Windows 7 Random (but a bit different) disconnects from internet

Liquidz0R

Hi,

I've been reading for several days no to find a solution, and none of the tips I found over here, nor on the official Windows 7 forum worked for me, I'm completely puzzled by what's happening to my internet.

First of all, it seems I have a similar problem to a lot of people -> My LAN connection tends to drop out on me.
Now, it is not for the same reason as other people are saying here, my connection just drops when the load on my net isn't even that high at all ...

Things I tried already:
- Removing myself from the home-network group
- Enabling DNS manually (instead of the automatic settings which I always have done)
- Troubleshooting
- Disabling most of my components on that particular LAN connection ( QoS, IPv6 etc)

Now, and this is the part where it gets very weird ... I noticed that my connection doesn't drop completely, it seems *something* just cuts off my outgoing signal (upload) at certain times. The way how I noticed this is, because I sometimes play a game, while playing Call of duty ... everything went fine but every 1-2mins my connection would drop and I'd be lagging, not being able to do anything _at all_ for about 10 seconds. The thing I noticed is that I can still see other players move, and I'm on Teamspeak (sort of voice chat prog) with some friends a lot of the time and I can still hear them talking too, but it's just me who can't do a single thing.

I eventually tried something which I didn't want to try, because it's just not handy but I connected my PC directly to the modem (instead of a router which is in between) and I've had 0 problems since then ... makes me think it is an issue Windows7 has when trying to address local IPs or something and something really goes terribly wrong.

So, my situation is fixed temporarely but I'd love to use my router for internet ... I've had no problems running XP, Linux, Mac on it for several years and I'm so sure it's Windows 7 ... would be awesome if somebody could tell me if there's a way to fix my Home group :), I'd be verry happy!

Thanks

Hello and welcome

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 .Download http://majorgeeks.com/SIV_System_Information_Viewer_d4779.html]System Information Viewer) 3.36[/URL]
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your network adapter would be of great help along with motherboard specs.

Hi reghakr,

Thanks for informing me, I'll do this when I get back home, I'm currently at work.

I'll post a reply when my information is updated.

hmyea just a tip but take a look at my post further down aswell..it describes the problem yet again its a w7 fault simple as that...

Ok, come to think of it, I know most of my hardware parts by heart since I configured this sytem this weekend. Anyway, if you take a look at my system-tab in this topic you should see I updated it.

Anyway, reghakr, if you know something that might change my problem, that'd be great ... others might have a solution too, and then I'd be more than glad to hear it!

@Hudrin: Yes, I know, I read your posts but your post is somewhat different from mine. First of all: my internet is fine, the connection itself doesn't drop at all, as you mentioned as well. I can still surf/do other things on the internet with my laptop (which is a mac) and with another computer (which is running on XP) so I know the problem lies within the Windows 7 configuration.

The thing about my post which is a bit different than somewhat all the other posts I read so far (a lot!) is that it seems to be a router problem in my case. For one: my router works fine as I said, other systems keep their connection so it's not that. I'm quite sure Windows7 just tries to juggle about with local IP addresses or just isn't able to maintain an IP address given through DHCP.

I plugged my connection straight into the modem, and that works fabulous (but, as you mentioned (Hudrin), just now I got my first internet problem where I had to turn my LAN connection off and on, but I can live with that).

The thing I'm concerned, but at the same curious about, is the WAY Windows7 makes my connection behave. As I said, from time to time I play a game or 2 and last night I was playing Call of Duty and my connection just dropped out while I was playing. I wasn't getting disconnected (time-out durations I'm getting aren't that long) and the most weird thing about it was that I could still see other people move and hear my friends on TeamSpeak.

This being said: I don't think Windows7 drops the connection completely, it just blocks outgoing signals (which causes me to stand still and not being able to do a thing in-game) or atleast it appears to me that way.

Anyone who can reply to me on that particular subject? Would be much appreciated, thanks!

Note: Just to get this straight, I'm not having internet problems (so far) when my connection is plugged straight into my modem, the problems I'm talking about are when I'm connected to my Home Group, which is only enabled when connected to my router.
I think the problem either lies within the way the Home Group (maybe other groups too, I don't know...) works, or it's just a general networking problem caused by Windows 7, but as for me, I think it has to do with the Home Group.

Last edited:
have you checked your power settings on your NIC ?

do you have a third party firewall that could be interfering ?

have you tried with your AntiVirus unninstalled or using MSE which appears so far to be problem free ?

