MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Every Time I run Malwarebytes it finds and removes several unwanted programs.
This has been going on for some time.

Here's a screenshot that shows what the Pups are...

It's always the exact same programs, anyone know how to stop these from coming back?

They aren't getting installed Malwarebytes catches them every time but where are they coming from.

Mike

Solution
Here's what I would do.
  • Re-enable your account and let all the data sync (including the crap...)
  • Remove the account sign-in
  • Run malwarebytes until it's clean (verify in safe mode)
  • Go here Link Removed go to Chrome and 'Manage Chrome Sync'
  • At the bottom click the reset button
  • Now sign back into your account in chrome and your 'now clean data' should sync back up to Google
You'll want to close any open browsers. Remove the PUP from add/remove programs, then clean with MBs then I'd either reset your browser(s) or look in them to make sure they are not loading a webpage associated with conduit.

Conduit is a browser hijacker, so you may also want to try running HijackThis to look for remnants of it too

Thanks for the reply I'll have to check for them before running Malwarebytes, so far I haven't been able to find any sign of them.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can find them first thing in the morning and I'll check out HijackHijack This.

Hey.

I tried something else, I removed the Pups again, quarantined them and deleted them.
Then I used Malwarebytes to scan not my computer but only one file.

The same Pups came up again, so I think this is some malfunction in Malwarebytes, a Malfunctionwarebyte!

I'll contact Malwarebytes and see what they have to say.

Mike

Did you do this in safe mode or regular? If not redo the process in safe mode I would also try renaming your browser cache, or in the case of chrome, remove any accounts you have logged in as it may have sync'd the malicious add-on and keeps re-downloading it.

Hi

I'll check that out, in the meantime Malwarebytes admin asked my to run several processes that generated report files in .txt format.
I've sent those back to them and am waiting for their reply.

Mike

I logged out of my Google account and removed the Google Chrome Data file (I changed the name) and then rebooted my computer.
I ran Malwarebytes and it came up clean.

Then I opened Chrome and visited several websites, and then ran Malwarebytes again and it came up clean again.

So we'll see how it goes from now on and eventually I'll sign back into my account again.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Here's what I would do.
  • Re-enable your account and let all the data sync (including the crap...)
  • Remove the account sign-in
  • Run malwarebytes until it's clean (verify in safe mode)
  • Go here Link Removed go to Chrome and 'Manage Chrome Sync'
  • At the bottom click the reset button
  • Now sign back into your account in chrome and your 'now clean data' should sync back up to Google

Solution
I'll do it as soon as I get time, in the mean time I will leave it like it is.
Busy week.

Mike

Hi Neemo

This seems to be fixed, it's been quite a while and the problem didn't come back.

I'm getting close to time to get a new computer, I'm looking forward to having an SSD just for my game installs.

Should cut down those load times.

Mike

Back