Windows 7 Problems with shortcuts? help please

myzh00

Recently have been facing some issues with the shortcuts on desktop as well as quick launch, and some from the start menu.
clicking these shortcuts, triggers the cursor to load briefly, but nothing happens.
therefore, in order for me to run these programs i have to 'run as administrator', is there an alternative way to fix it?

UPDATE:
shortcuts that are unable to load so far, are mostly related to the internet, for example, windows live messenger, firefox, chrome, safari....except ie

only recent installation: windows update; microsoft live essentials 2011

anyone know whats the problem?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

You can always have a program open as an admin by right clicking the shortcut\properties\Compatibility and checking "Run this program as and administrator". But you shouldn't have to do this with the programs you mentioned. Let me ask you, do the shortcuts have appropriate icons (Like Firefox should be an orange globe) or are their icon's like an unknown (broken) shortcut?

You could try to do a system restore to before the problem occurred and then installing the Windows update and MSE again.

Thanks for the reply...

First of, icons for shortcuts are the correct ones, checked those on another pc, tried the system restore to before the update, but still the same. 'problem only arise after the update.'

the problem is...i do not want to run these programs as admin. with the UAC popping up every single time i open the program. and when i finally open google chrome, multiple processes of chrome.exe is listed in task manager, (doubt its normal). eg. only 1 chrome window is open, but there are over 10 such processes listed

and when i finally open google chrome, multiple processes of chrome.exe is listed in task manager, (doubt its normal).

Like you say, when you "finally" open... you must have clicked on the icon several times, thus opening multiple processes.

Let's tackle this one at a time. First, let's rule out software problems by trying one of them. Uninstall Google Crome completely, restart and install it again. Tell me if the Google Crome desktop icon returns to normal functionality. We will go from there.

sorry, used wrong term, i only clicked chrome once by running it as admin. halfway through the window was not responding, therefore proceeded to task manager where i realised the multiple processes.

ok. but if i reinstall chrome, would my current bookmarks be erased?

Last edited:
heeded your advice to reinstall chrome, but sadly, after exporting the bookmarks and uninstalling it. i am unable to reinstall it....the installer keeps giving me an error 0x000000xc (something like that, didn't copy the exact form). will keep trying though

ok so i ran the system file checker, nothing came up. and im still getting the error from chrome installer. any other suggestions?

If Chrome is not installed check to see if this file is there and delete it:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

Then try to install it again.

If Chrome is not installed check to see if this file is there and delete it:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

Then try to install it again.

hmm... under google is only CrashReports, Custom Buttons and Update, all of which are empty folders

Back
Top Bottom