Hi,

I've been reading for several days no to find a solution, and none of the tips I found over here, nor on the official Windows 7 forum worked for me, I'm completely puzzled by what's happening to my internet.

First of all, it seems I have a similar problem to a lot of people -> My LAN connection tends to drop out on me.
Now, it is not for the same reason as other people are saying here, my connection just drops when the load on my net isn't even that high at all ...

Things I tried already:
- Removing myself from the home-network group
- Enabling DNS manually (instead of the automatic settings which I always have done)
- Troubleshooting
- Disabling most of my components on that particular LAN connection ( QoS, IPv6 etc)

Now, and this is the part where it gets very weird ... I noticed that my connection doesn't drop completely, it seems *something* just cuts off my outgoing signal (upload) at certain times. The way how I noticed this is, because I sometimes play a game, while playing Call of duty ... everything went fine but every 1-2mins my connection would drop and I'd be lagging, not being able to do anything _at all_ for about 10 seconds. The thing I noticed is that I can still see other players move, and I'm on Teamspeak (sort of voice chat prog) with some friends a lot of the time and I can still hear them talking too, but it's just me who can't do a single thing.

I eventually tried something which I didn't want to try, because it's just not handy but I connected my PC directly to the modem (instead of a router which is in between) and I've had 0 problems since then ... makes me think it is an issue Windows7 has when trying to address local IPs or something and something really goes terribly wrong.

So, my situation is fixed temporarely but I'd love to use my router for internet ... I've had no problems running XP, Linux, Mac on it for several years and I'm so sure it's Windows 7 ... would be awesome if somebody could tell me if there's a way to fix my Home group :), I'd be verry happy!

Thanks

hey man i got the same problem now.. a year on. just happened in the last few days where i open a game cs:s or even a non steam game and my internet just switches off. like completely disconnects.
just wondering how you fixed your problem, or if you fixed your problem!

Hey, just reviving this thread because I have the same issue. Did anyone update graphics drivers and then start having issues? I don't have direct to modem access, so I need a solution other than that one.

Finally, A Solution!

Hi All.

I have been having this problem for some time with several computers on my corporate network for quite some time now. I too, believed that this somehow must have been an issue with Windows 7 as it occures across multiple hardware platforms. It was so easy to blame Microsoft for a faulty OS, as history dictates a repeat of their shoddy business practice of releasing incomplete and unfinished OS's. However, after much research I have discovered that this issue is NOT a Windows issue but, rather, is most likely an Adobe or Itunes issue. The culprit is
mDNSResponder.exe, a little piece of software from Apple which is installed with iTunes and which Adobe added to it's CS line of Products. This IS what was causing the issue on my corporate network. I could connect to my local network, however the internet intermittently dropped out and returned a default gateway of 0.0.0.0 instead of my usual 10.1.1.1 which I would have expected to see. Obviously, I could not get out past the router. Here is an article that explaines the issue very well. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Here is how I fixed it.

1. Go to LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks and download lspfix.zip.
2. Unzip to a desktop folder.
3. Open task manager and terminate mDNSResponder.exe.
4. Open a Command Prompt (Start-Run-Type Cmd then press the OK button)Type the following: "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -remove This will uninstall the exe and remove the service from the registry. Alternately you may delete or REM mDNSResponder.exe manually, however, You will need to manually open regedit and delete all entries of mDNSResponder from the registry. There are only about 6 instances of it.
6. Rename mdnsnsp.dll to REMmdnsnsp.dll
7. Reboot.

IF you find that after the reboot that you are having a winsocks error, follow the next few steps. Should NOT be necessary in most cases.

8. Run lspfix and use it to fix the broken winsock dll.
9. Delete c:\program files\bonjour folder.
9. Open a Command prompt as you did in step 4 above and type netsh winsock reset , then hit enter.
10. Reboot.

Re: Finally, A Solution!

Eric:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Noticed your post and just wanted to check with you, are you absolutely certain that the LSP-Fix program that you have linked to in your post, which is dated 2006, works in Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit versions) with no adverse affects or problems?
Haven't personally used it since Windows XP, and usually simply disabling either the Bonjour Service and or it's cousins like ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## ( a product of installing early versions of Adobe Creative Suites, CS2 and CS3 I think) will generally stop mDNSresponder.exe from running and wreaking havoc with DNS resolution.

Back
Top Bottom