Windows 7 Printer Driver for Network Printer

micpfeifer

We have just added our first Windows 7 pc to our XP network. I would like to connect to the Windows 7 PC to a shared "Epson lq-590" printer on one of the XP machines. According to the Epson website the only drivers available for this printer are through Windows 7 update in the "add a printer wizard". If the printer is directly attached to the Windows 7 PC the driver installation via "add a printer wizard" works without a hitch. When trying to add the printer over the network the Windows 7 "add a printer wizard" cannot find the driver for the printer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Try this and see if it works;
Open Devices and Printers
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select your printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) if you've already had the epson attached and installed on the Windows 7 machine, this step should work for you.
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer. Unfortunately if epson doesn't provide any Windows 7 drivers this step will not work for you.
Keep us posted.

Re: It worked!

I cant connect Epson lq-590 on windows 7 64 bit, through network, the printer is connect with another system on network, on which windows xp is installed. i followed the upper steps, but cant get it.. will you please help...

thanks -- this worked (printing from a Windows 7 64-bit machine to a shared Epson LQ-1050 printer hosted on an XP machine) :)

Back