Windows 7 Printer stopped printing, get Error message "error - printing"

lewbethesda

System is HP desktop running W7-64 bit. Printer is HP Photosmart 7350, old but working perfectly until 2 days ago. Driver is Deskjet 5550 (closest one for this printer).

I've reinstalled the driver, plugged and unplugged the printer, and tried to print from different programs. As soon as the print button is selected the error condition shows in the Devices & Printers section. This happens whether the printer is turned on or not.

What can I do to get the printer running again?

TIA.

Maybe get it new sneakers? sorry... but, sounds like you've tried this or that, already. Any chance maybe the old thing just died of natural causes?

Try deleting/removing the printer from Printers & Devices. Fully remove all it's software & drivers and then start over again to install. HP are notorious for not offering current drivers. The good thing is printers are dirt cheap these days.

Drew

You might also try stopping and starting the Print Spooler. The link shows how to do this an clean the print queue, although I show nothing in the folder to delete. You can copy and paste in a command window.

What Drew is suggesting should also clean out the Queue, but this would not hurt.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Do you show any drivers being loaded through Windows Update for the printer?

Also notice, if you have not, there are two properties options in the context menu. The middle one in the context menu is the Admin option.

Back