They end up installing every driver that it puts on the Windows Updates list, and this sometimes causes problems. I want hardware drivers to be updated manually, and only when there is a good reason to do so, not just whenever Windows thinks it's found a better driver.

I just want hardware driver updates of any type to be excluded from Windows Update and never show up on the list in the first place.

If it would be helpful, you might uncheck the "Allow All Users to install Updates". If the other user is an Admin type, it may not help...

Back