Windows 7 Question on Reinstallation

flexbuffchest

Hey guys,

I currently have Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
installed and I have to reinstall Win7 due to a dying hard drive. Because of this I plan on buying some new RAM and a new hard drive (an SSD if it matters.) My only concern is that I would be forced to buy a new key for Windows 7 Professional.

It's been a couple years since I've installed Win7 and I still have my CD key. Aside from upgrading the RAM and a new HDD all the other hardware is the same. I would hope that reinstalling with the same CD key would be no issue but I am not certain. I would really hate it if I was forced to buy a new copy of Win7 Professional as those are quite expensive.

Another issue is that I bought Office 2010 and apparently I deleted the email that contained my receipt/key for the program. Is there any way through Microsoft to get this back?

Thank you.

Hi,

Go to Run and type appdata and you will be able to see outlook in that you have the .pst folder.Import the e-mails from there and there are chances to retrieve the previous mails.But no assurance.

For the Office key get a copy of produkey from here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

You may or may not have a activation problem having changed your hardware config but there are ways to deal with it and you would not need to buy a new key - se this MS guide here:

Genuine Windows: frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows

Thanks for the links. I do not know what question specifically you linked to in the second link as that went to a general FAQ, but it is helpful.

If the OS is a retail copy...no problems. If the OS is an OEM copy, as patcoke pointed out, you might run into an activation problem if you do then just call MS and explain the issue...ie HDD failure and the should activate it for you.

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by phone

I'm 99.9% sure that this is an OEM copy. I bet im going to have to call to get it reactivated, I hope they understand.

I bet im going to have to call to get it reactivated, I hope they understand.

I've found them very helpful on the odd occasion I've needed to do it - there was no "third degree" and they seem to assume your intentions are honourable unless they have good reason to suspect otherwise.

Back