Windows 7 Question about dual boot

Janis Skaris

Hello everyone!

I have one question.
In my computer I have already two OS - ubuntu and windows 8. Can I install third OS - windows 7 and remove ubuntu? If you have please give me some tutorial how to do that.
P.S. sorry for my english. I hope you all can understand what i'm saying.
I hope I can find some answer.

If you install the new operating system to the partition currently used by Ubuntu then it should remove Ubuntu and at the same time overwrite the boot information for Ubuntu with the new one It may or may not need you to run a boot utility such as easyBcd.

If you install the new operating system to the partition currently used by Ubuntu then it should remove Ubuntu and at the same time overwrite the boot information for Ubuntu with the new one It may or may not need you to run a boot utility such as easyBcd.
So if I now install win7 it removes ubuntu? But win8 stays?

Yes but you may have to make changes to the boot menu afterwards.

See if it proves necessary first. You may find that your system boots only into the new Windows 7. If so then you will need to download a program to help you add a boot menu and put both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the menu.

See if it proves necessary first. You may find that your system boots only into the new Windows 7. If so then you will need to download a program to help you add a boot menu and put both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the menu.
Please tell me this programs name. Do you have some video tutorials how to do this all?

You will need a a custom (advanced) install. Make sure that the partition you install to is the old Ubuntu partition - do not accidentally overwrite the Windows 8 partition (you can check this by looking at the different sizes of the two partitions. Provided that you take care to do this you should have no problems with files on the Windows 8 drive as none of them should be affected. Even so, I would copy any important files to an external drive to be sure of preserving them. You should also have a set of recovery disks burned to recover your Windows 8 installation. If your pc came with Windows 8 pre-installed then it should have a utility program to burn a set of recovery disks. If it was not pre-installed then you should have the Windows 8 disks need to re-install it in case of a problem.

You will need a a custom (advanced) install. Make sure that the partition you install to is the old Ubuntu partition - do not accidentally overwrite the Windows 8 partition (you can check this by looking at the different sizes of the two partitions. Provided that you take care to do this you should have no problems with files on the Windows 8 drive as none of them should be affected. Even so, I would copy any important files to an external drive to be sure of preserving them. You should also have a set of recovery disks burned to recover your Windows 8 installation. If your pc came with Windows 8 pre-installed then it should have a utility program to burn a set of recovery disks. If it was not pre-installed then you should have the Windows 8 disks need to re-install it in case of a problem.
Thanks. This really helpped me.

Back