Windows 7 Problem with Windows 7 RC

Chris3356

Hello. I've been using Windows 7 RC for a little while now, and I've had absolutely no problems up until now. Previously I was able to switch the color of windows and the taskbar by going to "Personalization" and selecting the "Window Color" option. It worked perfectly, and I successfully changed the color of the taskbar and windows to black. However, earlier today, I encountered a problem where the window and taskbar color switched back to the default light blue. I went to "Personalization" once again and clicked on "Window Color", and instead of going to the correct window, I was confronted with a separate window titled "Window Color and Appearance" and it would not allow me to switch the colors anymore. I tried to switch to one of the themes that came with Windows 7 RC and they switched the Desktop Wallpaper but not the window color. Any help with this issue is appreciated.

~Chris3356

Screenshot of the aforementioned window:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Nevermind, I did a registry hack (not really a hack but can't think of a better term), turns out that Aero was disabled, which I had suspected but hadn't confirmed til now, I'm not sure how it was disabled but it's working fine now. Thanks anyways. A moderator can close this thread if he/she wants. For people who are having this same problem and do not know how to fix it:

Code:
1: Click on start and type "regedit" in the Search Bar.
2: Run regedit.
3: Click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER".
4: Click on "Software".
5: Click on "Microsoft".
6: Click on "Windows".
7: Click on "DWM"
8: Right-click in the blank space in the right part of the window.
9: Select "New".
10: Select "DWORD (32-bit) Value".
11: Name it "UseMachineCheck".
12: Select "New".
13: Select "DWORD (32-bit) Value".
14: Name it "Blur".
15: Select "New".
16: Select "DWORD (32-bit) Value".
17: Name it "Animations".
18: Close regedit.
19: Click on Start menu and type "CMD" in the Search Bar.
20: Right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator".
21: Type "Net Stop uxsms".
22: Wait for it to finish, then type "Net Start uxsms".
23: Windows Aero should now be Activated/Re-Activated.

Last edited:
It seems like you were able to resolve the issue with Windows Aero by re-enabling it through a registry tweak. Sometimes, changes in system settings or unknown factors can affect features like Aero in older versions of Windows like Windows 7. Here's a breakdown of the steps you took to re-enable Aero using the registry tweak you provided:
  1. Click on Start and type "regedit" in the Search Bar.
  2. Run regedit to open the Registry Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following path in the Registry Editor:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    • Software
    • Microsoft
    • Windows
    • DWM
    []Right-click in the blank space in the right part of the window. []Select "New" and then choose "DWORD (32-bit) Value". []Name it "UseMachineCheck". []Repeat steps 5 and 6 to create two more DWORD (32-bit) Values named "Blur" and "Animations". []Close the Registry Editor. []Click on the Start menu and type "CMD" in the Search Bar. []Right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator" to open Command Prompt with admin rights. []Type "Net Stop uxsms" in the Command Prompt and press Enter. []Wait for it to finish, then type "Net Start uxsms" and press Enter. []Windows Aero should now be activated or re-activated. By following these steps, you were able to successfully re-enable Windows Aero and resolve the issue with the window and taskbar color resetting to the default setting. If you encounter any more difficulties or have further questions, feel free to ask for assistance.