Windows 7 Problems with sound & WMP12

dave 01

Ever since I installed the new Windows 7 upgrade, my laptop speakers won't play a thing, ever. Yet if I plug headphones in, I get sound coming out of the headphones.

Also, whenever I try and play anything in Windows Media Player, it comes up with a message saying "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file." If I click on the web help link, it gives a code "Windows Media Player C00D11B1 Windows Media Player can't play the file."

If anyone can help suggest how to fix these problems that would be much appreciated, thanks.

What kind of headphones are you using, USB?

If you right click the speaker icon and select playback devices, do you show speakers with a green check mark?

What kind of headphones are you using, USB?

If you right click the speaker icon and select playback devices, do you show speakers with a green check mark?

My headphones plug into the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. It does show a green check on the speakers in playback devices. It says it's using IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. But if i right click that icon (the speakers with the green check) and select test, it says 'Failed to play test tone.' :S

Make sure the volume is turned up enough for the speakers, and try going to the Control Panel - Troubleshooting.

Then to troubleshoot audio playback. Maybe it will find something.

If it wasn't for the fact you were getting sound out of your headset, I would think you might need additional audio drivers or possibly chipset drivers, but maybe the troubleshooting wizard will find the problem.

Same problem here bro. I am getting sound from my speakers but it is very distorted. I have tried Windows Update, update the driver in Device Manager but nothing works. My sound card is integrated to my Intel D946GZAB motherboard. Any ideas? I am suffering no sound for a week now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Problem fixed

I ended up using Recovery Manager that came with my HP laptop to re-install the sound card drivers, and now everything is working fine.

Back
Top Bottom