Windows 7 Re-installed Win 7 over XP. Can not access the net.

wingar

Hi,
I found this forum a while ago & it looked like a good site to boomark. Now it might
come in handy.

I have looked over this forum and have seen some similar to my problem but not the same. Maybe someone can help me with it.

I have a HP Pavilion a810n that originaly came with Win XP. Almost two years ago I upgraded
to Win7 Pro. It ran fine but it wouldn't connect to the net. It was telling me about my
network adapter wasn't right. I took it to a pc shop and they said I needed a NIC card.
They put a used one in (that's what they told me they did?) and it worked fine.

Recently I had to re-install the Win7 OS. My pc will not connect to the net again.

This is what it's telling me:
(( Install a driver for your network adapter
"Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter.
If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver." ))

The pc store that I took it to has since closed down. I am tryin not to
take it somewhere because $ is tight and I just need pointed
in the right direction.

That NIC is still in but I'm thinking it might just be the driver?

It looks like the NIC is made by Agere. I looked that company up but
it merged with LSI Corporation back in 07. I can't find it at the site.

I'm not sure what all info I need to put up but here is some basic:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC.
Chipset Vendor SiS
Chipset Model 760

When I go to device manager, I get "Unknown Manufacture."
My sound says the same thing but getting on the net is my main goal.
I did use that one site that someone suggested to find the VIN/DEV.
I'm not sure what it was telling me.
VEN: 1039
DEV: 0900
Any help would be appriciated.

The unit is supposed to have a "Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface", but it appears to be a little old, so a driver may not longer be available. Have you checked the HP site?

If Device manager is not reading a device, the information generated may not be helpful, but using the Properties, Details tab may give you a hardware ID number, or a Display name, or something else.

What does Windows 7 say when it looks for a driver?

Do you have a model number for the ASUS motherboard?

According to the basic HP page, they don't have drivers for Windows 7. That leaves you with various other pages. I made a search, the only I could find was Link Removed - Invalid URL

You might take your chance with that one? Otherwise, HP doesn't have anything for Windows 7.

Hi,
First let me apologize for not getting back to these posts sooner. Right after I posted about my problem, my other pc
stopped working and I was limited on getting on the net & then there was a death in the family over the weekend.

Almost everything is back to normal except my other pc but that is minor.

Thank you all for trying to help me with this :) I was all over the web to try & find the driver, I was at that HP's site but never
seen that exact page before. I did book those sites for future reference.

The pc store that originally installed my NIC, I found they didn't close but moved. I talked to them, then took my pc in.

They had the driver, installed it & it worked perfectly. I then went to my device manager & looked it up what was installed.
It was a "SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter." I went to SiS's site and downloaded it for future uses.

Thanks again for all the help from you guys :)

Back