Windows 7 Programs Loading Problem

VsUK

I wasn't sure what topic to use as this is a strange one i cant seem to fix so here i am.

The problem is programs not loading when i click the pinned shortcut or start menu links or even going directly to the exe files themselves & clicking, it looks like its loading as the loading icon appears next to the mouse cursor but then goes & nothing happens. The programs show up in the Process tree in task manager but don't actually load up fully, for example firefox when it loads up fully is normally using around 55,000k until i start browsing & then increases as it should, however when it don't load up the memory usage is exactly the same each time 116k. This happens to most of the software installed apart from what i have to load up on boot like my av, fw n other utilities but cold loading seems to be problematic.

The OS is a recent install of Win7 64bit Ultimate & all installed fine & worked fine apart from the system rating doesn't appear to work when i click the rate this computer button nothing happens. The HD is fairly new a 1tb partitioned into 5 sections & has been fine up until a few days ago. I recently did a boot time defrag & once it completed which took a few hours everything appeared to be working fine & then when i turned it on today its back as normal.

Not sure what to do other that a new install which i really hope to avoid.

Thanks

Last edited:
I having the same issue. I am using Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. When I installed Windows 7 and the programs they ran fine. When I rebooted they stop working. They show in task manager like yours, but nothing shows on screen. Some folders like Control Panel, when I click the folder, it opens twice. The computer stays on all the time. One day everything started working, but I had to reboot for an update and now nothing is working again. I have tried running as admin and XP and still the same issue. I use Windows 7 Ultimate on another computer and everything runs fine.

Hi

I don't know what's going on but I would start by running Malwarebytes and making sure you don't have some kind of Malware that is blocking things.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Do you have a restore point that is back a few weeks when everything was working?

If so try that.

If you don't find any other solution I'd do a Repair Install.

Repair Install of Windows 7

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

Mine is a fresh install on a new computer with all updates and patches. It has only been running less than a week. I have ran Anti-(everything) on it. I'm going to try a reinstall but was wondering if the problem would persist. I'll post the results either way.

If you don't find any other solution I'd do a Repair Install.

Repair Install of Windows 7

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

Can i just state that you cant do a repair install using the same DVD used to install the OS in the first place as the problem i got is what i expected, it wont allow you to do a upgrade for the simple reason, the OS you have is more recent that what your upgrading to & only option you have is to close.

Maybe i missed something on the guide but it wont allow me to do this.

Last edited:
"Can i just state that you cant do a repair install using the same DVD used to install the OS in the first place as the problem i got is what i expected, it wont allow you to do a upgrade for the simple reason, the OS you have is more recent that what your upgrading to & only option you have is to close."

Hi

I was under the impression that, with a regular Widows installation DVD, it just overwrites the installation and then installs all the updates again.

I've only done this once myself, but many other posters here have said that they have done it and the walk through indicates that it is possible. I did it clear back when I was running beta but haven't done it from my DVD.

This was also the way to install from an upgrade DVD to a blank hard drive.
Install the OS, don't register it, then upgrade from the same DVD and it would except the original installation as the prior one and let you register.

Has anyone here done a repair lately who can comment?
If it doesn't work I'll stop suggesting it but I haven't seen anyone else saying that they couldn't do it.

Mike

Last edited:
Good question Mike. Now I'm wondering if the presence of Service Pack 1 on the existing OS, would prevent the repair install (basically an in place upgrade) because the version would appear greater or newer to the update process. It might require a DVD (install media) with Service Pack 1 incorporated into it already. Something to think about.

Good question Mike. Now I'm wondering if the presence of Service Pack 1 on the existing OS, would prevent the repair install (basically an in place upgrade) because the version would appear greater or newer to the update process.

In the past Windows OS's, before Windows 7, once a service pack was installed, the repair program thought it was older and would give some problems. I experienced this with Windows 98, WinNT, Win 2000 and XP. But there are ways around it. I have only installed Windows 7 three times (different pc's). This is the first time I have experienced a problem (not with repairing, but the problem stated above). I was not going to try to repair because I still have everything up-to-date on a backup drive. However, now I am curious and will try to repair the OS before I reinstall. I have tried a few different tricks tonight and still the problem is still there. I will not have a chance to repair it until tomorrow night.

It would be a shame if this won't work after the update, it's the easiest way to get Windows straightened out for people who don't back up their drive.

I fortunately am paranoid and have so many backups I can barely keep track of them.
I just backed up my computer again yesterday.

Mike

Well I know in XP if it was very far out of date a repair install didn't work. That's how I got into slipstreaming. He could always slipstream SP1 with something like RTSeven lite Link Removed - Invalid URL I did test with it on SP1 and it installed on a VM OK. I used the standalone SP1.
Joe

Well I'm to correct the previous post regarding the repair install, it does indeed fail if you have SP1 installed, however i managed to Uninstall SP1 successfully & rebooted. Then i attempted the repair install & it did go beyond the point where it wouldnt before but i couldnt continue as it was late & wouldnt of been up long enough to finish it.

So yes i read the info in the warning box & although it wasnt exactly clear to spot it does say if you have SP1 installed to uninstall it.

Anyways i never thought of the sfc /scannow so doing that now & then see what happens & if it dosnt fix anything i'll do the repair install.

Update.. After doing the repair install i could no longer boot my OS regardless of what i tried, the repair did the opposite in my opinion so I'm here from a fresh install. Everyone i got to welcome screen i got BSOD n i just didn't have the time or patience to bother fixing it & did a fresh install.

OK... I reinstalled. I do not have all of the updates and patches on the computer yet, but the problem seems to be gone. After I finish with everything I'll post again with the status. I'm just a little cautious because the problem occurred shortly after a fresh install to start with.

OK... I reinstalled. I do not have all of the updates and patches on the computer yet, but the problem seems to be gone. After I finish with everything I'll post again with the status. I'm just a little cautious because the problem occurred shortly after a fresh install to start with.
I think it might have something to do with SP1 as when i uninstalled it to do the repair install the problem wasn't so bad but still was there so it needed to be fixed. Set a system restore point before you install SP1 & if it happens go back & we will know the cause.

Just an update, all was working fine until i did a update for Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467174)
&
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173)

I made a system restore point before doing those updates & each time i installed them & my system rebooted my network refused to load as it was constantly in the loading icon & many programs refused to fully load.

Have they been any known issue's with ether of those as i am not sure which is the problem as i did both together.

System works flawless until i install those so i will leave them out for now even though its classed as Important...

Hi there, I'm getting the same problem as you had..

So you've skipped those 2 updates and just with that you get no more problems?

You think if I manage to uninstall them (idk if this can be done in 7 without a restore point though) things should come back to normal?

Hi there, I'm getting the same problem as you had..

So you've skipped those 2 updates and just with that you get no more problems?

You think if I manage to uninstall them (idk if this can be done in 7 without a restore point though) things should come back to normal?

You can uninstall windows updates. I do think you can uninstall windows 7 SP1 n all updates after that are also uninstalled & then just keep an eye out for those updates. But saying that i have since had those 2 updates installed as the brother was on pc & he let them install & the system still works fine apart from yest morning when i had to reboot to make programs load up again.

That leaves me with a dilemma, is it updates or is it a fault with the loading of win7 during boot up.

I've already talked to other people who share this problem and it seems that for al of us rebooting the system most of times "fixes it" (until you power down and start another time)

Back