Windows 7 problem with external hd

aussurucq

i have a P4V800-x Asus motherboard and i added an external hd with 1.5 terabytes, which is plugged thru a normal 2.0 USB, and has also normal electrical feed thru a source, plugged to wall outlet

when the computer is switched off and i boot it to begin normal operation, having this external hd plugged to the USB, the computer doesnt boot, it seems to be something related to the bios, since it stops at the motherboard page, not even beginning the windows

what's happening?, which is the problem?, could the external hd prevent the computer from booting because of its big capacity?

then i unplug the external hd, i boot the computer normally, and after being running normally, i plug the external hd and everything goes on without any trouble, it appears as a 2nd hd in 'C\', i save files transferring to the external hd, i copy files from the external hd into the computer, all as it normally is

cheers

Have you looked at the boot options in the BIOS?
boot>boot settings>boot device-->boot settings configurations>[drop-down menu]:

function current status description

quick boot enabled allows bios to skip certain tests
while booting decreases time
needed to boot
full screen logo enabled disabled: displays POST msgs
enabled: displays OEM logo instead
addOn rom display mode force bios set display mode for option rom
bootup num-lock on select power-on state for num-lock
wait for F1 if error enabled wait for F1 key to be pressed if
error occurs
hit 'del' msg display enabled displays 'press del to run setup'
in POST
interrupt 19 capture disabled enabled: allows option roms to trap
interrupt 19, this is required by
some PCI cards that provide rom
based setup utility

now please, what's your suggestion?
thx much in advance

please apologize, i typed columns but they mixed

see again below, i typed in columns, but they were mixed up

boot>boot settings>boot device-->boot settings configurations>[drop-down menu]:

function; current status; description

quick boot; enabled; allows bios to skip certain tests
while booting decreases time
needed to boot

full screen logo; enabled; disabled: displays POST msgs
enabled: displays OEM logo instead

addOn rom display mode; force bios; set display mode for option rom

bootup num-lock; on; select power-on state for num-lock

wait for F1 if error; enabled; wait for F1 key to be pressed if
error occurs

hit 'del' msg display; enabled; displays 'press del to run setup'
in POST

interrupt 19 capture; disabled; enabled: allows option roms to trap
interrupt 19, this is required by some PCI cards that provide rom
based setup utility

now please, what's your suggestion?
thx much in advance

then i unplug the external hd, i boot the computer normally, and after being running normally, i plug the external hd and everything goes on without any trouble, it appears as a 2nd hd in 'C\', i save files transferring to the external hd, i copy files from the external hd into the computer, all as it normally is

cheers

I probably cannot be much help with your problem, but I will make this one observation. You should not have a second HDD labeled "C:". Perhaps this is your whole problem. If the bios sees two "C" drives when booting, it may stop because you should not have two "C" drives and it doesn't know which to boot from. I would suggest that you follow normal boot procedure with the external drive disconnected, then connect the external drive and assign a different available drive letter to it. (right click "Computer">left click "Manage">left click "Disk Management">right click the external drive listing>left click "change drive letter and path") You will have a list of available drive letters, just pick one that you like and change it.

Hope this tidbit may help you get things working smoothly.

Last edited:
Back