Windows 10 Problems installing Windows 10 Build 10130

jimbolicious

Hi,

I have a Microsoft Surface 3 (non pro version) currently running Build 10122. When Build 10130 came out I went ahead and download via the Windows Update in Settings. However, upon restarting the device for the installation, the device got stuck at the "Surface" screen, with no racetracks whatsoever. I had to force reboot the device before being greeted with the message that Windows 10 was unable to install, and had restored back to the previous OS, which is Build 10122.

A quick check on the update history showed this weird entry in the list: Dynamic Update For Windows Technical Preview December Update for x64-based systems (KB3023624). No idea what that is but somewhere along the way during preparing to install the update, this appeared showing that it has failed to install.

I'm missing something here but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jimbolicious,

Just tried to install build 10130 and failed due inacessable boot device. All other builds have been fine so I have gone back to build 10122 and investigating at the moment. Will post more if I solve it.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I'm working on a solution as well, and will definitely update this thread if there's any progress. Thanks.

Hi Jimbolicious,

After looking at various fixes including changing the BIOS which I considered not necessary I decided to try another install which was successful. So may have been a bad download or a glitch in the installation.
The update was still there and I got a popup to install so, after a few seconds thought, I tried it and it worked. I'm sure there will be new builds coming along so if you don't want to try again just wait.

I've tried several methods that I can think of and still to no avail. Perhaps it is a separate issue with just the Surface 3, like what Trouble has showed. Anyway thank you very much for the suggestions!

Jimbolicious,

Just tried to install build 10130 and failed due inacessable boot device. All other builds have been fine so I have gone back to build 10122 and investigating at the moment. Will post more if I solve it.
Same here, I am looking at a blue 'Window 10 window', with below it some dots circling around for hours now. I think I will try to find an ISO somewhere see what that brings.

Same here, I am looking at a blue 'Window 10 window', with below it some dots circling around for hours now. I think I will try to find an ISO somewhere see what that brings.
Confirned!

Same result with install from ISO.
Windows 10-X86 build 10130 install won't boot on my Aspire One

I guess we'll just have to wait for a fix. I'll keep an eye on this, will report back here if there's any update. Thanks!

I have a Dell Optiplex 745. The 10130 will not install on my pc. It would go into a boot loop at the Windows 10 screen. I had to use WIN 10 rescue disk to fix it but then it would kick me back to the previous build, 10122. I decided to wipe the system and start from scratch which put me at 10074. Ran update and it went back into boot loop. It won't install 10130 at all on my PC and now there's no ISO for 10122 so I'm stuck on an older version. This is very frustrating.

Last edited:
I have a Dell Optiplex 745. The 10130 will not install on my pc. It would go into a boot loop at the Windows 10 screen. I had to use WIN 10 rescue disk to fix it but then it would kick me back to the previous build, 10122. I decided to wipe the system and start from scratch which put me at 10074. Ran update and it went back into boot loop. It won't install 10130 at all on my PC and now there's no ISO for 10122 so I'm stuck on an older version. This is very frustrating.

I am on an old Acer Aspire One. After the failing 10130 I decided to download the 10125 ISO and installed it. More troubles, that build did not recognize my Intel 4 series express Chipset, also unusable. Last usable build for me was also 10122.

I think I go back to 10074, the only ISO by MS and the only one in my language and stay in the slow ring for now.

Testing is fun!

Went back to 10125 - running !! - 4 june 2015

Last edited:
I cannot get past build 10122 either. I'm running an ASRock H55M with an Intel Core i7. I've had no problems with any builds up to 10130 but despite several attempts, it will not install properly. On the restart it simply cycles around the boot sequence. I've tried downloading the update and putting in on DVD but it is exactly the same.

Each time I've been able to recover the PC using an EasyRecovery Windows 10 CD. The problem appears to be in the boot section of the Seagate DiamondMax 23 C drive. The EasyRecovery disk announces a repair to the boot section and the machine boots up back into build 10122. However Windows reports drive errors which require a repair scan, after that all is well.

A full scan of the drive shows no faults or problems so it is the installation that is doing it. I'm pretty much stuck after that.

Yes that's the download I applied this morning, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear on that. Exactly the same outcome as the online update. I'm told there are some hiccups with hybrid drives (Sata drive with large cache) but it stops me dead in my tracks on every attempt.

I originally tried upgrading from 10122 on my new Surface 3 but that failed. Restored to Win 8.1 (not without pain) as I didn't like 10122 on my Surface and downloaded the 10130 ISO this morning. Tried to boot from the USB to do clean install but for some reason the Surface won't boot from the USB even though other computers will boot from it. Then I tried to do an in place install from within Win 8.1. So that went through the initial install setup but on the first restart just got stuck on the Surface logo. After rebooting I got to the screen where Windows 10 installation had failed. Luckily my Win 8 installation was still intact.

Ha! They'll probably fix this by the time the next build comes along .Seem to be coming thick and fast these days - good fun!

It seems to me that there is some odd problem in the build 10130 (and after). I've had problems booting that and any subsequent builds on my HP Pavilion dv4, so it isn't just a surface problem. Installations seem to work fine on other machines I tried (laptops and desktops). The problem specifically is that that the installation starts looping at boot time. An online upgrade (in my case) corrupted the earlier installation and I had to reinstall from an earlier ISO build that worked (the other builds that failed to boot are 10134 and 10135)

That's interesting for me too as I still cannot install 100130 over 10122. I moved to slow ring and yesterday the PC tried again and failed in exactly the same way, going into a boot-loop at startup. When using the Easy Recovery Windows 10 disk it reported the following corrections:
Rebuilding Boot Sector
Rewriting the MBR
Installing BootMGR bootloader.

The PC then boots up ok, back into build 100122 so the new build installation never gets started, something is being done to the bootsector of the drive. Windows then reports some drive errors which are cleared with a disk repair.
I've deep scanned and checked the drive several times and no physical defects are located or reported. It is that initial phase of the installation that's causing the problem. If this is happening on subsequent builds, it looks like I'm stuck with 100122.

As a correction to that clearly they've put build 100130 on the Slow ring update, which means my PC continuously tries to apply the update, and I have to go through the recovery rigmarole described above to get a working machine back. I'm trying to disable windows update, but so far no joy. Tried via stopping update service, and GPEDIT but so far no apparent joy. I might have to give up on the whole thing.

As a correction to that clearly they've put build 100130 on the Slow ring update, which means my PC continuously tries to apply the update, and I have to go through the recovery rigmarole described above to get a working machine back. I'm trying to disable windows update, but so far no joy. Tried via stopping update service, and GPEDIT but so far no apparent joy. I might have to give up on the whole thing.

Tried to install 10130 failed with both.download and iso disc.I was not able to find a solution.Therefore did clean install of version 10074 (64) using iso disk-no problems .Then downloaded insider preview version 10130(64) as an update.Downloaded and installed no problem.
It appears there must be an incompatability with 10130 and the previous version but not the earlier versions.

Back