Windows 7 Realtek - Speakers & Digital Output

Armani

Hey guys... I'm having a problem. I asked about it in sevenforums.com, but I didn't got answer. So the problem is, that I don't know what is digital output device and should I have it ON, because I am having speakers device set to default, because digital output is not working... When I listen to music while digital output is set to default, sound is flashing, but no sound. BTW, I have Realtek 6.0.1.6101. ASUS Z96S Laptop. Please, help me :(

Digital Out

Digital output refers to newer devices that do not use regular cables to connect sound. For example, an HDMI cable connected to a TV would use a Digital Out since it is using a high-definition media interface. Using regular gold or silver cables to connect a speaker system into your computer creates what would now be termed an Analog Output.

Some people have experienced problems with the newer Realtek audio drivers deferring to Digital Out as the default output and not detecting the analog connection going into the computer from the speakers.

You would only be able to use Digital Out with a high definition audio system like a home theater system or a set of expensive speakers that use a digital input. In the case that you are having difficulty using the latest drivers, you may want to disable Digital Out in Windows or remove the Realtek drivers from Control Panel -> Programs to alleviate the program altogether.

Digital output refers to newer devices that do not use regular cables to connect sound. For example, an HDMI cable connected to a TV would use a Digital Out since it is using a high-definition media interface. Using regular gold or silver cables to connect a speaker system into your computer creates what would now be termed an Analog Output.

Some people have experienced problems with the newer Realtek audio drivers deferring to Digital Out as the default output and not detecting the analog connection going into the computer from the speakers.

You would only be able to use Digital Out with a high definition audio system like a home theater system or a set of expensive speakers that use a digital input. In the case that you are having difficulty using the latest drivers, you may want to disable Digital Out in Windows or remove the Realtek drivers from Control Panel -> Programs to alleviate the program altogether.

GOSH I LOVE U!!!!!!! :> So, I should keep using the ''Speakers'' as default device?

I had a similar problem recently right after installing a new video card, my default audio device changed to hdmi. So, I opened my Realtek manager (from tray or Control Panel) -> Speakers tab -> Set this device default audio output.

I have a Genius 5.1 home theater audio system. What settings do I need on Realtek manager? How this realtek digital Output works in my case? If I set it as default I dont have any sound from my system.And whats the difference between the default device and default comunication device?

Last edited:
If you right click the speaker icon and select Playback Devices, what options do you show?

What type of output are you using to connect to the Home Theater system?

I have a similar issue... What i'm trying to do is output both from the digital optic and speaker tabs at the same time. I'm only seeing the option to enable one at a time by making it default for the output device. Is there any way to enable BOTH to output at the same time?? I'm trying to go out to a surround and some pc speakers... spent hours trying to figure it out but can't make any headway.

I'm about to buy one of these:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

and split the optic out to one of these to allow the dual-function, but i think its STUPID that my pc simply refuses to send sound out on a channel that should be supported, but doesn't due to software limitations. Looking to get this figured out to save myself $100 worth of unnecessary hardware.

If you could help me with this it would be VERY MUCH appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom