Windows 7 Random Windows 7 problem.

Timothy

So I have a strange problem with Windows 7. I've got a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, full version, not upgrade. Randomly when the computer boots up into windows it seems as though when I open and close windows they're moving in slow motion. Once the window is open, I can interact with it normally, it's just the inital launch of it, where it kind of fades in, and gets slightly larger moves really slow. I really don't understand it. I have to completely turn off the PC and turn it back on, restarting doesn't work, in order for it to act normally again. I do not keep my PC on if I'm not using it.

It's pretty rare, I would say 1 out of 20 times it'll do it. Once it's happened though, other then completely shutting it off I haven't found out any way to fix it or even slightly modify it at all. I've tried messing around with settings once it's actually in the middle of it and it doesn't have any effect.

Performance wise Windows acts normally, once the window is open. I've tried playing a game while it's doing this and it has the same result, everything moves in slow motion. But it's not FPS lag, it's almost like it's moving 1/4 the normal speed. Like I've said, if I completely turn off the computer and turn it back on everything is normal. Also, I never leave my machine on if I'm not using it, I always shut it completely down.

The first time I experienced this problem it was RIGHT after I performed a clean install of Windows. No software installed other then the Drivers and support programs like CCleaner, Defraggler and Auslogics Boost Speed.

DX Diag of my system:
Time of this report: 11/15/2009, 11:54:13
Machine name: TIM-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5E
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/04/08 15:18:35 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8144MB RAM
Page File: 1413MB used, 15871MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

And of course no problems found. All my drivers are up to the current date and Windows is fully up to date, other then the language packs.

Hardware:
MOBO: ASUS P5E
CPU: E6850 3.0 overclocked to 3.6
RAM: 8 gigs
Video: Nvidia 8800 GTX performence edition.
Sound: X-FI Gamer
Hard Drives: I've got two SSD drives in RAID 0 that I have the OS on. All other programs/games are installed on a 1TB drive. All drivers updates and essitenal software is installed on my SSD drives.

I built this system roughly two years ago, when I did, I orderd the parts x2 for my father. So he has the exact same computer. He's running Windows 7 Home Premium and he doesn't have this problem at all.

I work as a computer Tech my self and haven't ran into this problem on any other Windows 7 machine. When I showed it to my father, which is also a computer Tech he hadn't seen or heard of it either.

Honestly, it's a small problem. Easily fixed by a cold shut off, but still if there is a solution, or if someone is experiencing this problem more frequently then I am a solution would be nice.

Sorry for the lengthy description, it's a hard problem to define with words. I actually thought about using FRAPS when it happens and uploading it to like YouTube or something. Just so people understood what I was talking about.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. If you need additonal information because I'm sure I forgot something along the way just let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.

-Tim

I don't actually remember seeing this before, but maybe I have. Perhaps it has something to do with the overclocking. Can you change your overclocking speed and see if the drift stops or changes?

The other thing might be the video driver. Are you using one from Nvidia or from the Windows Update?

I'm going out on a limb here, but what anti-virus program do you have installed on your computer?

I could undo the over-clocking quite easily. My bio's can save the settings. The only problem with that is that my problem is not consistant enough for that to be an effective test. I'm using the offical Nvidia driver.

It was a clean install. I had to input the RAID 0. Clean install was the only choice, not that I would have done an upgrade if it was available.

Kaspersky 2010. I've tried disabling it while it happens with no effect. Plus it happened before I installed Kaspersky.

So, I had upgraded my Video driver directly from Nvidia.

Turned my computer on today, annnd it happened. It's actually in the middle of it right now. Typing, surfing the web and music are unaffected. It's only on the inital launch of programs OR in games. I'm half tempted to download FRAPS and just record it. Lol

Infact I'll go do that and see if I can get it on youtube.

So, I had upgraded my Video driver directly from Nvidia.

Turned my computer on today, annnd it happened. It's actually in the middle of it right now. Typing, surfing the web and music are unaffected. It's only on the inital launch of programs OR in games. I'm half tempted to download FRAPS and just record it. Lol

Infact I'll go do that and see if I can get it on youtube.
A couple of simple things.... Have you looked at the cpu time of your processes while this is going on? Sounds like something is running that is using most of your CPU time. Have you tried turning off caching to your HD? With 8 gig of ram you certainly don't need to be doing that (at least on a trial basis). Also, make sure indexing is turned off.

Yes, try going to Start > Run, and type msconfig and click the Startup tab,

Uncheck all entires except for for your ant-virus software, spyware detester, and personal fiewall
if youy have one,

Now resstart your computer.

Yeah, I have looked at my CPU when it's doing it, it's at normal levels of usage. I don't believe it's the CPU though, it can still process quickly once it needs to. I've tried doing file transfers and they all went quickly. I went to all my different drives and just copied large files over and they were fine. To possibly explain the problem a little better: It's litterally the animation when the window is being opened, it starts out smaller and enlarges. That process of enlargement is slowed significantly. I have my cahce, indexing and limited page filing for what it'll allow me.

I already have everything off as it is. :p This is a gaming PC, nothing that doesn't need to be on, isn't.

In all honesty, I have no explaination for my problem. If I had to guess I would say it's either the Video card itself, or possibly one of the drivers wasn't completely compatible with Windows 7 and occasionally messes up. But even then I think it would occur more often if there was a real problem with the hardware or software. What strikes odd to me is that it's so random.

When I installed Windows 7 on my machine I downloaded all the newest drivers for all of my hardware, including all of my chipset drivers etc. So I'll wait a little bit once they come out with newer ones and if that doesn't fix my problem I'm just going to have to wipe my PC and start fresh again. If it happens after I wipe it, it would have to be hardware.

It's not that big of a deal to me having to wait the 5 seconds it takes to turn my PC off and turn it back on. I just do not like to have my computer doing something I'm not aware of and apparently can't fix, or explain.

Because of that, I'm still open for any suggestions. I wouldn't trouble yourself over it, but any suggestions would be of great use. Thanks again for all your time.

-Tim

Hey all.
It seems we may have a similiar, if not the same, problem.
What happens to me is roughly the same: when opening a new window of windows explorer, it freezes for some time, unaffecting other processes that may be running.
Also, when I try to navigate to a new webpage on both IE and Chrome, it takes a LOT of time to establish a connection, but once I'm in, it easilys moves inside the website. For example: Launch Chrome->Use abandonia.com link->Lots of time->navigates to abandonia homepage->click a game link->no time at all->navigate to the game page.

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop, 2GB RAM, nVidia graphics, and I had a clean install of W7 Professional. I have the Kaspersky 2010 installed and I strongly believe it may be related. I am about to uninstall it and see how that goes, but if anyone else has any better idea I'd like to know.

Thanks

If that doesn't fix the problem you may want to open Task Scheduler and just turn off everything... better yet,... well without having to type this all over again, I'll just paste from my blog: (ignore the htlm code- i'm sleepy)

By DEFAULT there are almost 150 tasks enabled after a clean install of Win 7.
Most don't actually run all the time but many are diagnostic tasks and some
tasks just send report logs to Microsoft. They are triggered by a multitude of
events and they take baud width and system resources. I'm convinced that there
are enough people who won't turn them off... and Microsoft can check with their
customer support department... to get a pretty good idea of what they need to
fix, WITHOUT using my computer. They should be paying me to leave these task
turned on.
<P>BAD: there are software programs that insert their updates checks, registration
check, error reporting, etc. from the Task Scheduler... they will tax the system
and can cause problems when they automatically activate. You can check for
updates from within your favorite applications. Updating every time a new feature
is available is using your system for beta testing.
<P>UGLY: worse of all are viruses/trojans/malware/crapware that uses Task Scheduler
to get loaded. When they are activated undesirable results are inevitable. If
Task Scheduler is turned off, that avenue will no longer be available for them
to do their dirty work.
<P>You can run Task Scheduler and disable them on an individual basis (if you want
to leave some running) or simply turn off the Task Scheduler. I have the entire
Task Scheduler disabled. It can NOT be disabled by unchecking a box when you run
Msconfig and go to Services. Here is the manual method to turn off the Task Scheduler.

<P>Run these commands from a command prompt or put them into a batch file and run it.
<P>takeown /f c:\windows\system32\taskschd.msc /a
<P>icacls c:\windows\system32\taskschd.msc /grant administrators:f
<P>cd c:\windows\system32
<P>ren taskschd.msc taskschd.mscc
<P>pause
<P>Verify that it DID get renamed. Things like sharing violations can still get in the way.
<P>If you have connection lags and problems go to Task Manager /services /services
and Disabled the Function Discovery Resource Publication service
<P>Note: Windows 7's new "HomeGroup" connectivity requires this service.

<P>Here are about 30 Win 7 services that can be turned off:

Thanks tblount, I'll be sure to check some of these services, I'm always looking for ways to improve the OS.

I uninstalled Kaspersky and now everything seems to be running smoothly. I'll install another anti-virus/firewall (Comodo probably) and see if nothing else happens.

Should I post this somewhere else? Make a new thread or something? It seems to me this is kinda important :p

Thanks tblount, I'll be sure to check some of these services, I'm always looking for ways to improve the OS.

I uninstalled Kaspersky and now everything seems to be running smoothly. I'll install another anti-virus/firewall (Comodo probably) and see if nothing else happens.

Should I post this somewhere else? Make a new thread or something? It seems to me this is kinda important :p

Microsoft Security Essentials is the AV program that was designed to run in Win 7 and it updates automatically when windows updates.. and it's free.

I haven't ever had an antivirus program all the time. I usually go to Panda Activescan online and let it check my system a couple times a year. I may run Security Essentials once a month. Malware is the threat... viruses can be avoided with a little common sense.

Last edited:
Microsoft Security Essentials is the AV program that was designed to ruin with Win 7:D

Yes,. Microsoft apps sure do ruin Windows..

I'll select my own,. thank you..............freeware or open source.

Back